main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Everyone in this thread would like to see those things fixed. If you think they don't, you're a nut. No one is anti-following the rules we already have.

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

This sounds similar to what proponents of various other proposed laws such as gay marriage, Abortion tto name but two suggest you religious types very frequently

Don't want to get married to the same sex then don't

Don't want an abortion, then don't

This swings both ways

You want to own a gun. Fine, there are very few people advocating an outright ban, just some more sensible laws surround who can have a gun and what type of gun they have.

If you want to get all resentful over the fact you can't own super sub 9000 multi bullet super kill machine in your own home, then perhaps that's because that gun and type of gun has frequently been used to kill vast amounts of kids at school and as a result the right to own that type of gun needs to be restricted and the kids right to life far exceed your right to have a weapon of death.

Now a rule could be implemented that says you could own this gun provided XYZ was followed but you gun rights individuals obfuscate and piss and moan consistently as more and more kids are killed by people who should never have access to these things as a result XYZ is never defined and kids are killed that frequently, no one wants to discuss it as "Now is not the time".

Home defence can easily be maintained with a handgun or a shotgun with a handful of cartridges loaded. (or an alarm for deterrent and a big eff off dog)

You're worried about being mugged, then just give them your stuff and claim on your insurance as lives are worth more than stuff irrespective how scummy the mugger is.

But no, rather than try to engage and see what reasonable laws could be looked into that helps you'll obfuscate and get pissy and moan and this damn thread will repeat the same cycle time after time after time until you go away again or your brother returns or we get a noob who drive by posts until they get bored but also gets pissy and moans.

And all the while kids die in schools almost weekly.

It's as if you believe your right to a gun is greater than another persons right to a life.

And I thought you were religious. If your god advocates for this sort of thing then I'm beyond glad I'm an atheist as valuing a death dealing lump of metal over the life of anyone is just sick.

V-2, Outsourced, TCF-1138 and 4 others like this.
  3. Mostlymad

Mostlymad Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2017
    What I don’t understand is why you all have such a hard on to get rid of particular guns? Get rid of AR15s, then a different gun is used. Gotta get rid of that one now. Then the next, and the next... see where this is going? This is why gun enthusiasts “piss and moan” cause you aren’t solving the underlying issue. Hell you aren’t even addressing it.

A common theme in all this is most of these shooters are victims of bullying and are inspired by the incessant media coverage of past shootings. These killers want the attention, want revenge, want to stop being harassed, and want to one up the killer before them.

Our culture, not the guns, is the problem. Parents aren’t instilling proper values in their kids. Our communities aren’t as tight knit as they once were. As a society we live in far too much fear compared to just a few decades ago despite overall crime rates decreasing.

How about instead of trying to prevent people from having access to weapons (cause face it, near anything can be turned into a weapon so you can’t get rid of them) we instead work to prevent these people from turning into killers in the first place?

4. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I 100% agree that you should be doing all that too.

100%

But that sort of stuff costs money and as you don't have any sort of nhs type system that would enable these people to get the help they need without bankrupting them..

Consider it a two pronged approach.

Deal with the insane level of proliferation of weapons by making it a little harder to obtain and also perhaps removing some types of weapons as well as putting a decent level if healthcare in place that supports those who do have mental issues.

The second one is a bit too communisty for some of you so that's a bust and the first is always put on hold as a result of pissy moany wahgarble or as more kids have been killed it's clearly too soon to talk about it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So what are countries such as Canada and Australia and the UK doing to “instill proper values in children” and make their communities tight knit that we aren’t doing?

I’m not buying the “victims of bullying” excuse, BTW. I’m glad that bullying is being recognized as a problem and taken seriously now, but let’s not pretend that nobody was ever bullied in the past, or even that bullying was not as rampant in the past—in fact, I think it was far more rampant. But no one was shooting up schools in response.

I’m certainly in favor of “not turning people into killers” but I’m also in favor of not giving them the weapons to kill—and the issue with AR-15s and similar guns is that they can kill many, many people in a few seconds. There are guns in which the user has to reload after only one shot or a few shots. Using the Parkland shooting as one example—Cruz killed 17 people in six seconds because he had an AR-15. If he had had a gun with a smaller magazine, the death toll would not have been nearly as high. The Vegas shooter also would not have been able to kill over 50 people in a few minutes with a gun with a shorter range and a smaller magazine.

Rew and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I agree. Handguns are used much more often to murder people and commit suicide than rifles are, so a gun ban needs to be much more comprehensive than simply "assault weapons."

