main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Guy kills two police officers and is only done for 'manslaughter'?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TK_Four_Two_One, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raj_Vader

Raj_Vader Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    like you did.... [face_whistling] :D

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Er....... [face_plain] [face_worried]

runs

3. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    Good opinions guys from both sides of the coin.

The video of the incident was shown on TV. He SWERVED into the car when there was no other traffic around.

Exactly! Drunk driving AND swerving into the car knowing that he could cause SERIOUS damage. Shoot him and save the tax payers some money (and take one lunatic of the streets).

4. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    I want to know the good reason that life doesn't actually mean life?
    It really should, really, really should.

The only other thing I want to say is:
    LMAO @ Richtea!

5. Baza

Baza Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2005
    The problem is that it costs a lot of money to keep someone in jail for life. You have to feed them and it costs the taxpayer money.

6. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    From some one who HAS been that drunk that I was found by the police sleeping in the gutter using the kerb as a pillow, let me tell you when you are that drunk you cant think about getting a car let alone do it, if he was able to drive, he had the ability to think to some degree. He knew exactly what he was doing when he went for those men, Its just a pity they died and he didnt. I dont want him in prison living off of my wage deductions and complaining his TV isnt big enough. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

7. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
  8. Dickie

Dickie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2005
    Or even better - conscript them into the forces, don't waste money on training them, and pack em on a plane to Iraq or something. Let someone else kill them, they can take fire for people willing to risk their lives so that these morons can do these things.

9. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    Hmmm... they would have to be in a unit of 'nutters' as it would be unfair to put other dedicated soldiers etc lives at risk with these freaks beside them in battle or even near them.

10. Dickie

Dickie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2005
    Thats what I meant, but send them in to draw fire. Then unlease the profesional troops to just wreak havoc and show the enemy why Britain is a country to reckon with...

11. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Firing squad: Effective, but it's a waste of bullets.
    Hanging: All you need is a rope, two planks of wood and you've got yourself an execution device that can be used again and again.
    God, I should go into telemarketing.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Hanging is so primitive & old fashioned
    I like the American idea

Electrocute the buggers [face_devil]

Only if they deserve it of course :p

13. Raj_Vader

Raj_Vader Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    you can't beat the good ol' hung, drawn and quartered! Just to make sure they're really dead....!

EDIT: And think of all the cheap meat....... :D

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I prefer the old fashioned method

[image=http://kenten.com/images/ep3trailer/12.jpg]

15. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Which carries the largest sentence? Manslaughter or death by dangerous driving? (If death by dangerous driving is considered manslaughter then I apologise for being an idiot!). Whichever is higher he should get.

I'll agree with Richie that he shouldn't be charged with murder because it wasn't a pre-meditated crime, but at the same time he knew he was drunk and unable to drive properly yet he chose to do so anyway and in doing that and ignoring calls to pull over (which again was his own free choice) he did cause the deaths of two innocent men and should be sentenced accordingly no matter what the actual charge they use.

I'm personally against the death penalty. To kill in self defence when you're acting in the moment and on instinct is one thing, but to lock someone up in jail, sentence them to death and then kill them is little more than pre-meditated murder. An eye for an eye is fair enough, but what good does it accomplish? The two innocent men would still be dead.

I agree completely that our penal system is too easy on prisoners and needs to be toughened up. Prison should be a place that you never want to go back to after you get released. I think Liam Neeson sums it up perfectly in Batman Begins "criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding" (I got this quote from the 10 minute preview)

16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
  17. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    An eye for an eye is fair enough, but what good does it accomplish?

Well it'll save us some tax payers money and stop the freak ever getting on the streets again. He did swerve towards those police men and knew what he was doing- no excuses. Imo if you invade someones human rights or take them away you then lose yer own. Yes, the two police men will still be dead- but why should he still be alive?

18. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Fair enough it saves some tax money, but that is more a general flaw of the prison system not just this one case: prisoners don't need TV never mind Sky TV! It's something that needs to be fixed. Prison should be total punishment, not have better facilities than many peoples homes! And I agree with those who said that life should mean life! If you want to sentence someone to 15 or 20 years then say so, but if you sentence them to life then they should go away for life.

I just don't feel it's ok to justify cold blooded murder. Yes he knew what he was doing, and there several opportunities were he could have made different choices and no one would have died. But killing him won't change what he did, it won't help the families of those who died, it won't make the pain go away for them. At the end of the day it's not worth lowering yourself to his level.

I also feel that sometimes the worst punishment you can give someone is to make them live with their crime and the guilt and regret. But fair enough that really does depend on the person who committed the crime and if they regret what they did.

Plus what gives us the right to end his life? Yes he killed them, but look at it this way: he killed them, so we judge him and kill him, who judges us? And would they see it as justice or find us guilty of murdering him? At least alive he can still work towards becoming a decent member or society, dead there's no way he can even try to redeem himself.

But this is only my opinion, since you support the death penalty it's right that you have a different view point, and in today's world I can really understand where you're coming from.

19. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    Yes he killed them, but look at it this way: he killed them, so we judge him and kill him, who judges us? And would they see it as justice or find us guilty of murdering him? At least alive he can still work towards becoming a decent member or society, dead there's no way he can even try to redeem himself.

Ya see, yer coming around to that god nonsense that I dont believe in. Why should he get a chance to redeem himself- the dead police officers wont. People should be responsible for their actions when they are intentional!

Though I would agree that prison should be a place of sheer hell and the thought of being in there should scare the bejaysus out of anyone so much that they would prefer to die. And that it was cheaply run. I could live with this as an offer instead of death. But sadly do gooders and human rights nonsense will never let this happen! :(

20. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I'm not religious so I'm not coming around to any god stuff, I just like to believe that everyone has some good in them and is therefore redeemable (like Vader if you use a Star Wars link). The judges comment was actually taken from an episode of Highlander when Duncan killed an old friend who had, in his eyes, gone bad, nothing religious at all.

I agree people should be responsible for their actions (heck I even subscribe to the Vergere school of thought in "Traitor" when she says "out of control" is just a way of saying I don't want to admit I'm the type of person who would do that). I just don't see death as the answer.

I think we agree that prisons are a key issue - they're too nice! Sort that out and we may go some way to making criminals afraid to commit crimes again. It actually comes back to that Batman comment again about criminals thriving on the indulgence of society, and as long as our penal system remains the way it is, with laws seeming to go out of their way to protect the criminal, this will continue to be the case :(

21. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    Well I'll always live with the thought of an eye for an eye. Strange that my views actually COME from that novel the bible (I'm such a blasphemer [face_laugh] - too who believes!)!

22. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah I think it just boils down to two views on the death penalty. We agree his sentence seems to light, that current punishments are too lenient, and that the prison system needs to be reworked to form a real deterrant.

Like I said before, I can totally see where you're coming from and I do respect your views.

23. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    yeah, its good to debate with differing opinions as long as each other respects them. if we all had the same opinions it would be a boring world. and like you said, we both agree (and its seems everyone else too) that the bloke got off too lightly. nothing scares people from committing crime now.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Too true
    The law must stop being afraid of clamping down hard on people who break the law

25. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I know a good punishment: an EasyJet cruise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.