main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Guten Tag

Discussion in 'German Speaking FanForce' started by Black_Scout, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    Your first "relativ" means "Verwandter/Verwandte" (Singular; grammatical gender : male/female, depending whether you mean mostly male relatives (Verwandter) or mostly female relatives (Verwandte) the plural form would be "Verwandte" for both grammatical genders).

Your second "relativ" means actually "relativ" and is used in the right sense here. ;)

The word "just" you used is perfect in this place. However, we also have the word "just" in German language, but with a slightly different meaning (although very basically the same) and much rarer used. I'm just :p thinking on how to explain this meaning of the German "just" but I cannot imagine any example right now ...
    Okay : One meaning I remember is in the sentence "Just in diesem Moment", which means "Right now this moment".

I never learned *any* English dialect. Considering how difficult German dialecs *can* be, this might be kind of a challenge ... :p

Grammar and the endings are the worst part imho in German language. Everything must be made up to fit the grammar case ... the English language has it sooo much easier ... ;)

You are right : However = jedoch. :)

2. AlrikFassbauer

Apr 2, 2003
    Hm, what I've experienced - from my point of view this is not right. We learned ONLY British English at school, here, where I live (and that is in Nordrhein-Westfalen), and American English came very, very late at school ! Almost verything I know of it came to me through my being in different internet forums !

3. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    When I was younger I was all for Amrican English and Amrica.
    Did a complete turn for British somewhere along the way and never regretted it. Even did some 'cleansing' in my vocab and pronunciation. [face_blush]
    What I'm heading for: Imperial English. The way the guys talk in ANH when Tarkin tells them the senat has been dispelled. [face_love]
    But it's a trail sometimes especially when its so much easier to type cookies than bisquits[face_blush]

4. MacCaffrey

MacCaffrey VIP star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 2000
    I tend to use British English. I think the reason for this are my English teacher, who all used the British.
    And I like to squezze an u every where. ;)

5. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Yeah, most teachers, if not all, try to teach British English first. I certainly adapted the pronounciation

but the boards corrupted some of my spelling. most notably, "color" because of the markup-code :p

6. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    First you get used to British English, then the teachers tell you a bit American English, but you still have to write British English, although American English isn't that wrong and in the end they say that you have to decide between one of them. [face_plain]

I could never decide between them, because I got so confused which is American and which is English and what is correct and so on... It's a little wonder that I never got a remark about using both languages. :p

7. MacCaffrey

Oct 25, 2000
    We had one teacher at school who used American English... I had him once as substitution for an ill teacher.

8. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
  9. AlrikFassbauer

Apr 2, 2003
    I'd say "whom" instead of "who" assuming that I'm correct in my assumption what you might mean. :p

10. Black_Scout

Black_Scout Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2003
    There is a German girl in my art class at school and she was saying how her friends in this country are very superficial, and the embarassing thing was, I didn't really know what superficial meant (I took an educated guess). It would have been slightly embarassing to ask the foreign English speaker of an English word [face_blush] . Strange

11. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Skiara I undesrtand you. Fortunataly I got several courses oin the differences at university and that helped a lot. I had no idea how big those differences were. Still I have to admit I forgot most of the vocab-meaning differences.
    And spelling, Zahn got me there. I'm an pro-Brit spelling but I can't bear the idea of 'grey noghri'. *waaahhhh* They got to be 'gray':oops:
    *slaps Zahn around with a big trout*

Often foreigners in Germany can be easliy spotted since they are about the only ones to use the times correctly. *lol* I wonder how many Germans can correctly use Futur II[face_laugh]

12. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    [face_laugh] You mean like "ich werde gegangen sein"? *is glad that she can't make a mistake, because if it is wrong she could point at Lannas post* :p

But you're right, sometimes I wonder about the same about using tenses, but not only in German, but in English and Spanish as well. Too many languages. :p

13. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Wow I am actually kind of offended by this sentence. That sounds dangerously close to the old English arrogance. TRUE English speakers eh? So I am not a true English speaker then? Well if you want to talk about English in it's ORIGINAL form it was German, so there you have it. It's not a shame if someone learns American English. It's spoken by far more people than those on your tiny little islands. I would NEVER refer to American English as the "right" way of speaking English at the expense of British English. I happen to respect both and would expect any speaker of English to do the same. Differences are differences, but when one acts as if their way is better, that's where problems arise.

I say let the foreign people choose which flavor of English they learn. I have German friends who hate British English and refer to American English as the "right" way. I actually defended British English as being quite cool. Perhaps I was wrong.

//walks out//

14. Black_Scout

Nov 10, 2003

Aww come back, I didn't mean it offensively or anything. Isn't everyone defensive of their language, and I only used 'true' for lack of a better word. I am a proud Brit, and I think its sad. And we are cool :cool: and proud (not arrogant)

15. AlrikFassbauer

Apr 2, 2003
    I wonder how many people learning German realize/realise that Timothy Zahn's second name actually means "tooth" ... ;) :D :p

16. Black_Scout

Nov 10, 2003
    My second name is Button, so I spend my days hanging on peoples' shirts

17. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    [face_laugh] Nice job. :p

18. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    I did not know that.

I have no idea what my second name means in any language if it means anything. :_|

19. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I took a look at the Spanish dictionary and if it comes from "gozar", it means something like "he/she/it ownes, enjoys". :)

20. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    Thanks Sabine. It's supposed to be Italian though. I never thought to check a dictionary. :oops:

21. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    If it is supposted to be Italian... what does a Italian dictionary tell you? :)

22. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    For some reason my computer does not want me to know. It keeps locking up as soon as I type my name in. [face_frustrated]

23. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    ownes? pwns!?? :D

24. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    My name means: "The black one":cool:
    At least my name is cool:p

I always love looking up meanings of names.
    One point against the PT German does not improve it much: Boss Nass = Boss Wet:confused:
    Darth Maul = Darth Muzzle o_O
    Luckyly I don't remember any more names...
    Timmy the Tooth is better with his names: Thrawn [face_love] I actually had to look that up in a scottish one.
    Jade, I always took it to come from 'to jade', much more fitting.
    Talon ;)

*gets severly sidetracked*
    um, what was the topic around here[face_blush]

25. MacCaffrey

Oct 25, 2000
    Any topic you like. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.