main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Guys is $300 too much to pay for sunglasses?

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    No. If you want them and can afford it, why not?

Ender Sai likes this.
  2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Not at all. All depends on what you value - if you like them and have the cash, go for it.

4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    ASTM-standard impact-resistant lenses with proper UV protection is what's important. Everything else can be about personal taste:

[​IMG]

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It doesn't matter if they make you look like a right ****?

6. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I paid $300, but mine are prescription.

7. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Terrible analogy. Watches and Sunglasses and not even in the same league.

With a watch you are talking about a precision built instrument, sometimes utilizing precious metals, with a precise movement that even houses semi precious stones as part of the movement. The cost is justified due to the intricacy of the manufacturing process and materials.

$300. Sunglasses cost about $10. to manufacture, and you are literally paying for a brand name. Not precision. Not materials, and certainly not workmanship.

Speaking of which, and brand names. Look into Luxotica, and you will realize the only reason Sunglasses cost what they do is because they own, license, and manufacture the majority of brands out there. They set the pricing high across the board, but it appears to be fair value because it's across many brands.

So your Prada glasses are made in the same factory as Ray ban, and Burberry, and Chanel etc etc etc. they all cost $10 to make, and they all are sold for an outrageous mark up. In fact they are even all designed by Luxotica. They only thing the brand contributes is a few baubles to stick on them so they have some level of brand recognition, i.e. burberry plaid.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Even if you can afford it and even if you know you'll take care of it, there can still be good reasons to use that money on something else. Something where the markup might actually reflect the differences in workmanship. I am firmly against paying for a label.

As for your second post -- if it's worth that much to you then go for it, isn't that basically what he's asking?

If he's got enough doubts about it being worth 300 that he's asking us of all people, that tells me that he doesn't think it's worth it. And I'm not about to tell him that it is.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

9. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Well, you could buy 4 pairs of the $75 glasses instead.

10. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    There's nothing wrong with being poor; only in dressing poorly.

11. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Try finding cheaper ones that look similar. If you can't, buy them.

12. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Prescription sunglasses are worth the price if you have bad eyesight and don't want clip ons.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Glasses are easily lost, I've never bought expensive pairs but I still lose them from time to time.
    A watch is attached to you all day, you aren't likely to leave it somewhere if you don't take it off until you get home.

The risks to your money are greater if something is easy to lose or damage. This is one of the big problems with paying hundreds for a smartphone. I see so many people putting up with a broken phone because they don't want to spend the money repairing it since they just got it for a lot (or write it off since that is a waste of their money too).

Unless you fall over & land on your watch it isn't likely to break. Plus as stated you pay for the craftsmanship.

14. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Yeah sunglasses are basically a massive rip off. Luxottica rig the whole market.

DarthTunick likes this.
  15. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Mine cost $620. They have perscription lenses, polarised and the frames are titanium. I've also had them for 13 years.

Although, I did only pay $240 for them thanks to my health fund's coverage.

16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Personally, I wouldn't pay that much but that's because I have a habit of leaving sunglasses on the seat of my car and then I sit on them, so I stick to cheap ones.

But if you can afford it and you think they are worth it, then go for it.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I've never bought sunglasses anywhere other than a gas station, for like ten bucks. It's an area where brands are pretty insignificant and the chances of damage or loss are fairly high. Aviators are aviators, they pretty much look the same whether they're from a gas station or anywhere else. But if they're from a gas station you won't care if you lose them or scratch them.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  18. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Dear god the company is a monopoly. A major major monopoly.

19. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Great insight, Beez, thank you for sharing your analysis of epic's post so we laymen could understand.

Kyle Katarn likes this.
  20. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    What is funny about the whole situation is instead of running to the govt and getting the company fined, you have the competitors that just get to undercut them. I mean really Target and Costco and online stores are picking away at the company because the govt won't do anything. Makes you wonder If the company will no longer be a good buy in ten years. Question is when do they become the Microsoft of the glasses industry.

21. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    beezel you dont know anything about anything, let alone sunglasses. get them luigi.

jp-30 likes this.
  22. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Today we see big businesses with Monopolies treating their customers like their competitors and giving them crap product. Instead of calling out the big guys the small guys just start small and take more and more market share to where the small guy gets really innovative and changes the game for everyone. Thus leaving the big business with nothing but very little market share and worse still little name recognition. Happened with smart phones. Remember how everyone had to have a blackberry. Then Apple came out and Samsung competed with them and no longer Blackberry has dominance.

23. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    what. beezel log off.

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  25. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    I think everyone is looking at this the wrong way. Go masturbate, make sure you climax, then figure out if its still worth $300. You might just be having a shopping erection that makes you place more value on it than its actually worth.