main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Gwendoline Christie (Captain Phasma) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Her actions(or lack of) were worse than her literal screen time. If we get more of the same next time around, she's better off dead.

2. ArchStanton1862

ArchStanton1862 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    Absolutely. But now that they know she's popular with the fans (why else would people be grousing about her uselessness?) they'll throw her a couple of badass moments in the next one.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  3. Pogue

Pogue Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 28, 2014

I love that fact she did all this press for the movie and she was in it for about the same amount of time Daniel Craig was in his cameo. Lol.....

Force22, Bigger Fish and Kiki-Gonn like this.
  4. Toxic_Beauty

Toxic_Beauty Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2015
  5. chris1982

chris1982 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2015
    I was surprised and disappointed she didn't participate in the battle at Maz Kanata's castle. Would have been a great scene for her to shine.

6. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    That was really odd after her being such a part of the press junket.
    And she seemed like the type that would die before betraying the Empire, oh sorry- First Order.

7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Seemed like the type based on what? Her character isn't really even one before her giving up easily. There's nothing to suggest she would or wouldn't die heroically before she lowers those shield. The only thing she is before that is a stormtrooper with cool armor.

8. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Trouble with Phasma is it seems so much a token part (if her the actresses skills from GOT was so good why did they give her so little time in this role?). And cool designs dont make for cool characters who do alot (re Boba Fett in the OT).
    Overhyped and underwhelming. Just hope thats the last we see of the character.

9. magmd

magmd Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2003

Again, I think she was cut out in the editing process. She clearly was there as shown by her Vanity Fair photo we all drooled over. Shame.
    [​IMG]

10. DavidWONKenobi

DavidWONKenobi Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2015
    I'm just curious if she ended up in the trash compactor or the Space chute ??

They should have had her fight Finn at Maz castle battle.. Would have given the character a reason to be in the story instead of really no point in all the shiny armor and a few lines...

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    *off topic*

As far as stuff that's ACTUALLY in the film, I loved that Phasma has an almost motherly, protective feel towards her troopers, taking offense to Hux's insinuation. Even when Finn shows up at the base, Phasma isn't necessarily mad with Finn. I'm fascinated to see where her path takes her in regards to Finn.

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Finally getting a chance to actually comment after having seen the movie and engaging in a crap-ton of moderation.

Lemme just say...I found the Boba Fett comparisons to be most apt ;)

Bigger Fish likes this.
  13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Also, dunno if this has been discussed already, but what would have made for a great use of her character would've been if Finn's duel had been with Phasma instead of Some Random Trooper.

Have her be part of the ground raid and have her lose her blaster in the fight. Have her bust out the vibro-tonfa. Have her recover from being shot by Han. Simple, and would've have made her something more than Boba Fett, i.e., someone who looks cool but doesn't accomplish anything other than get taken out for laughs.

cwustudent likes this.
  14. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

She's no good to us dead. :p

Vorax likes this.
  15. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    She was put in the septic cargo hold . Somehow she makes it out've the compactor in the knick of time and escapes the exploding planet. She one upped Fett's Sarlacc(provide he made it out've there alive officially) already. Wonder if her armor would be a copper color next time.

DarthBane93 likes this.
  16. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    This is much more interesting than her simply being "badass."

I think of the disappointment with Phasma to be a sympton of the character camp phenomenon, where people latch onto characters for their badassery. But characters are meant to serve a story, not a specialized fanbase. And Phasma was meant to serve Finn's story. He turned the tables on her, and that's that.

But it will be interesting to see what's done with her in 8.

17. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Guys, i have this weird theory, but the more i think about it, the more it makes sense : what if Captain Phasma is a spy for the Republic ?
    That would not only explain her lack of resistance, but also what happened to Finn. I can't help but feel weird about Finn awakening by himself, but if its conditionning was somehow "sabotaged" by a third party.
    So, maybe Phasma was trying to recruit Finn, as she needed some trooper to send to the Senate (and warn them about the upcoming destruction). That also explain why Finn knows everything about the weak point : Phasma chose him because of that...

CakeThiefPro likes this.
  18. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I agree. Both times I've seen the film I got more from Phasma than "I'm cool." She seems very nuturing in an evil way. I really want a confrontation between her and Finn where she isn't a hostage. It could be great story telling.

I was sad at first to hear Phasma wasn't in the film much, but once I saw it, I thought it fit fine.

19. chris1982

chris1982 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2015
    Sorry to disappoint you.

But luckily she is already confirmed for Episode VIII. :)

That would have been awesome, would hava made more sense than the random trooper and she would have gotten her moment to shine. Too bad we didn't see her in an actual combat situation.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    Phasma was an action figure. Nothing more. They should come up with some new characters in episode 8. Maybe Snoke puts a bounty on Rey and a host of cool bounty hunters try to hunt her.

21. CakeThiefPro

CakeThiefPro Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 16, 2015

I like that theory a lot. I didn't mind Phasma's screen time but her instantly betraying the FO felt a little off. The only thing I could think of is that it's a reminder most villains are self centered cowards above all else but it felt more like comic relief than a serious message. This could really redeem her as a character although I doubt they're going to give her enough screen time to make it work now. Also Leia might have mentioned it to Han before he left on such a dangerous mission.

22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    All I can say is that the way they used her was bizarre.

At the very least they could have given her a cool death scene and then transfer the armor to a replacement.

A minor major missed step.

23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I hope she has more to do in Ep 8, if she's alive. Also, her last moments were actually played for laughs, if anything, which was quite strange.

24. Phasma's Armor Polish

Phasma's Armor Polish Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 29, 2015
    I really liked the look of Phasma, the first scene we see her in, when she's walking towards Ren, she looks so Intimidating, you wouldn't want to mess with her. I wish they had left out the silly Rakhtar stuff and put more Phasma scenes in, it seems like she had a part in the battle at Maz's castle but they were cut.

25. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Under normal circumstances, I would be all for a strong female role like that for Captain Phasma; but I really didn't get much out of it in this movie. We see some moments with her barking orders around at the troopers on Jakku, but later on she submits to Finn and company pretty easily when they're attempting to rescue Rey and bring down starkiller base. It'll be interesting to see what her role will be in the future movies. I'm hoping we actually get to see her with the helmet off.

Krueger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.