main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC guys it's almost christmas

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zapdos, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Mr_Burns

Mr_Burns Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 12, 2001
    It is quite ridiculous, the thing to which I am looking forward the most.

Many a year, on a hot (southern hemisphere) Christmas Eve afternoon, I would walk along the waterfront to the neighbouring suburb where I would buy small, last-minute provisions from the supermarket.

I didn't think of this as a ritual, or even a routine. But it happened often.

Four and a half years ago a major earthquake occurred in my city. It did a tremendous amount of damage. Many people were killed, thousands of homes were destroyed, billions of dollars was racked up in damage. The city and its people will be affected for decades to come.

The past four Christmases, you feel more grateful for just the little things in life (while still, of course, failing to feel sufficiently grateful for many other things, and frustrated by all the disruptions and such, but, y'know, human limits and all that).

What I haven't had these past four Christmases is that supermarket trip, for that supermarket was destroyed. And it was only when it wasn't there that I realised it actually meant something.

Now that supermarket has been rebuilt. This month it will reopen. And this Christmas Eve I get to make that walk to visit it again.

And then I'll spend money on junk I don't need, but hey, Christmas.

2. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    harpua, I need a life coach to get me through xmas. What's your going rate [face_plain]

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Guys, it's already Christmas in Chicago. Yesterday was the most historic day in the history of sports history in Chicago since, oh, probably June 15.

Admiral Volshe and Ramza like this.
  4. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Dont care for Christmas but I like winter weather.

5. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
  6. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    No, Santa is real. Or was, at least. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas
    Sounds to me like you have a rodent problem. :p

7. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    what is this grinch doing in my thread

8. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Waiting for Halloween. I'll take off the Grinch costume after Thanksgiving. :p

9. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    I miss my Birthdays in the pool,big Christmas eve dinner or Christmas Day lunch with family and specially the fireworks at midnight. But at least I can celebrate Birthdays properly now even it has been a bit of a bore because of winter.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Language warning but this is kind of awesome:

Christmas shirts

I want "Merry Christmas ya filthy animal" and "Fra-jee-lay. It must be Italian."