main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Guys] Explain this to me

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Katya Jade, Oct 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    So I'm online playing Ghost Recon Summit Strike last night and during the game some guy comes in and plays for all of 2 minutes before being shot. The mission ends and he's no longer in our session at all. Then I see a little "message" icon pop up on my screen. I head over to my menu and see that he's sent me a friend request. WTH?

Another time, a friend and I jumped in the middle of a Halo2 game and we literally played for about 3 minutes. During the time we were there I had 3 guys ask me, "Are you really a chick?" I replied, "If I'm not, then I've got the wrong parts." Game ends, my friend and I return to our lobby and I see, again, the message icon. I've got THREE friend requests!

Seriously, are guys this desperate to meet up with chicks that they'll add any one they encounter to their friends list or does this happen to everyone and I'm just reading more into this than I need to.

Explain.

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    No, guys are really that desperate.

There are some people who as a matter of course just add everyone they meet for even a second to their friend lists and such, but most people don't.

But guys are that desperate. If you're a woman, even if our only connection with you is that we've played some game with you over the internet for a few seconds, we'll throw you onto the friend list or equivalent in the hopes of . . . well, nothing. It's just the way it is.

3. Tysplo13

Tysplo13 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2003
    Yeah, it happens in all kinds of games, it's pretty crazy. Seriously, those kinds of people must have no life and sit at their computers 12 hours a day.[face_plain]

4. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    OMG you're a girl!?!?

Can I add you to my WUL?????

5. Psycho_Sith

Psycho_Sith Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    Katya - I think it boils down to a few things IMO. One, they could be desperate to meet girls, sure. Two, it could be a draw of female gamers that intrigues some guys. Or it could just be some ppl don't have a lot of friends on their lists and want more.

Personally, I have no clue - just musing I guess. I only have one female on my friends list and it's not because she's female at all - she's damn good and online a lot.

I think it's pretty weak that guys do that crap to female gamers based on their gender alone if that's their motivation.

Most Gamers have a stereotype of being nerdy homebodies for reasons I guess.

*edit* I dunno, maybe don't let on you're female? Not that it should be hidden but it could save headache and immaturity coming the way of a girl gamer? I don't even tell anyone what band I'm in for that same reason.

6. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Ditto

I goto the Mall, Movie Theaters, and Nightclubs to find women. Those guys use XBL and Internet Chat rooms....

7. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Yeah Katya unfortunatly it is true. Thats one reason why some people pretend to be a female in MMORPGs for the free stuff. From what I hear it works pretty well. . .

8. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I don't go to the mall anymore. Not since they closed the bookstore in there.

9. Psycho_Sith

Aug 3, 2003
    sad, disturbing & sick.

10. SithLordPat

SithLordPat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2005
    Thank god I can get real girls, but note to self, girls on SWG aren't really "girls".

11. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Kate, I undetstand completely. I don't understand the obession either. I'd like to think at work guys seek me out to ask me my advice on games not cause I'm a girl but cause they value my opinion. But sometimes I'm afraid its just cause I have boobs.

~PK~

12. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I mean seriously, this is a common trend going on in the gaming industry today. Us guys (Not referring to me, but since I'm a guy I'm including me in the masses) tend to "roll out the red carpet" for females in gaming for no real reason. I understand that female gamers is a rare thing and something that you won't just see everyday. Its just that whenever a Female gamer is thrown into the equation, us men tends to bow down for them, suck up to them, tell them what they want to hear, and like I said.....just basically give them the red carpet treatment just for no reason.

The sad thing is....some of these female gamers actually like that. They love having the attention on them. They love having guys suck up to them and tell them what they want to hear. In the end, they love playing the role of The Tease so they can look at us and say "Men are dogs"

But on the other hand you have those female gamers that hates all this special treatment and attention. They want to be treated just like any other male gamer. They don't want you to suck up to them or anything, they just want their skills to do the talking, not their gender/looks.

But yeah, thats what it pretty much boils down to. Females in gaming is rare. So when a guy sees this, they take every opportunity they can so that they can become a friend or associate with this female gamer because he knows that people like her are rare.

Heh, let me say it....I'm not particuarly into Female gamers from the start (In terms of hooking up). So you'll never see me acting like those guys online who acts like the world should stop just because a female gamer is in the presence. No offense female gamers....

13. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I'm not a gamer anymore, but I've experienced frustration, in fencing especially, when it came to gender relations. Some of the guys would go easy on the girls, and some of the girls came to expect it. And then they'd complain when I didn't. How sick I got of having to explain that I should not be expected to avoid hitting a large part of the target area because it happened to include their breasts. They chose to don the uniform and the weapon. They chose to be there. They chose to participate. I didn't try to hit them in the boobs, but I fence to win, and where there's an opening I'll take it.

The other thing that annoyed everybody, not just the women, was when I'd arbitrarily decide to fence left-handed every once in a while. :D

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    What's "sad, disturbing & sick"? The fact that some people *gasp* role-play in role-playing games, or the fact that some players will give female characters stuff just because they're female?

15. Cynax

Cynax Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2005
    A good example of all this is the entertainer professions in SWG, if your a man youve got to put alot more effort in to get people to tip you, females dont need to put in much effort, heck even im guilty of it, i got a female dancer purely cause of the better tips :cool:

16. Fox4

Fox4 Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    Pervs or nerds, take your pick, i'm going to go with pervs for chat rooms, and nerds for XBL.;)

17. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    It varies by case I think. Some dudes are desperate.

But the more interesting side of it is that it's fun to game with girls. Some of the best gaming times that I've had are playing with Jade back in the day (this is like 4-5 years ago, jesus). It just added another dimension to the game that isn't normally there for whatever reason when just guys are playing.

AA was desperate and it worked out for him, sort of.

//44

18. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    ^ Don't I know you from somewhere?

19. Psycho_Sith

Aug 3, 2003
    Oh...I dunno. Probably the part about people pretending to be female.
    Not your "*gasp* role playing"...

20. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    [face_laugh]

EDIT: at jp-30

21. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Ummm isn't pretending and role-playing kinda the same thing?

22. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I don't see anything wrong with playing an rpg with a female character. About a year ago I used to play with a female char. on Galaxies all the time. And yes there are some weird guys out there. I grouped with this one guy a couple times. Then he started having his char propose to me. Like every five mins. I never told him I was a guy, (he never asked). I wonder what he would have said... [face_thinking]

23. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    When I have a choice in a 3rd-person game, all other things being equal, I'll almost always choose a female, because I'd rather look at a female character for hours and hours than a male. Simple as that.

Much the same reason my icon is Leia.

24. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    If I have the choice in any game I'd rather be a female character if for no other reason than female characters are cooler IMO. Though also like Masta who once said a year or two ago... "I'd rather stare at the pixalated ass of a female character over hours on end than that of a male pixalated ass."

25. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Interesting. Since I think I've played on Xbox Live with one other female in my gaming time I don't know how other females expect to be treated. I'm not there to be given special treatment and expect to get as good as I give. I do remember when I first started playing Ghost Recon on Live, I would get treated to the lovely "corpse humping" if I died. At first I was mortified - thinking it wasn't very nice or fair to do that to me. Then I just did it to the guys I killed and they stopped when they realized I didn't whine about it. Maybe it's different in games like Halo, Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six where females don't play that often. I would assume that more females play RPG's and such versus first person shooters.

I don't necessarily think the guys who add me are sad horndogs (although many are), but it's funny that females are just that much of a rareity that they'd add me just to say they had a chick on their friends list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.