main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

gunshot flash FX help

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by AWB1989, Sep 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    I need help with the flash a gunshot makes and I tried doing stuff in Photoshop with a filmstrip but it looks very cheesy. I compressed it so the sound is bad because of the compression but the video isn't that bad. Once I upload it, I'll post a link here, and yes, it's very cheesy and yes, I need a new method I think.

Thanks,
    Aaron

Edit #1: I also need a method of adding blood to a video digitally, like with an editing program.

Edit #2:
    The link is here

If you want it, then get it quick. My free webhost wouldn't allow the file for hosting so I am hosting it on my comp for now. Well, if you know a better method, then please tell me because mine looks for cheesy.

2. Twisted_Hero

Twisted_Hero Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2002
    Haha, yeah it is pretty cheesy.

I have a couple of muzzle flash pictures that you can screen over your footage. I'll send them tomorow when i'm on my other computer.

what i do is use two or three different flash images screened over each frame (try other layer modes too, burn), that gives the flash a bit of depth and makes a group of flashes look different. then adjust the colours of the flashs to suit your needs. (if you have after effects, use it for the flashes)

here's a poor quality example of the Vigilante, coming soon to a web host near you. (hope the picture works, if not anyone know a good free host?)
    [image=http://www.geocities.com/wotthafuk/vigilante.jpg]
    EDIT: Click HERE if the picture doesn't work. (continue and refresh if it gives you trouble)

I'm going to run some experiments with real firearms as soon as i can get back down to the range.

if i don't send them to you within 12 hours of this post, send me a private message to remind me.

about digital blood: i'll give it some thought.

Jezza

3. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Couple things that might help...

One, the flash shouldn't last more than one or two frames. You have it fade out like a light being turned of. A flash is a flash. One frame should be enough.

You can get a cool flash image by just pulling an image from Artbeats Gunflash Library .

For the blood aspect, you've got a few options. One is similar to how the steam was done in BA (See the VFX Doco.) Instead of filming steam against black, film a burst of flour or baby powder, then use that as a key for a dark red color clip.

You can also check out a couple of the links on this Amateur Movie Portal for ideas of doing blood effects on set.

Have fun.

4. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    Thanks for the ideas everyone, and Twisted_Hero, just so you know, on your geocities site, I had to get rid of the "www." so that is what wasn't working about the link. Just telling you.

5. Ben-Kushaan_Exile

Ben-Kushaan_Exile Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2000
    Here is one I made with Blender.. pretty stuff..

Clicky

I used 6 animated particle emitters. Be patient if you choose to make the in a CG program. That example took me nearly 2-3 months to get perfect.

6. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    PadawanNick... I know you are a MSP (media studio pro) user and I find that you can get some good ones in MSP by using "inverse of multiple" paint tool and choosing a yellow color.

It's what I used in my MGS fanfilm (sig) and I think they work fine... others say they don't, but I don't like distorting pre made muzzle flashes... i have more control if I get to paint them myself.

Cya
    Mike

EDIT: I just watched your muzzle flash, and I can tell you a few things that can help right away--

1) go for a lighter shade of orange... you don't see that color much in real life.
    2) feather the edges.
    3) time it better with the neck moving... I saw the flash, THEN saw him fall, it should happen at the same time... as SOON as you hear the gun and see the flash he should be well dead.
    4) NEVER try to animate the gunshot appearing and disappearing... if you WISH you MAY animate it by using one medium size, one large size, and one medium size again... but NEVER more than 3 frames for a muzzle flash... I like 2 personally, it seems more realistic... it's a gun, not a flamethrower.

That's pretty much it... if you can, try to use the center almost a yellowish white (not a whiteish yellow) and have the outisides a nice yellow color... do a gradual fade between the center and outside.

Cya
    Mike

7. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    Thanks for the tips. Actually, I painted it on frame-by frame in photoshop in a filmstrip. I have an idea that might work. I'll try it tomorrow. I would have tried it today, but I had too much homework to get the time to try it out.

Thanks,
    Aaron

P.S.
    There was no animation, no after effects, all photoshop and frame-by-frame painting it on manually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.