main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Guys, Jello just fixed Adi Gallia for us.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    That wasn't funny. :p

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I wish I could write a novel called, "How I learned to stop worrying and love discontinuity."

JediMara77 likes this.
  3. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Unfortunately, we do see her die. Horns to the chest, impaled by a lightsaber, and you can see her body later. Not to mention Obi-Wan confirming her death.

4. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    The thing is the supposed retcon is she survived two lightsabers to the gut on Boz Pity, so by the same logic she should survive a single strike from Savage. What if she merely went into a healing trance?

5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I admit to a certain bias in Obsession was needlessly truncated and didn't give me much closure to the characters of Alpha and Ventress.

6. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    I thought the Ventress story was given a fine conclusion; I liked the unknown. Alpha's was unsatisfying, I'll admit.

Adi and Soon's deaths were very well done, imo. Adi took down two magnaguards (TCW hadn't made them weak as piss yet) before engaging Grievous face to face. When he surprises her with his extra arms is brilliant. I was so glad she didn't die in her starfighter; she's far too good a pilot for that.

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think the Clone Wars better portrayed Ventress' realistic reaction to being betrayed by Dooku, wanting revenge. The Ventress in the comics was a cruel, vindictive, evil psychopath whose first reaction to discovering Padme's existence was to threaten her with murder despite having no relationship to the Jedi. In no way did she "deserve" redemption and didn't show any remorse for her horrible actions.

Obsession gave me no thought she wouldn't murder Alpha after she escaped.

The one in the show has at least started the road to redemption, helping the victim of Boba Fett and later Obi-Wan.

8. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    ahem Adi Gallia is corellian.. so does she represent Corellian Jedi in the Council and THUS there must be a corellian Jedi representative in the Council knowing corellians and earlier councils in TOR era having each Council member represent one philosophic branch of the Order?

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The status of the Corellian Jedi is muffled by Jedi Trial since Neeja Halcyon seems to be a normal Jedi Knight.

10. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    muffled? well they are not independent like Djinn Altis order but part of the mainstream order which turns a blind eye on their stubborn traditions so long they follow the Council most of the time. still, in Corellian sector they do as they please as the EU showed us. I see no problems there. just one more case of everybody turning a blind eye and Anakin being the only one who thinks rules are rules :p

11. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    Maybe the best solution for the whole Clone Wars mess would be to simply state that for some SciFi reason or another, even for in-universe historians the whole Clone Wars timeline became a garbled mess that noone can figure out or agree on.

During that time period, we had heavy use of superweapons like the Dark Reaper, the Starkiller, and many others; the destructions of various stars and star systems, various weird Force phenomena and entities like Mortis; and events like the sudden reappearance of the Cularin system after a time jump of 14 years.

Some or all of this maybe in combination with some kind of hyperspace storm could have led to severe hyperspace disturbances that influenced the space-time-continuum. Temporal turbulences drifted through the galaxy causing erratic time jumps. In some regions like the Core Worlds, they were relatively minor, but further out from the Core, they caused temporal variations and jumps of weeks or months between some regions of space. Could have taken scientists years to discover this and figure out what happened. By then, the whole history of the Clone Wars had become a garbled mess due to erratic temporal flows.

Though such a solution would maybe be a better fit for other SciFi series.

Zorrixor likes this.
  12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Somehow I don't think this thread is taking TCW seriously. They are, in fact, making light of it and your comment is the most serious thus far. Hence the buzzkill comment.

You did make a thread at least.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Actually, this thread is me specifically engaging TCW seriously. :p

Obviously, I'd be thrilled if we could just say Adi survived the fight with Savage, but it doesn't look like that's going to be the case, any more than the cube cities are going to suddenly vanish from Mandalore or Even Piell is going to reconstitute himself like Dr. Manhattan in time for CN. So rather than stick my head in the sand, I thought this would be an elegant way of everybody getting what they want--at least everybody but the most hard-headed of us who want to pretend the show doesn't exist.

Zorrixor likes this.
  14. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I first glance, I forgot I was in the Lit.;)

Then Coop saved the day.:p

15. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I take it I'm the only one then who's expecting to see the cube cities rise into the skies in a future episode when the nomads depart to build a new Mandalore? :p
    I've joked in the past about whether the imbalance in the Force -- that big timey whimey thing that binds the universe together -- was behind Yoda saying that the Clone Wars had begun, because he knew the Force was in turmoil and its flow no longer clear and steady but a violent torrent that was splashing around chaotically. :p

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Ooh, and on their way they seed the desert with magic tree-growing efflux!

Zorrixor likes this.
  17. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I nominate Denning to write that episode.

18. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Works for me. Somewhat convoluted, but all retcons are.

Still not entirely sure what to make of Stass Allie, though; correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't she on the Council at the same time as Adi?

Thematically, Obsession works better late in the timeline, but Ventress really decided to throw a wrench into that...

19. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Did we read the same book? After she got shot she pretty much warned Obi-Wan about the attack on the Core after he had her shot

She seemed pretty betrayed on her near death. Not to mention she wanted to get the hell away from the war

20. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It easier to do when tow things you like contradict. When something good gets replaced with something lackluster what else would you expect?

Zeta1127 likes this.
  21. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    No, she replaced Adi after he original death on Boz Pity.

22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    But that's your definition of lackluster.

I adore Dark Horse Comics and usually consider them to be the ultimate expression of the EU, but I'm with Charles: Obsession was mediocre at most, and Ventress's arc in TCW has been one of the very good things of the series.

23. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I feel that Obsession had a great skeleton story, but simply wasn't given enough time to develop, though that's a common problem in comic mini-series.

24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think the comics became too enamored with Ventress and truncating the story made it worse. I also had a problem with Obi Wan wanting to redeem her when he wouldn't try for Anakin. Ventress' death should have been when she fought Anakin. Either on Yavin IV or when he causally strangled her with electrical cable (preferably the second).

The electrical cable one was just one of the best issues ever, I thought, for showing Anakin's mood Pre-ROTS.

Also how powerful he'd become.

25. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    That was my idea for Even Piell.