main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Gwendoline Christie (Captain Phasma) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Villains are often cowards. Phasma is no exception. Doesn't "ruin" her character. Just makes her a coward. Do we need to love every villain? Are we supposed to revel in their badassness, at the expense of the heroes?

Not to mention that she's a tertiary character. She's not meant to be great. Plain and simple.

2. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    I really hope they aren't making Phasma out to be a coward. I would very much prefer her to be complex. imho, next to Kylo she should be the badass of the FO. I'm having a hard time seeing making Phasma a coward anything but a wasted opportunity.

3. Sithblade11

Sithblade11 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 12, 2013
    A comic book style adaption of TFA came out recently in the UK , while flicking through I noticed it had a picture of Hux and another person dragging Kylo into his shuttle as Rey is running towards Finn. That's one of the problem of the movie is there's no indication Kylo or Phasma make it out.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

4. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    She needs a moment to shine, give her a moment similar to that Vader scene in Rogue One.

Mostly Handless and Strongbow like this.
  5. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Maybe while Finn and KMT are undercover, they see her kill some people?

6. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Agree. It's too early to say she's a failed character IMO.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  7. Hoth_in_Winter

Hoth_in_Winter Jedi Knight star 1

May 19, 2014
    Captain Phasma is like Boba Fett. I like both of them. They are cool but also insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Expecting more from them is ignoring the fact that they are only meant to be a cool eclipse.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  8. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    you would think the spear rumor would have added 10+ pages of discussion....[face_laugh]:p

9. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    [​IMG]

*Clears throat*

A little birdie told me that Phasma's spear is eerie similar in design to Boba Fett's "bane". Familial connections confirmed?!

starocean90 likes this.
  10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Phasma fighting with a spear against Finn with his "axe" would be fantastic. Give her something to do, and also (probably) allow Finn to finally win a melee fight. Before the Awakening showed that Finn was actually really good in hand-to-hand combat so in theory, he only lost his two fights in TFA because he was unfamiliar with a lightsaber (and even then, look at his form, particularly against Nines–it's pretty evident he's trained, and only lost because of the weapon).

What's interesting to me is how Phasma will fight. Will her style be similar to bo staff fighting, like Rey did on Jakku? Or will it be more of a "stabbing" style, with repeated thrusts and lunges but not a lot of swinging? Or maybe her "spear" isn't actually very long, and can be used one-handed, almost like a sword. And then there's Finn's "axe," which we're not even sure is an axe at all.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I bet Phasma takes off her helmet, and it's Padme.

Just to **** with people.

12. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    I just imagine her fighting like Gwendoline's character on Game of Thrones, which is like raw power sword swinging.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Right, but depending on the length of the spear, it'd be a bit different than broadsword fighting.

14. Darth Imbecillis

Darth Imbecillis Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    For what it's worth, Gwendoline's stunt double in TLJ is the same as her sword-fighting stunt double in Game of Thrones.

15. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Boba was actually cool, she was trash. Boba didn't end the film with his pants pulled down around his ankles, she basically did... Boba was left mysterious, threatening... She was owned and shoved down a chute with recyclable cans by an 80 year old man, and a sanitation worker. She's was supposed to be a highly trained officer, bad ass.

The worse part isn't even that, it's that they played her up to be big and bad, and as if she was an empowered female character...only for us to find that her character wasn't very empowered or threatening.

But, I don't have a problem with her character, and don't mind her showing up again. I just don't know if she can come off cool or a bad ass anymore.

I have absolutely no problem seeing her again.

[​IMG]

16. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I think the mods have made it clear that referring to Finn as a "sanitation worker," which simply isn't true at this point in his story, is heavily frowned upon.

Revanfan1 and Darth Smurf like this.
  17. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    I'd be sanitation worker in a heartbeat. Pays good money, and is hard, respectable work. It's sort of backwards to shame it and suggest that mentioning the job function should be banned from the web site. The Oscar the Grouch reference was meant for Phasma. As she is in a trash bin, and wearing a metal can around her. (Sort of abstract...) If I've offended any one, I'm sorry but it was by no means my intention. Anything else that could be said is pointless, the mods can be left to decide.

I was merely suggesting that some one who works in sanitation and has basic combat training shouldn't be able to handle the imperial woman who trained all imperial grunts in combat and is there to keep them in check. She should of put of a fight, deserved better. Finn isn't a death trooper or anything, he's not advanced, he's not the same rank as Phasma. He wasn't said to have exceptional marks or skills in combat.

They sort of say it in the movie, it's not like it was derogatory or anything, I see nothing work with being a sanitation worker. I'm pretty sure it's a line from the movie. I study Graphic Design, I'm not going to go from that to fighting Bruce Lee over night. The story deserved better...

It's just a story, it's not reality.... I think sanitation an admirable profession. The story however, a work of fiction...some things just don't seem to make sense, but there are exceptional people. If we must go there, I'll go there...

Both Finn and Rey turned out to be exceptional people. Though, one has to wonder how Finn is able to take on one of the highest ranking officers in the imperial fleet who has advanced training in combat...and Rey can take on Kylo Ren without any force training, when Kylo has training in the dark side of the force and Rey has picked up a light saber for the first time in her life. Not to mention how Finn puts up an amazing fight. Clearly they are both exceptional people. I don't think it's fair to only call Rey a Mary Sue if you're going to call some one a Mary Sue. :D Also, Finn some how is the only imperial ever to escape imperial mind control... There are exceptional people in this world, though...

