main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Gwendoline Christie (Captain Phasma) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Phasma works in the movie as a paper-tiger, she seems nasty and menacing at the start but, in the end, Chewie tackles her (which makes me laugh) and they toss her into a trash compactor (even Phasma's head-whip upwards and the clanking noise of the armour also makes me laugh). It does show how this person who is implied (and has been shown) to have considerable influence on Finn's life isn't as powerful as she seems to be.

Martoto77 likes this.
  2. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    http://movieweb.com/captain-phasma-how-escape-trash-compactor-force-awakens/
    ...Captain Phasma runs through the exploding base trying to hunt down Sol Rivas, who was the last one to access the Base's shields. But everybody is trying to do the exact same thing as her, which is run. She then orders some Stormtroopers to stay on their post, basically killing them with her own hands. As she gets out, she's able to see Rey and Kylo Ren battle it out before commandeering a TIE Fighter with a pilot who was working on it. They obviously get out in the nick of time and it's during this time that the BB-9E is first officially introduced."

So, it's seems BB-9E would be Phasma's buddy after all.

3. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Until he meets Poe than begins the inevitable battle for which droid is Poe's buddy!;)
    Inevitably they agree to share!:D

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Which is what Darth Vader was considered as for some time by Lucas.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Phasma's introduction to BB-9E in issue #1 is kind of awesome, she just offhandedly addresses it to the TIE Pilot "What is this droid doing here? It's in the way." So even if BB-9E is her sidekick she already kind of hates them.

6. Hopeless

Oct 28, 2006

And here I was imagining she was restraining the impulse to pick him up and hug him treating him as if he was a truly cute kitten!

7. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I just read a quote from Rian Johnson in Entertainment Weekly that it's possible that Phasma will return in Ep. 9.

Blame_It_On_Lucas likes this.
  8. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    I actually think it's important for her to come back in IX. Even if her role is minor again at least I can respect her as a gimmick or the 'Wedge' of the First Order for this trilogy. If TLJ is the last we see of her then it feels like she was a substantially bigger waste to me for some reason.

NexuLeader likes this.
  9. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    For me I can't figure out if it would be better or worse if she came back. In that same Entertainment Weekly quote Rian Johnson joked that bringing Phasma back would turn her into Kenny from South Park, which is pretty much what I was thinking even before I read the quote.

10. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I almost feel like she will return in Episode IX, with some sort of burn injury and/or metal melted onto her skin.

11. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    Sure it's possible.

It's also possible Han Solo will return from the dead. Right under that mist on Starkiller Base, there was a huge flexible trampoline. Doctors patched that wound up and he's good to go.

12. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I dearly hope that Phasma does return in 9. Because so far, its been such a waste of a character with huge potential. I really like the Phasma character (or should I say the potential of what she could be). She grew up as a warrior in a very primitive tribe and was formidable. Her novel was a really good read I felt. She needs to be given the same respect in the movies and with a return in 9.

And for goodness sakes, stop making her this patsy of Finn's. Show her doing something, show her exhibiting these primal warrior instincts and kicking some ass. Don't put her in any scenes with Finn. You (Lucasfilm) made her different from any other Stormtrooper/Clone Trooper that had come before her, so give the character the respect she deserves; not a 'Kenny' laughing stock character. There's enough room in the movies to allow her character to shine and grow too.

And yes, I know she plunged to her death in the massive firepit. But her armour is made from Palpatine's personal shuttle and if memory serves me correctly, the metal used to make that hull was very strong; stronger than a lot of other metals. I am happy if there is abit of 'disfigurement' where the fire burnt her skin; to add some authenticity to what she experienced as she plunged. But her armour should have been enough to have protected her. And I'm equally as happy if JJ decides that there had been some sort of craft for her to escape that was below this firepit. I could accept this little bit of make believe for the character's sake.

I hope Phasma returns and in a big enough way to do justice to her character. And not as a lame Kenny meme-like character.

