main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    And again!

Not a mass killing, injured in crossfire.

I suppose "responsible gun owners" would always ensure there is no chance of hitting someone in the crossfire when shooting at each other

Valairy Scot and V-2 like this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    FOX (yeah I know, but it's Shep doing the anchoring), and the AP is saying there maybe a second shooter and the entire scene is in lockdown.

4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Of course I'm just mindlessly speculating here but...Obama was elected in 2008, and people were like "oh no, he's going to take away our guns!". So they went out and buy lots of guns and ammunition...you know, while they still had the opportunity to do so. And now we're hearing about all these shootings.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    C'mon, waiting periods aren't that long...

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I think you're both wrong sorry.

At its simplest level, and you've both unintentionally proven this, is the lack of effective dialogue and understanding. FIDo is typical of many in the anti-gun movement in that he (ostensibly) doesn't get the whole gun movement. Not in a kind of Michelle Bachmann-doesn't-get-reality way, but a "I don't see the attraction in gun culture nor why it's such a big deal for gun owners."

Kimball, you've been the master in this thread of not talking to the anti-gun crowd and dismissing any concerns about the state of firearm culture in the US. As far as you're concerned, you've constructed a layered argument in favour of firearm laws whilst focussing on the most patently silly suggestions to illustrate why any reform would be fruitless and pointless.

At the macro-level, the debate is the same. Advocates of gun control are generally not proficient with firearms nor do get the culture surrounding guns. Therefore their proposed reforms/solutions are ineffectual and usually extreme - such as an assault weapon ban with handguns are generally the most commonly used firearms in mass shootings. Or limiting magazine size. Or wringing your hands into a knot over the cyclic rate of fire.

Gun advocates conversely see these reforms and laugh them off, taking the attitude that "well, I'm a responsible shooter, and I know people like me, so it's just a few bad apples. What society doesn't have them? And I'm not willing to give up my right to bear arms because of a few unhinged people who, if you look at the number of times a gun is fired, represent a statistical minority in terms of their mass shootings.

You're not going to save a single life limiting magazine size, or banning the AR15 (though real target shooters use bolt action target rifles), or stressing about RoF. Nor are you convincing anyone that you're anything but self-interested if you say there's no problem or if you focus on the least workable proposals put forward by the anti-gun crowd.

Simply put;
    1) There is a problem with firearms in the US.
    a) Specifically, with the culture i.e. where firearms are seen as a legitimate means of resolving a dispute;
    b) Specifically with ease of access to firearms for people who would use them for malignant purposes
    c) Arguably making firearms a right (which it's not) rather than privilege (which it is) has contributed significantly to 1a) and 1b)
    2) Reform is needed
    a) This does not include limiting magazine size or banning certain weapons based on appearance
    b) This has to accept the volume of firearms in the US market renders any grandfathering clause impossible
    c) Reform needs to look at placing viable limits on the ease of access to firearms and not get distracted blaming movies, video games, or how silly an assault rifle ban is.

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Five college shootings already in 2013 already.:(

8. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Ender_Sai
    I took FID's comment about moral imperative to mean that even gun nuts act to benefit the common good as they see it. I don't think he was wrong to say that, I'm sure the number of gun owners who buy with malign intentions is tiny compared to the number who buy with what they consider to be benign intentions.

I think there's an alarmingly high number of people who think in terms of goodies and baddies; hence the NRA's otherwise baffling statement about solving the problem of bad guys with guns with more good guys with guns. I think a lot of obsessives are prone to this monochrome narrative style of thinking. I realise I probably sound like a complete **** saying that. ;)

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I don't trust others with guns. The theatre shooting? Everyone has a gun and many people die in crossfire. Everyone has a gun and rush hour news reports will be very dramatic.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh I agree; I am not trying to insinuate that FIDo's wrong in any way. I think it's possibly healthier to be distant from firearms, truth be told.

11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Homicide, homicide, homicide, homicide, homicide, homicide, sports, weather.

Same as it ever was.

12. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Pretty much. Wayne LaPierre even gave gun owners permission to think of themselves as a good guy versus a bad guy*. So they think their purchase contributes to a greater good and any regulations against them are seen as an impediment to their innate 'goodness'. It sounds seriously whackadoodle, but I can guarantee you that's how a majority of these aggrieved gun owners see themselves--hell, they've even said so in televised interviews.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  13. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009

No, is not Wayne LaPierre. It goes beyond that. It is something the the american culture...a type of vain glory mixed with paranoia. It wasn't LaPierre that said "God made man but Wesson made them equal" ( think thats the quote).

14. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    True, but at the moment it's him and his organization that's driving that narrative.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    A convicted murderer, who spent time in a hospital for mental illness after he killed his mother, legally obtained a permit and purchased an arsenal of guns because of a loophole in the Minnesota legislation.​

Christian Oberender, now 32, killed his mother in the family's home with five shots from a shotgun in 1995, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune. He was 14-years-old at the time and was eventually committed to a hospital for being mentally ill and dangerous. Despite this, Oberender was able to obtain a gun permit last May and has since amassed an arsenal of 13 guns, including semi-automatic rifles, an AK-47, a Tommy gun, assorted shotguns and a .50-caliber Desert Eagle.​

Link

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Makes me glad I don't live in Minnesota.

17. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    "you got the taste in u boy... that evil got in and it aint never a comin' out"

18. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    sometimes i miss minnesota

19. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Samuel Colt, I believe.

Gun Inscription: "Be not afraid of any man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens call on me, and I will equalize."

Not strictly on-topic, but a tag-line from someone in another forum "Who brings a gun to a fist/knife/sword fight?"....... "The winner"!

20. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I think they've proven that you could get a knife off before a gunman fired. However, the knife would likely only wound thm. Also: if you're bringing a gun to a fight that's involving just knives or fists then you're a pretty weak person.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The term for that kind of eye-rolling wankery is henceforth "gunfap".

V-2 likes this.
  22. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008

Or..."The guy with explosive diarrhea".

[​IMG]

23. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Re the Houston community college shooting, I firmly believe that even in Texas on campus pistol dueling should be confined to the dormitory cafeterias.

LostOnHoth likes this.
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  25. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001