main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Guy kills two police officers and is only done for 'manslaughter'?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TK_Four_Two_One, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    In MY opinion he should be put to death. It was murder. A life for a life in my opinion and this is very clear cut that I think he should be put to death. And dont start with all that 'who gives you the right to act as god?' etc- i dont believe in god so it doesnt wash. You pay for yer crimes in THIS life. Too many crimes being treated lenient is not a deterent to anyone. Discuss (if ya want to, like!)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/4076428.stm

2. Baza

Baza Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2005
    I wouldn't kill him because in my opinion that only makes us as bad as him. But I would not let him get away with manslaughter. That is insanely lenient. I would put him in in prison for life.
    And I think life should mean life.

3. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    Killing a poice officer is teh only thing in this counrty that can be justified with execution, am I right.

A teacher told me that. might be wrong

4. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    If a teacher told you it must be true :p

5. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    [face_laugh]

I do suppose he has said a lot of things in his time. Im just lazy, I hear something and Ill beleive it :D

6. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Good idea.

I've been told drinking vast quantities of bleach does wonders for you if you want to lose a LOT of weight :D

Don't try this at home children :p

7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Its a tricky situation
    He didn't do it on purpose, so its not really murder.

It was his neglet and follishness in driving while drunk that caused those officer's deaths
    I think he should get a long sentence to teach him a lesson, but thats all.

8. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Sorry.

I'm of the personal opinion that anyone who drives under the influence and kills someone should be charged with murder.

I know murder can only really be used if the offence is pre-meditated but if you drink/take drugs and then drive you know in advance that you become a threat to others as far as I am concerned although it may not be pre-meditated you are already aware what the consequences of your actions could be.

Thats tantamount to murder in my book and should be treat as such.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I doubt most drunk people know what they're doing
    If they did most of them wouldn't do it

He was obviously too drunk to stop, so he hit a Police car.

10. Dickie

Dickie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2005
    All drug/drink offences should face a firing squad IMO. End of story.

11. nathan_sith

nathan_sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 23, 2004
    he's been aquitted of one murder already so how could he possibly of been found guilty for the other anyway when it's the same incident?!? the legal system here sucks- let the ****** fry, erasing these people from society is the only way forward, that goes for theives, rapists, paedophiles, muggers, thugs, chavs, drunk drivers- the lot- they don't deserve the freedom they are born with. at the very least prison should be made a lot more unpleasant, no more tv's and ps2's and pool tables- stern education programmes and manual labour-all day every day.

12. Dickie

Dickie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2005
    Hell yeah! I'm with you mate!

*runs off to get jackboots*

13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    =D=

But this guy in not a general hooligan who goes around deliberately trying to hurt people for fun. He obviously got very drunk & had no-one with him to tell him it was not a good idea to drive.
    Being the way he was he thought he was king of the world and he could handle a car, so he did, and failed.

I'm sure if he was released he would seriously consider not getting in that situation again.

I'm not saying he should be set free, just that if he was he would not likely cause more trouble like a general murderer, rapist etc

14. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I agree that prison should be harsher. But firing squad is a touch too extreme

Richtea: he may not have known what he was doing but he would have been aware of what could have happened before he started drinking.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    True
    I've never been that drunk, so I wouldn't know what he was thinking

16. Stormtrooper_fan

Stormtrooper_fan Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2003
    He was a drunk driver if it's the one I'm thinking about... for that alone he should be tortured and then shot. Drink drivers are murdering scum!

17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    These people need to make sure they go with enough people to stop them going home alone.
    Or have a single sober person to drive them back.

They need more self control

18. nathan_sith

nathan_sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 23, 2004
    he went out-got drunk (can't have a problem with that) then drove, which drunk or not-he knew was both stupid and dangerous. not to mention illegal

19. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    But this guy in not a general hooligan who goes around deliberately trying to hurt people for fun.

Have you SEEN his previous record? Burglary, Aggravatd Assault, Assault against a police officer. Yes, he DOES do this for fun.

The video of the incident was shown on TV. He SWERVED into the car when there was no other traffic around.

And now he gets off on a legal technicality. The new sentencing is on Monday. I hope he gets the highest [face_plain]

20. TheDarthVader

TheDarthVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    TK_Four_Two_One, I concur with your hard line view on Justice. This man acted with gross negligence, and showed no concern for the lives of others. He should be held fully accountable for the consequences of his actions.
    The problem with current laws is that they seek to punish individuals rather lightly, purveying the majority of the blame on circumstances and society.

Is is not Draconian laws that make those in charge of serving Justice as bad as offenders, it is this liberal law, that makes all those involved as bad as the offenders. By not severely punishing these people, who carry out dire offences, we do nothing but condone and encourage this behavior, this makes everyone as bad as the offenders, as it just leads to escalating crime and more victims and breakdown in society.

21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The new sentencing is on Monday. I hope he gets the highest
    Well, I would think he'd get at least 10 years or higher

22. Raj_Vader

Raj_Vader Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    The legal system with regards to homicide is a bit messed up at the mo'. Both murder and manslaughter are crimes of homicide, the main difference being that murder carries a mandatory life sentence. Both have maximum sentences of life, so in theory it is possible to find someone guilty of manslaughter and still sentence them to life. Its all about what was in the mind of the accused at the time he committed the act.

It's been suggested by the Law Commission that murder and manslaughter be replaced with an offence of homicide with differeing degrees, like they have in the US. If this happens, it would allow a more gradual transition from cold-blooded murder (murder) to accidental death (manslaughter).

It really sucks that this guy now has the right to apply for parole, and may be released sooner than the 15 years. Crimes against the emergency services should always carry a more severe sentence, if for no other reason than to acknowledge their invaluable contribution to society. I would have thought, considering his drunk state and his previous offences, that even his original manslaughter conviction should have been for life.

It is strange how 'life' doesn't mean life - there is actually a good reason for this, but I've not revised it yet... [face_blush]

Orn: There are still a few crimes that still carry the death penalty in this country, one of the best being committing arson in one of Her Majesty's merchant shipyards :p, but because of Article 3 of the Eurpoean Convention on Human Rights, the prohibition of torture, these sentences are automatically reduced to life imprisonment.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Which isn't actually life anyway

24. Raj_Vader

Raj_Vader Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    ....now I could've been sneaky and edited my post to include that........ :p

25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    You could, but its nicer to let me say it instead :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.