main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC guys it's almost christmas

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zapdos, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    yeah that was kinda nice of them

i usually just buy for close family myself. so parents and brothers. but my grandmothers been helping me out a lot this year with dog sitting and stuff so i should get her something nice too. hmm

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I usually only buy for my son and dad. Everybody else gets a card and a phone call.

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    My family is easy: we all need $. I usually pay bill(s) for mom and take her out and send $ to the sisters.

I did mention taking sis, her husband, mom and I to see the Force Awakens and then go out to eat. It's not so much about things any more, but family time is a commodity. It's always great to have a good time. I never did pay sis back for taking me to see Raiders of the Lost in theaters way back when, so it's about time I did something about that.

4. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002

We do that too. I also buy stuff for people under the age of 18, because Christmas.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Can I get to Norway? I want some gingerbread biscotti.

I haven't started doing anything for Christmas yet, I'm still trying to get Halloween put together beyond eating copious amounts of candy corn. Started on one kid's costume, the other one needs to decide what he wants to be soon lest he resort to "10-year-old boy with several Minecraft T-shirts", and I've got to make a final decision on my costume too.

...OK, no more Halloweening your Christmas thread, moving along.

I usually really get going right after Thanksgiving when I watch A Christmas Story for the first time of the season, turn the radio to Christmas music and get the balsam cedar scented candles out. I get a tree around the first of December. My extended family gets together in Charleston, SC one weekend every December--way more than 40 people, my Dad is one of five kids and my Mom is one of four. My siblings and I end up at our parents' house at the same time usually the day after Christmas. We always go in together on a gift for our parents but we stopped buying for each other after we all had kids; we just buy for them. The gifts part is fun enough but by far not my favorite. The best is the getting together with family--I usually only see my siblings once during the summer and at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and except for one cousin who is local, I only see my cousins at Christmas. Plus the whole celebration atmosphere.

*sigh* I'm in a good mood now, thanks.

CT-867-5309 and Zapdos like this.
  6. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    i've only recently discovered the importance of nice decorations. i've always been a very practical person and thought that less stuff is easier and i never really noticed all the candles and pictures and stuff that people have around their houses anyway. but then, after having lived in this rather big and empty apartment for a while i got all sad and **** and didn't like coming home. didn't know why. i've lived by myself for years, just haven't had all this space before. so then i started decorating and i actually can stand my own place now. i actually bought my first plant ever today. a cactus, cus i mean.. let's be realistic. even then i was a bit sceptical, but the lady behind the counter assured me that there's only one possible way to kill this plant, and that is by giving it too much water, so i think we're good.

aaaanyways. now i've decided that i'm all about christmas. cus i've always loved christmas. but since i won't be meeting family till laate (possible on the afternoon of the 24th) i should get it a bit christmasy here too so i won't be so sad about having to be alone for the most of december. and yeah, money and student budgets and **** means i'm starting now.

so i'm trying to put together a list of stuff that gives me christmas spirit like candles, cookie recipes, music, decorations, etc. i can't wait to get it all christmasy and stuff here.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I used to decorate but now I have cats and they eat everything and then vomit on the carpet. I'm turning into a Grinch. Sorry about that zapdos.

Zapdos likes this.
  8. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    Oh Christmas.... When 100 people show up at the house and stay for 5 hours talking about the same stuff over and over again. Currently I can't get anyone anything for Xmas haha so I usually sit down and write out cards and tell them not to get me anything but they do and I end up feeling guilty. Pie's good though.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    a big old spruce from norway - hook me up z

Ender Sai and Healer_Leona like this.
  11. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
  12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  13. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I have this purple-glitter Christmas tree I put up every year. Looking at it makes me very happy.

[​IMG]

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    It's Oct 12th. I went to menards and they had most of their Christmas stuff out... wtf?

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  15. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Gtfo

Zapdos and Ender Sai like this.
  16. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    U 1st.

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Vince Guaraldi and I are going to pretend you didn't say that.

No, I love Christmas in a more traditional way, as the birth of Jesus. I don't get caught up in a lot of the gift-buying hype. I buy something for my mom and that's about it. And my dog, not that he gives a flying **** about either Jesus or the gift. He ends up eating the box or something. I like the weather; it really doesn't feel like Christmas when it's hot and sunny to me. But even as a Christian, I don't really like read the Christmas story or go to a Christmas Eve service or anything. It's kind of just a time for me to meditate on the spiritual things that are important to me. But then I try to do that anyway. I guess I'm saying I don't celebrate at all really. :p There are certain kinds of Christmas music I like and will listen to; haven't done that for a couple of years though.

Charlie Brown Christmas is like one of the only things I try to do every year. That melancholy nihilism giving way to a gentle reminder about faith while kids and dogs do hilarious jazz dances in the background: it's right in my (very weird) wheelhouse.

yankee8255 likes this.
  18. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't do anything festive. No parties, lights, decorations, or any of that beyond getting people stuff. I would also rather not travel but when I do, it is usually just a few hours drive. While browsing Amazon throughout the year, I add stuff to a Wish List designated a Gift List, but then I still find myself trying to decide what to buy the few people in my life while still browsing around. I do not go to stores to shop during that season. I have yet to accomplish doing all this in a timely stress-free manner. Last year I had a Christmassy cake (several cupcakes together in the shape of a Christmas tree) made at a bakery. I think it was about $30 and that was my present to the relatives I was visiting, whomever stopped by. So with that plus whatever I bought my parents while Amazon shopping on my phone as the battery died, I think I spent less than $100. I just have a problem visiting other relatives and sending cards on time.

19. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    Christmas shopping is nearly done! [face_dancing]

The Bigger Fish pitched a major fit when I asked him what he wanted for Christmas (right after his birthday), so I may have to wait a while to buy his gift...

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    For me, the two biggest components of Christmas are the decorations and the music. I hate most contemporary Christmas music, but the classic songs sung well in the classic style -- not reinterpreted by one of Will Smith's children or whatever -- are always a delight. A quick search of Youtube turns up some of my favorites -- Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, and Dean Martin. Some Christmasy movies are always a good way of getting in the spirit, too -- our particular family tradition is It's a Wonderful Life.

Also, a tip on decorations if you want to get the most out of your money: if you get less overtly Christmas-themed stuff -- Santas and reindeer -- and more seasonal stuff -- snowmen and snowflakes -- you can keep the wintery stuff up all winter.

CT-867-5309 and Zapdos like this.
  21. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    What if I told you that the date of Dec. 25 is actually a compromise made by the Vatican with Paganists already celebrating the date as the Winter Solstice, and that some of the most cherished Christmas traditions such as wreaths, holly, Christmas Trees (and the decoration of them), and mistletoe came from paganism. ;)

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Zapdos this is among the most glorious things you have ever done on these message boards.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Dude, it's 2015. He knows.

24. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    I never assume somebody knows something. I've gotten in enough arguments to learn that lesson thd hard way. Just because I went through college doesn't mean I know algebra by heart. In fact, I know just enough math to get me though my day to day life.

25. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Started working OT to help out with X-mass.