main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That’s whataboutism.

If death by firearm is as little a problem as you are claiming, there should certainly be no issue in researching it, unless (general) you subscribe to conspiracy theories about “liberals taking over” or some such.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    We've heard this argument many times before. It's garbage.

I want to dedicate funding to it because I find it unacceptable. There's nothing you can say to change that.

3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    They know the facts aren't on their side so they always block funding to research it. If they weren't afraid of the truth, then just let the research go ahead and we'll see what the results are. But its more convenient for them to suppress it so they don't have to deal with little things like facts.

And no, I doubt it would be a waste of money. There's research into plenty of other causes of deaths (and those industries have more regulations and/or more regulations are added after accidents), but not into guns, because that would cut into profits.

yankee8255, TCF-1138 , Rew and 3 others like this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  5. Mostlymad

Mostlymad Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2017
    My point is that you want politicians to sign off on funding for research on something that causes roughly .6% of all the deaths in the US each year when all of the following cause way more deaths and probably don’t get the funding/research they need...

Diseases of heart (heart disease) Malignant neoplasms (cancer)
    Chronic lower respiratory diseases Cerebrovascular diseases (stroke)
    Alzheimer’s disease
    Diabetes mellitus (diabetes)
    Pneumonia
    Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis (kidney disease)
    Intentional self-harm (suicide)
    Septicemia
    Chronic liver disease and cirrhosis
    Essential hypertension and hypertensive renal disease (hypertension)
    Parkinson’s disease

I’d rather the funding go into what really matters and not into this false narrative of a gun violence epidemic.

6. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Again, how do you account for the disproportionate amount of gun violence in the U.S.? Is that not worth considering? The U.S. has 11 times as many firearm-related deaths per capita as Australia; compared to the U.K., it has 52 as many. Do you not consider that a "epidemic" for a supposed first world country?

If the U.S. really is more concerned with public health, a good start might be a public healthcare system.

7. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    In retrospect, it's no surprise at all that the Russians decided the easiest way to influence US politics would be to infiltrate one of the biggest spenders in our elections.

SateleNovelist11, Rew, V-2 and 2 others like this.
  8. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    I do have to ask. Exactly what research is there left to do and how is it supposed to help stop gun violence?

Mostlymad likes this.
  9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    We started two wars, destabilized an entire region, killed hundreds of thousands, and spent trillions of dollars over an attack that killed less than .00001% of Americans. I'm sure we can find the time and money to spend on gun violence.

Outsourced, TCF-1138 , tom and 12 others like this.
  10. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    You'd be better off spending money on researching political options to partially disarm and blanket-ban guns from public space when carried straight to-and-from a shooting range or straight to-and-from hunting.

SateleNovelist11 and V-2 like this.
  11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Hey, @J-Rod what's your opinion on this ?

12. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    A spy infiltrated the NRA. The last time a Russian spy infiltrated was under Obama and they made a show inspired by her.

I hated it then and I hate it now. :(

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    See Artoo's post below yours, it is an epidemic, and you simply saying (and desperately wishing) that it's a false narrative to say so does not make it so.

All of those causes of death need more research. So do guns. And they are an epidemic. If death from Parkinsons was eleven times higher in the US than Australia, or 52 times higher than the UK, would you say "well, it's not the leading cause of death, so no research is required".

14. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I must say, I’m impressed by your capacity to “But Obama...” everything o_O[face_coffee]

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Obama, who Rodderz thinks was a disaster of a president. Meaning that Rodderz thinks Trump is....

Rew and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  16. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    LOL As i'm amazed by people's capacity to be concerned about something that happened now after downplaying it 6 years earlier...

But my point is, it's a disaster. It's a disaster now and it was 6 years ago.

It's just curious that this time it won't be romanticized like it was last time and I am thinking she won't be handed back to Moscow and she won't make the covers of fashion magazines. Like Anna Chapman. (I think that was her name)

The difference between those guys and myself is that I'm outraged both times.

Were they?...

We will have to see how this is handled. I'm suspecting she'll meet justice, not be given modeling gigs. Obama wasn't that great of a steward of state secrets...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  17. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Not downplaying the past. Here’s where I draw a distinction, though: 6 years ago, the administration was run by someone deemed hostile to the interests of the NRA. The Russians infiltrated the organization with the goal of inflaming that hostility. Upon learning of these activities, the previous administration enacted punitive measures against the Russians. Now, there is credible evidence that the Russians influenced our entire electoral process. The NRA was one tool in that initiative. The current administration is not only turning a blind eye to that evidence, but is seeking to work at cross purposes to our intelligence agencies.

tl;dr version:

Then:
    -The Russians are messing with stuff
    -Hey, knock it off!

Now:
    -The Russians are messing with stuff.
    -Nuh uh! Moar, plz...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    WTF does Anna Chapman getting modeling work in Russia have to do with anything? It's like you leave out details to purposefully mislead people.

V-2 likes this.
  19. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    The full facts disagree with you. http://thehill.com/opinion/white-ho...er-on-russia-in-18-months-than-obama-in-eight

And this spy will be punished. Bank on it.

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    More likely Trump will grant her clemency and have deported, or so the same as Obama and do a prisoner exchange. I don't know if you've noticed, but your president has his tongue firmly up Russia's ********.

21. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Please. If he deported her he'd be labelled a xenophobe. She just wanted a better life, after all.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    “Full facts”? The Hill is a good source but that opinion piece was written by a “GOP strategist and writer for US Presidential debates for Fox News”. I’ve posted opinion pieces here myself plenty of times, nothing wrong with that, but I have made sure to present such pieces as opinion pieces, not “full facts.”

23. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Imposing sanctions and enforcing them are two different things. And this was just at the beginning of the year.

Face it: you're supporting a puppet while the NRA is becoming a mouthpiece for Russia and its agents. That this spy was found was a direct result of the supposed 'witch hunt'. I personally can't wait for Dana Rohrabacher to end up in prison for treason.

24. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Correct, but after hearing the other side of the story you will now have "full facts."

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    He's already a xenophobe, so.

V-2 likes this.