main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Guys, I've been binge-watching Big Bang Theory.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Mar 26, 2015.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Used to like it. Now it's gotten stale.

My currently enjoyed new comedy is Fresh Off The Boat. It's a lot of fun.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Modern Family's first season was pretty good, but it never moved beyond that-- at least for the ~1.5 subsequent seasons I watched, and I haven't heard of a miraculous improvement. It got too in love with itself, in love with its protagonists' improbable wealth and financial security (Phil was a REAL ESTATE AGENT IN CALIFORNIA in 2009), in love with precocious children, having a gay-but-not-so-gay-they-are-actually-shown-kissing-and-in-sexual-situations-omg-so-progressive couple, repeating jokes from the first season, repeating tired sitcom tropes and cliches when the first season managed to make them seem kind of fresh... Oh, and the bickering. Especially with Mitch and Cam, the plot of an episode involved a fight about nothing. It was often like that with the other couples too, but especially Mitch and Cam. And the stupid closing narration got more pointless and dumber and dumber.

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Never understood the hatred towards BBT. It reminds me of American politics. People come out with outrageous pathetic claims to try and discredit it. "Oh, it has a laugh track" - well, yes, but it's still in front of an audience as with many many other shows. If you don't like it, that's fine, but for some reason there's an insipid backlash against this particular show. I put it down to it being "cool" to bash it.

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    people have been pretty articulate in their reasons for not liking it. a chief complaint is the way the show treats its female characters, and also a feeling that it's laughing at and not with nerd culture. myself, i've never watched it. partly because i trust (some of) my friends' opinions, and partly due to a general distaste for multi-cam laugh track sitcoms. i've never watched how i met your mother either.

JoinTheSchwarz and epic like this.
  5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Silicon Valley was / is hilarious.

Coruscant and epic like this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, that's just perverse. Especially given that the whole show is about laughing at nerds.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I resent the suggestion that I am in any way attempting to be "cool." I am a ****ing nerd (not just because I mention the titles of "nerdy" things) and weird and unpopular and I embrace it. Cool. Pfft.

8. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    This sums it up. It does this and says this. Oh, and I've not watched it.

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    you said "i don't get the hate". i said "this is what people have said about it". just trying to clear that up for you, but apparently reading isn't a strong suit.

10. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    And moving onto personal insults. Just like American politics :p

11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    lol just like every thread you mean. :p

i just don't want you to think i was bashing the show. i was just trying to convey the common complaints that have steered me away from it, since it seemed like you hadn't heard them before.

12. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Watched the first 5 episodes and it's pretty good. Shame the investor guy died. He was great

13. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Two and a Half Men was always solid.

jp-30, Sith-Lord-Gunray and Darth Guy like this.