main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Gwendoline Christie (Captain Phasma) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Is she going to get her gear off, I mean her helmet off or will she be masked for the entire film? Any thoughts on her surviving into the later Eps?

2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I think it would be really cool if she had some sort of cybernetic implants, like an artificial eye or something. Would add a nice touch. Unfortunately, I think there's a 50-50 chance she dies in TFA.

Revanfan1, Messi and LANDO_ROCKS like this.
  3. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    No one seems to know for certain although it seems she'll probably stay suited up with the helmet on.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Cybernetic eye hey. Have you read this or are you psychic?

http://www.starwars7news.com/2015/0...ance-of-a-villain-from-the-force-awakens.html

5. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    I always found the Adepta Sororitas from Warhammer 40.000 to be pretty awesome badass female warrior types. Something along those lines would be a great addition to Star Wars.

[​IMG]

Haven't actually seen that but that looks pretty great.

Rabs, Master_Lok and LANDO_ROCKS like this.
  6. Toxic Spider

Toxic Spider Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    The Adeptas Sororitas are badass, but they are kinda the opposite direction of Captain Phasma visually. The Sisters of Battle wear armor made to emphasize their feminine characteristics (Corsets, heels, boob armor) and boldly display their manic zeal. Phasma wears much more androgynous and impassive armor, and I see her being a much more stoic figure.

7. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Agreed, the only visual aspect I was refering to was their faces without helmets. I love 40k but that style of over the top armor, while absolutely awesome in its own universe, would really stick out in the GFFA.
    Other than that, the zeal, the fanaticism and their appearance without helms (implants, tattoos, markings, etc) could nicely be incorporated into the SW theme.

Master_Lok likes this.
  8. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    surely she'll take the helmet off at some point. but then, maybe not in the TFA

9. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
  10. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I must admit it doesn't sound like a role that is challenging in any way, more like your stereotypical villainous enforcer type. Otherwise she would worry more about what's going on inside the character rather than "make something about the character identifyable female". Whatever is that even supposed to mean?

11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    did you actually read what she said?

12. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    She is going to take of her helmet, only to reveal another helmet. Or simply, they are going to make her the new boba fett, mysterious and you never see her face.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yes, I think mysterious is what they're going for here. Unfortunately mysterious often translates to empty when it is done badly.

What did you read? I read a lot of PR babbling about the difficulties of playing a armor-wearing and masked baddie and that she somehow wanted to show the feminity of that character in a not-superficial way. I don't know what she means by that, but whatever.

There's no mention of conflict in the character or a dynamic like you hear when people speak about Kylo Ren.

This is not a slight against Christie. It is commendable if she tries to add a certain "extra" to an otherwise bland character. It's just unfortunate if Captain Phasma turns out to be bland because the role is underwritten.

14. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    It is not realistic to expect one of two secondary villains to have as developed a story in the movies as the main antagonist. That's what we have EU for. Even if she turns out to be nothing more than a badass armored supersoldier type, I think she'll still be cool.

15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I'm still gonna be disappointed if the first potential female villain ends up as nothing more than a glorified Zam Wessel. There's no reason why Christie could not play a lead villain. Kylo and Snoke probably didn't have to be male.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9195 mit Tapatalk

16. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    She'll have more to do in the film than Zam. Phasma appears in all 3 acts of the film.

17. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    i've been looking forward to phasma, kylo the most. i hope she plays it as she said with a touch of femininity but also bad@$$.

LANDO_ROCKS likes this.
  18. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    gee is there anything else we can find to complain about?

Lando Swarm likes this.
  19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Stop trolling. It's against the rules.

Lee_ likes this.
  20. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think I get what she means by looking at what she compares it to- her character in GOT. Bad ass and feminine in her own ways; not just a female playing a male type warrior; a lot of dialogue as well as personality reflects that in GOT. I don't know exactly how that translates to a masked character in TFA, but I guess we will find out. She obviously couldn't be very specific.

LANDO_ROCKS likes this.
  21. Toxic Spider

Toxic Spider Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    There is no way a character that can sell this many toys is gonna be as minor as Zam Wessel.

22. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I was hoping she was going to be a Dark Lady of the Sith or an Imperial Knight type. But if she's going to be this trilogy's Fett let's hope they went with Jango, the Fett that actually did something.

23. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I think that, of the three main baddies, Hux has the biggest chance of dying in this movie. I'd like to see her be a villain who's able to survive throughout the films, despite people dropping like flies all around her.

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    we know he dies.

25. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003

I'm reminded of silent film actors, where they relied upon more physicality to compensate for the absence of vocal intonation. Physicality not in the sense of stunts, such as Harold Lloyd and Buster Keaton, but in the magnified corporeal expressions of their characters' emotions. Chaplin shied from stunts, but he was very physical nonetheless. I think Gwendoline's facial confinement challenged her to utilize a silent film approach, even though Phasma does deliver dialogue. Her helmet renders her face emotionless. She needs to rely more upon appropriate motion and stance. Speaking of Buster Keaton, he has something in common with Phasma, in that he was notoriously deadpan, which really added to his presence and enhanced his comedy.

hippie1kenobi and thejeditraitor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.