main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph guys we need an Oscars thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    agreed. Fiennes was absolutely perfect in Grand Budapest Hotel. He elevated the movie. People are so captivated with the style of Wes Anderson movies that they forget there are real actors performing in them.

I've only seen four of the best picture noms: GB Hotel, Birdman, Boyhood and The Imitation Game. I don't think I would've given Imitation Game a nomination. It's pretty pedestrian though entertaining enough for a ww2 era drama.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  2. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    It's like Jim Crow all over again.

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    it's disappointing. i felt like the academy had been making some small strides on this front in recent years. i feel i really need to watch all the films before i can adequately judge though. with 8 best picture nominees and only 5 in the other categories, plus standout performances from people like julianne moore in non-best picture nominated films there are bound to be some snubs.

the foxcatcher thing is weird.

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The Lego Movie being left out is disgraceful

Can't say I'm that surprised, after all Mr Turner was forgotten by BAFTA.

6. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    OMG! This Janice Min person is stalking Boba Nekhbet!

8. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Lego Movie not getting nominated was @#$^. The Dragon movie should have gotten the snub there easy.

So happy to see NightCrawler got nothing. For some reason I've had a vendetta against this movie since the award season started. It's a really good movie, but it's a pure oscar bait movie that I think failed to achieve the goal of actually being Oscar worthy. Max Landis I think said it best that the movie felt like it was the first draft, it needed one more rewrite before it was shot.

Selma. Blame Paramount for a sloppy campaign, and the old white guys probably thought that since 12 Years A Slave won last year the Race themed movie can sit out for the most part this year.

Way I see it, Boyhood wins best picture and Director, and Keaton wins best Actor.

9. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd love to know the name of this bizarro universe where pulp thrillers qualify as Oscar bait.

10. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Awww, did you get your little feelings hurt that I deleted your white pride tripe on my Facebook wall?

11. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    If who a bunch of old white and Jewish guys thought acted well in the last year is a huge problem for you, I think your priorities are poorly ordered.

12. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    If you don't think the hipocrisy of nominating a movie about civil rights without actually recognizing the efforts of any people of color isn't an elegant metaphor for the current state of American race relations, then you probably don't understand the current state of American race relations.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Like you do? I heard you haven't even bothered to read all the American Society and Black Men thread before stomping in there with your size 7s.

14. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Why must you be so verbally unpleasant over such an inconsequential issue?

Also, for clarification to those reading the thread, the "white pride tripe" I posted was literally the words "So sorry."

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I thought I was being quite polite.

Obi-Zahn Kenobi likes this.
  16. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Well maybe you should have learned better manners. (Obviously that post was in reference to Nekhbet. I'm sure you knew but just in case).

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i know how i treat issues i find inconsequential. guess some people take a different approach.

18. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    all the threads seem to be blending together today. It makes me feel like I must have been drinking. Actually, there's wine under my desk. Maybe it will help if I really do start drinking.

19. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Hi, new best friends!

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's not inconsequential, though. It's indicative of a larger cultural trend. Plus, award shows are dumb industry self-fellating farces originally conceived by studio bosses to distract their employees with shiny things and keep unions out of the industry, but Hollywood actually cares about them. Just getting nominated for an Oscar tends to boost an actor's (or cinematographer or whatever) career, and when all the nominees are white... well...

EDIT: Personally I'm rooting for Dick Poop.

Adam of Nuchtern and tom like this.
  21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    As I noted on my Facebook feed, which Boba may be finding stupid, the nominations would make Randolph and Mortimer Duke proud: supporting mostly white people who made a movie about black struggles... and black music as they are a musical people, amirite?

Darth Tunes likes this.
  22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013

23. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Oscars are the only awards I care to follow, although lately they seem less relevant than the awards that come earlier. I would like to see Richard Linklater win for Best Director. I don't expect Boyhood to get much more than that but he should be recognized for that innovative view, and I say that as a fan of his films; I haven't seen the other nominees. I see it now, the media will pit Selma against American Sniper as a left-wing verses right-wing thing, one topical controversy verses another, and the latter will be the big commercial crowd favorite. Stay tuned for the winner to see if the Academy is called racist or liberals.

24. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    So, if "Birdman" wins, will the orchestra play this as the winner heads to the stage:

Or, this:

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Use a condom next time.