Not true. That's an incessant myth that originated with the myth that the Columbine shooters were motivated by having been victims of bullying. This recent newspaper shooting, for example, was carried out by someone who harassed and threatened people and would be more accurately characterized as a bully himself.

Like someone said earlier, you're just bringing up the same old talking points that have been beaten to death in this thread already. But JediSmuggler has been around forever and he's still doing it, so [face_dunno].

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  7. Mostlymad

May 12, 2017
    Just because one or more shootings don’t fit that narrative doesn’t mean that many of the others do. But since you brought it up do you feel like most of these shooters are irredeemable and unreachable psychopaths like Columbine’s Haris?

8. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Why does it matter if they're "irredeemable psychopaths"?

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It should be easy for irredemable psychopaths to get guns, obvs.

10. Mostlymad

May 12, 2017
    It’s relevant to whether we discuss treating an underlying problem or not.
    Tell me, the new fish, how is it easy to get a gun?

11. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Most bullies, from what I can tell, were victims of domestic abuse and/or have anti-social personality disorder. A few of them have good home lives, but are bullied at school. Or work. Or wherever.

It's understandable why some would want to gloss over this: because admitting such feels like an attempt to sympathize with and to some degree excuse the murder of innocent people.

But no. If you honestly want to solve this issue, you look into all the contributing factors. I realize the attribution of shooters to bullying started with Columbine, but... that's the incident that started it all.

Are there any here with psychology degrees? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it usually does take some sort of serious trauma to transform what we would term a sociopath into a homicidal psychopath. "A sociopath is more likely to take your wallet than your life", as the phrase goes?

Yesterday I made a post here about teaching emotional intelligence in schools. Schools are mostly state, but it doesn't matter. One state adopting the new paradigm would inevitably lead to others doing the same when it turned out to be helpful.

Nobody responded. I guess the government taking away everyone's firearms is a more realistic first step toward utopia than explaining to girls and boys how to get along?

"Teach men not to rape. Or shoot up schools. And everything else toxic masculinity implies."

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m all in favor of teaching emotional intelligence in schools and in fact there are programs that already do so (I’m also pretty sure I “liked” your post yesterday, although, no, I did not give a response at the time) but addressing the gun culture problem (which would not necessarily involve taking everyone’s guns, just creating a culture similar to other first-world democracies) would or should be a more immediate solution. I absolutely think toxic masculinity needs to be addressed and that issue can run alongside addressing the gun culture.

There is a program called Let Me Run which is for boys from 4th to 8th grade; in addition to teaching the benefits of running and overall physical fitness, it addresses toxic masculinity. I haven’t gone through the training so I’m not sure of the particulars; my point is more that such programs are available in many schools and are becoming more and more commonplace.

It’s a start; whether it will solve the problem that the gun culture has created remains to be seen.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Is "the new fish" solojones' new nickname and I've just missed it until now? Because I am totally on board with that.

14. JediSmuggler

JediSmuggler Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 1999
    Only now, you run headlong into the rulings in Heller and McDonald, which clearly place handguns within the scope of the right protected by the Second Amendment.

Or do you want to repeal the Amendment?

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes, people who've been posting here for 18 years are obviously new, mewling infants who know nothing of the world.

And how is it easy to get a gun? What? At gun shows you can get one without a waiting period or a background check. Or maybe you could just google places to buy guns online and find several in a matter of minutes. Or just walk into your local Walmart.

Or how about your relative dies, gifts you a gun in their will, and you call up the state to ask them how to register it... And they tell you your state doesn't keep any registries on any guns. So literally anyone could have any kind of gun and no one would know. Even though you have to register your car every year and have a license to drive one, none of that is required with a gun in my state and others.

But sure, super hard to get guns. It was definitely super hard for me to get a totally unlicensed, untracked gun that could kill people. Society just happens to be lucky in this case that I am both not murderous or suicidal and a responsible gun owner about it.

I guess luck is a good substitute for sensible policy.

V-2, Rew, Jedi Merkurian and 5 others like this.
  16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I am aware of the Supreme Court's stupid opinions on the matter. I don't really care about the Second Amendment or the U.S. Constitution as a whole, so yeah, sure, if that's what it takes, repeal it.

Rew and CT-867-5309 like this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Heller accelerated the issues we have today, not only with guns but with police brutality. There is literally nothing good to say about that decision; it advanced the US as a country not at all.

Rew and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  18. JediSmuggler

Jun 5, 1999
    You seem to ignore the fact that despite these horrific and tragic events, according to the latest FBI stats, you are more likely to be killed by knives (1,604), clubs or other blunt instruments (472), or even hand and feet (656) than a rifle of ANY type (374), much less the AR-15.