Phasmus likes this.
  13. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    She is dead and gone

14. Hopeless

Oct 28, 2006
    Yes a waste imagine if instead we learned she's Rey's Aunt, she not Rey was responsible for mind tricking that guard she deliberately walked into Han & co hoping to coax them into helping a freed Rey.
    Keep the comic as is except she blew the door to that disposal chute off with explosives from her utility belt!
    Now episode 8 she deliberately frees Finn to help her rescue Rey from Snoke we learn it wasn't an accident he broke the brainwashing revealing Phasma is helping a fifth column inside Snoke's Imperial Remaint to topple the lunatic.
    They help fight the guards, whilst Kylo ascends the throne Finn escapes with Rey and Phasma remains undiscovered since Kylo thinks Hux ordered her to help him.

Does that sound better to you?

15. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Most definitely not like any of this.

Just something in her character arc that fleshes out her character and gives more substance than simply Star Wars bling. Her armour is very pretty to look at and I don't want this taken away, but I'm more interested in what lies beneath that armour.

Take old Boba Fett for instance. Mega cool armour that I feel most fans loved. But although he looked menacing in it, he wasn't just a suit. The brief scenes that featured Boba Fett from the OT only served to enhance and reinforce this image of a menacing, uncompromising, crafty and formidable bounty hunter; this and many more traits. That's what helped spawn additional material in books and comics because not only did he look good, his bad-ass character traits is something that captured our imaginations and drew us to him; all of the Boba Fett fans that is. Sure he ended up in the Saalac, but he was defeated by a Jedi Knight. Up until that point though, nobody could stop him and he had the audacity to stand up to Vader and demand his prize not be damaged.

Phasma has that same potential. I would like her to have a similar amount of screen time as Boba, but what she does in them also needs to reflect the same level of respect given to Boba's character. And I don't know how the storygroup should do this as whatever I could come up with would be extremely lame in comparison to what they could do.

But if I were to offer a suggestion on how to treat this character now, someone may have mentioned this some time ago (possibly after TFA) but I will reiterate this again. I would like to see her leave The First Order now and become a bounty hunter herself. I know this partly contradicts what I said above about her Chrome Stormtrooper armour, but maybe that ship has sailed now. Maybe should could have a new really cool bounty hunter-like armour that is made/modified from her old one; one that looks just as good as the stormtrooper armour. But then we explore Phasma's character more in some scenes of her as a bounty hunter that show what she was like in her novel.

Something like this. TLJ was a massive improvement on her character from TFA, but that was never going to be hard. However, her character was still not given the respect it should have been; despite her only ever being a supporting-cast character.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    A waste of a good actor

Pete Ren likes this.
  17. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Hmm, but Wedge was never propped to be an important character on the posters or the toys or anything. He was just there doing awesome things as a pilot. And was one of the few to be shown at the celebration on Endor. By contrast Phasma has been shown since day 1 as a "badass" whatever that was going to be "important" or something. Perhaps she has in a Bobba Fett kind of way, but since I find Bobba Fett to be a massively overrated character...

18. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    They will maybe recycle her character for a short cameo
    [​IMG]

CEB and The Regular Mustache like this.
  19. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    You know this may have worked have they not shown her to be organic under the helmet. She could've come back if in EPIX it's shown to be a droid of some sort.

20. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I guess if you wanted Phasma to be even more lifeless, that would be a good solution.

21. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    If they plan on bringing her back for the next one then why did they bother showing her fall to her death gulped in flames?

Did rian feel it needed to happen for the sake of his story but thinks Abrams may just bring her back anyway?

22. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    You assume Rian was serious that she could be back.

TFA didn't feature any named bad guys dying.

Now in TLJ, we got two of them: Phasma and Snoke.

There's no reason to keep bringing more bad guys back as we head in to the homestretch of Episode IX.

23. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    Gwendoline Christie just said she's worried that Phasma won't be back and that she'll be disappointed that the character wasn't explored at all.

Man, RJ is really taking it, that's for sure.

Pete Ren likes this.
  24. 357hermon

357hermon Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 6, 2016
    Oh please no! What is with characters that are clearly defeated making illogical returns? If they're doing it for fandom sake then priorities are out of wack. Lucasfilm: She may look kind of cool but her story was bleak and it's done now. STOP rehashing nonsense and focus more diligently on consistency of storyline please.

25. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    If she doesn't return they may decide to explore her in the next animated show if it's set between 6 and 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.