main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Guys] Explain this to me

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Katya Jade, Oct 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    41% of the PC gamer population consists of women. Guys shouldn't pounce on every single one they come across. There are enough out there.

Moreover, the US is made up of more females than males.

2. vader1025

vader1025 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2004
    Actually, with SWG, a majority ARE girls.
    I met a ton of them at C3 and if you look at the face threads for SWG, most people seem to be pretty honest.
    Now, thinking that just because they are women and play a video game gives you the hope to "hook up" with them, is completely lame.

3. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    vader, I guess I'm not that surprised that SWG has a lot of female gamers. I play Xbox live pretty exclusively and the games I play (Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Halo) aren't games in which females are typically interested (I assume). I'd be curious as to the stats breakdown on that 41% and which games they play. I would think that the majority of them play role playing games versus first person shooters.

4. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I differ. I'm a gamer and I like Star Wars. However (no offense female gamers) I'm not really all interested in the "female gamer" fad. I rather have a chick who isn't all into Star Wars or who isn't into gaming. In other words....I don't want to have a geek as a GF you know? To be more specific I'm more interested in the Athletic women, the ones that does sports because I run track in College and its always good to find a girl who plays sports. Also a thing I don't like about girl gamers is that they aren't all into partying and stuff. I mean they are geeks in every sense of the word and I want a girl that can goto clubs with me, goto keg parties, and go on endless shopping sprees with me.

So whenever I encounter a female gamer, thats why I don't get all "OMG! A Chick that plays games!!!!!"

Thats just me ranting though....

5. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I'm not a gamer at all anymore, and I find gamers and geeks very appealing. Nothing against athletes, but I tend to have a better time among the geeks than the athletes, generally speaking. Which is not to say that there's no overlap. :D

Clubs, keg parties . . . I crave not these things.

6. Darth_FattyAss

Darth_FattyAss Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2002
    Since the internet explosion of the late 90's I've always had this idea in my head that if you meet a girl on-line their not really a "girl" but a twisted pervert in HIS mother's basement. I realize now that I've extended that preconception to gaming. I played SWG and always assumed if someone was playing a female character than most likely it was a male "Role-Playing". Recently, I've meet more and more women who are into gaming which is cool. Although I do agree that most who paly on -line are playing RPG as opposed to FPS.

Side note: "Corpse-Humping" is always funny. Whenever, I play Halo on XBL I giggle when someone does it. I think it's funnier when the humpee gets pissed. Granted most of the humpers are 13 year old punks, but admittedly I've been known to perform the "Lipton" from time to time and I'm going on 30

7. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Oh Gods, that always annoys the hell out of me.

Mastadge's story about stabbing his sparring partners in the boobs all the time was pretty funny, but the thought of Katya attempting to fend off waves of horndogs trying to do the 'Horizontal Morris Dance' with her lifeless virtual corpse seals the deal.

8. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Some girls play FPS games, but I believe most play MMORPGs, like EQ and WoW.

9. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Hey wait... there are girls who post here?
    HAWT LETS CYB3R!!!

Then again I'm not very good at games, unless they are flight sims, so I never have a problem with letting anyone, male or female, win. They just do.

Of course most of the girls I know just want to draw yaoi of Leon and Cloud or play DDR.

10. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I agree with Katya in that a female gamer in a FPS setting is still pretty rare, they are more common in RPGs, sims, action/adventure, etc. and where did you get those stats about 41%? Is that online games or is that SP games? Cause there will be a difference.

11. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I found the stats when I did a research project on the economics behind the gaming industry.

There were a lot of sites that referred to marketing studies that found 41% of the PC gaming market was made up of women. You can find source material on Google definitely. Gamespot.com also has articles on it, IIRC, and possibly some GameInformer magazine.

Also, the average gamer is about 28 years old. There are more older gamers than gamers under 18, which makes all those "video games inspire violence in children" stuff total BS.

The ESA is also planning on suing...Illinois(?) if they enact a ban on mature video games. Actually, come to think of it, I think Illinois already has one. Maybe it's Washington I'm thinking of...

Anyway, all that info is out there, done by marketing studies, etc.

And Mario 64 was the best-selling video game of all time.

12. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    EV, I was looking around and saw the stats this moring that said the number was around 43% of gamers are female. But, of course, they don't break it down into which types of games they play.

13. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Incidentally, the only person at my school who could outfence me was a girl. The one with the whip in this picture:

[image=http://img418.imageshack.us/img418/9623/141819533l1xh.jpg]

She was tiny, but she was fast and she wasn't intimidated by the fact that I was twice her size, which was a refreshing change given that almost every other girl I've fenced against would always back up whenever I pressed forward, where if she'd held her ground I'd've impaled myself on her weapon. But this girl was vicious. I broke a blade once fencing her. She's the only fencer ever drew my blood, too. She was also insane, in a good way, and a whole lot of fun. And she was not an incompetent gamer, either.

14. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Lol, its okay. However I just like to beat the stereotypes. I'm a gamer who writes for a gaming website, attended E3, attends LAN Parties, and talks about gaming stuff. But yet on the other hand I'm a jock, who runs 20-60 miles a week, goes to Nike camps, and does jock things like endless partying. Also I'm a metrosexual, who is highly into fashion....shopping, who has a touch in his feminine side, and talks about metro things. I mean, for me it all runs together in a weird way. How many hardcore gamers do you know that are also 100% jocks? How many metrosexuals do you know that are 100% jocks?

So I don't like to classify myself as this or that but just a individual who has many traits. I have gamer friends, metro friends, and jock friends. However I act more like a joke/metro than a gamer. I mean you would see me on the street and would never believe that I play videogames or likes Star Wars, only if I told you then you would know.

Female gamers are cool. I mean have any of you ever heard of the PMS Clan? ControllerFreaks.com has 2 members from that All-Female gaming clan working on our site and we also have an addition female who is a artist for us (But isn't part of PMS). Female gamers do play a lot of RPG/Online games of that nature. However I have yet to find a female who is highly into sports games....mainly football. I know many women who play NBA, NASCAR, MLB, and NHL games. However it is rare to find a female who is addicted to Madden or any other football game.

15. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Most female gamers that i know play stuff like "The Sims". Also, i have to say i'm always flabbergasted by the number of lady-gamers who dig KOTOR.

I have this one gal who comes to see me in my office at least once a week to talk about KOTOR and KOTOR II.

I think "Kingdom Hearts" did a good job of attracting the XX chromosome set, too. A girl i used to date who was COMPLETELY not into games actually went out and bought KH and forced me to play it with her.

My current girlfriend (who hates gaming) can't put down Dr. Mario.

I do know one woman who plays WoW, but that's about it.

And i can confirm that it's not just geek-girls who are getting into gaming. Just yesterday, i was at EB and two incredibly cute girls who definitely didn't fit the profile were stalking around the store checking out games. No way were they geeks.

16. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    One of my best friends is totally in LOVE with Dr. Mario. I gave her my old GBA after I got an SP. The only games she plays on it are Dr. Mario and Mario Bros. 3. But she plays them constantly.

17. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Ha, that's almost exactly what happened to me. When i got a DS, i gave this girl my old SP with Dr. Mario. Before that we were living together, and since the summer before last she picks the thing up at LEAST once a night and gives it a whirl. EVERY SINGLE NIGHT!

Even i don't have the gaming stamina to play the same game THAT much..

18. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I think that just demonstrates the addictivness of Dr. Mario. :p

19. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Judging by her hair length in that picture, Mastage, you should've gained an advantage by treading on it and getting her while she was distracted.

Perhaps not the fairest tactic, but hey - this is fencing, not ballet.

:p

20. Dark_Lady_Revan

Dark_Lady_Revan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2005
    Your current gf? You move on fast. o_O

21. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I grimace in sympathy for the man who treads on her hair. :(

22. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Without having read this entire thread, I assume that you are referring to the x-box. If so, you do realize that the vast majority of console players seem to be little kids/teenagers that have raging hormones, right? Having a bunch of Halo gamers hit on a female player is no big suprise to me. Is it pathetic? Oh yeah, but not suprising. :p

23. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Yeah, it happens in all kinds of real life, [...]

^Fixed it for you.

24. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    I've seen the phenomenon before. Happens to me a lot, too. And explaining you're a lesbian does NOTHING to deter 'em; they seem to take it as a challenge.

I do my best to find it hilarious, because if I took it seriously I'd be in serious danger of becoming a misandronist...

25. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    From working in a game store and dealing with games on a daily bases, I've noticed its rare for a girl to rent a game. I would say 2 out of 10 games I rent are to girls. And normally they're renting the Sims or Spyro or something weird and cutesy.

Granted nothing wrong with Sims or Spyro well at least Sims in my book. Never got into Spyro much ;)

~PK~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.