It is totally irrational on your part.

I see far more effort in trying to take away guns from people who have done nothing wrong, and far more energy labeling those who object to such wrong-headed bans as "child killers" or "domestic terrorists" than in fixing what I outlined.

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Your own data actually shows that you're more likely to be killed by firearms than by all the other listed methods combined...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Um, yeah. 11,004 murders by firearm. That total is more than any of the other listed methods. Without getting the calculator out or doing the math in my head, the total looks like more than all the listed methods combined.

Before you trot out the “but you said AR-15s”, I’ll just say...you know what, fine. Ban all firearms, since according to the FBI statistics, an American is more likely to be murdered by a firearm than by all other methods combined.

And there are only three ways to “do nothing wrong” with a gun:

—use it to hunt for food in an area where it is impossible to get food any other way

—target shoot for fun and sport

—keep it locked up with its ammo locked in another location

Are these three ways really what pro-gun advocates want? What they are fighting so hard for?

If so...I’m surprised that the passion is so high. If not...they are not fighting against people who are “taking guns from those who are doing nothing wrong.” They are fighting against people who want to “take guns” from people who are willing to do something wrong with those guns.

“Self defense” isn’t working anymore, because with “stand your ground” and the Trayvon Martin case, “self defense” has become “I saw a person of color walking through my neighborhood and I was afraid.” Again...not under the category of “doing nothing wrong” with a gun. “Self defense” should only ever interpreted as “my ex-spouse/ex-partner was standing in front of me threatening to/trying to kill me”—if so, I could certainly understand why an abused ex-spouse or partner might want a gun with one or a few rounds using “self defense” as a reason. (But still not an AR-15. Pumping several bullets per minute into a person goes way the hell beyond “self defense.”) And it still would not explain more than one gun per person or more guns than people in the US.

21. JediSmuggler

Jun 5, 1999
    You forgot personal protection.

From a 2013 CDC report:
    https://www.nap.edu/read/18319/chapter/3#15

There are anywhere from 100,000 to over 2.5 million defensive uses of firearms in a given year. Even the low estimate means that guns have protected several times more often than they are used in homicides in a given year. Interestingly enough, the Centers for Disease Control may have confirmed the higher-end numbers in surveys done in the late 1990s.

I have zero desire to be left helpless and unable to protect myself.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Aside from the situation I mentioned already with the abusive ex—protection from what? And how exactly are you (general you, not necessarily specifically you) going to use these guns for “personal protection”?

And how do people in other first world democracies protect themselves? I don’t hear a lot of complaints from people in democracies outside the US about people feeling endangered and unable to protect themselves. Why is the US unique in the alleged need for everyone to own an assault weapon for “personal protection”? And if there is some reason why the US is unique—it sounds like we are far too “if he/she looks at me wrong I’m going to shoot him/her” level of aggressive, and why should we not change that culture?

23. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    You really are such a scared a terrified nation aren't you.

Oh no a brown person. Bang.

Oh no kids getting an education. Bang.

From recent news.

Oh a person knocked or my door to ask for directions. Bang.

Pathetic.

I clearly have less freedom than you as I can't own any gun I want but I promise you I'm nowhere near as scared as you.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

24. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Also, regarding the personal protection thing, statistically the two biggest deterrents to home invasion are 1) leaving a TV on, and 2) the presence of a dog.

On the other hand, want to know what household item makes your home a more likely target for invasion? Firearms, as they can be pawned off for easy money.

V-2, Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  25. JediSmuggler

Jun 5, 1999
    You want to undo it? Convince the British in 1775 to not try forcibly confiscating guns from the American colonists.

Remember the midnight ride of Paul Revere? Lexington and Concord? Shot heard round the world?

That's what you'd have to do.

Keep in mind, many of those who are activists and supporters of the Second Amendment, who make that position a major factor - of not THE factor - that decides their vote, are aware of that history, too.

Look at the non-compliance rate in Massachusetts with the "bump stock" ban. No Australia-style buyback will work here. You'll have to try to forcibly confiscate the guns from people who believe such an action is a prelude to or means of perpetuating tyranny. The apparent turn by the Left against free speech is something else that is being noted.

That link is to the New York Times, by the way.

Your present course of action, and the present way that many advocates of gun control are talking about those who don't want to see new gun control laws enacted (either because they won't work, feel they wrongly punish people who did not commit crimes or acts of madness with them, or because they note there were other factors that should be addressed) is not changing minds. If anything, you've only made the NRA stronger.