Regardless, my point still stands the film ends with Phasma's pants around her ankles. Boba Fett did not have the same treatment in ESB...and in my opinion it harms the image of the character. I'm not knocking Finn, I just don't feel that the story is very entertaining or makes a whole lot of sense. I rather see Finn, live a couple of years, get hardened before he faces off against Phasma...I rather see Phasma put up a fight.

I'm not the only one disappointed with Phasma, they built her up, just to shove her down a garbage chute without any fight. Not very entertaining story telling...if you read that in a novel, you'd probably just laugh Phasma's character off and never think of her again. The point I was making wasn't that sanitation is a terrible job, or that I look down on those working in sanitation. That's a high paying job, and difficult work... It's that I think the story is weak. None of the villains in this film at this point are threatening...You wouldn't imagine that Finn had the ability or training to pull something like that off. It's just lousy story telling... It should of happened in later films.

Kylo Ren basically has his pants around his ankles too...

Just because I feel a certain job profession and set of skills is limited in some ways, or not comparable to advanced weapons training, and highly skilled positions in a combat training unit, doesn't mean I look down on that profession. Doesn't change the fact, that unlike Boba the film ends with Phasma's pants around her ankles. Very disappointing...story deserved far better, the characters did too.

18. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

That's exciting. Gwen Christie is amazing, and Phasma is a great character concept. She was undersused in the TFA to be sure, though I attribute much of that to he being a last-minute addition. But if they want her to be a credible villain, she needs to to be shown as a genuine threat.

19. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Jar Jar!

20. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Finn was trained, from childhood, to be a highly-skilled stormtrooper. He simply worked in "sanitation" during the short period of time he was on Starkiller Base (though even then, he was a storntrooper that worked in sanitation, not a sanitation worker). Calling him a "sanitation worker" in TFA is both inaccurate and unnecessarily inflammatory.

I imagine you use the inaccurate term in order to artificially bolster your argument against Finn defeating Phasma. I understand why you do that, but it's still artificial. Phasma was defeated by a stormtrooper trained since childhood, not a sanitation worker.

Strongbow likes this.
  21. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    Well, perhaps it's my misunderstanding...and perhaps your's too... I never intended for it to be inflammatory. I'm not conflict driven. I've attempted to explain myself, avoid misconceptions...

Phasma was walked to a dumpster and pushed in, she wasn't "defeated" as much as she was obtained, without any sign of a fight or struggle, perhaps there's some "artificiality" to your own argument. It was a disappointing sequence of events. The story, characters deserve better. I look towards Finn fighting Phasma again after he's been through the thick of it some more. Similar to Luke in Star Wars, if he had fought Vader in ANH, or shoved him down a garbage chute, it wouldn't be believable, enjoyable...And believe you, me...I would call Luke a simple farm boy without any jedi training in ANH...and I don't look down on farm boys...

It's a misunderstanding we have here and I never intended to offend any one, or create a controversy here, regardless of your interpretation. So I take the given right to vouch out of this one.Sorry we got started on a misunderstanding. I'm not going to argue some one else's interpretation of my own words when I know what I meant to say and tried to make that clear. That is some what "artificial" in of itself... I don't have time to be incriminated for something I've said with no malice intended, or desire to be "inflammatory"...

As much fun as child-like altercations are, I truly meant no offense, I've explained that already and I'm not open to being demonized without true cause or reason. I've said what I meant, and I meant what I said. Very likely, I misunderstood Finn's background and skills, and perhaps over estimated Phasma's. Though I'd assume that with age, experience and her advanced rank and position, that Phasma should be a fight for Finn... but each to their own...Not seeing any sort of struggle, threat from Phasma was disappointing...

I'm going to go run on the treadmill... enjoy your week end.

22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Depends.

Grievous is an incredible coward, terrific character and great cowardly heel villain.

Before TFA came out I wondered if Phasma might be in the Grievous mode simply because of the look with the cape.

They totally failed on the promotion of the character in part due to the actor being from GOT and expectations. Then the character stands around and does nothing. Does she even fire her gun once? Grievous was funny but also deadly when needed while Phasma like the First Order itself come off as a bunch of incompetents. They really are quite poor at what they are supposed to be doing.

As many people pointed out right away the way TFA sets up Phasma and Finn was something that simply didn't happen. If Phasma had been the First Order Trooper that Finn battled on Takodana (and whether she gets killed or her armor saves her to fight another day) then she at least has a cool battle and does something.

23. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Yeah, I don't think this will be a productive conversation as I consider Grievous to be the worst character in all of Star Wars. Behind Jar Jar, Gunray, Dooku, etc. A miserable convoluted mess of a thing. Much prefer the simple fall of petty boss, Phasma.

24. Landb

Landb Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2017
    Using Phasma in VIII and trying to make her actually cool would be like reversing the order of ROTJ and TESB's use of Fett. People still try to make him cool with a certain amount of success because he at least had one movie of being cool before the second where he died a chump death. If his first appearance had been the chump death, there's no way he'd have the same following. Even with the benefit of TESBs portrayal you have plenty of people who don't buy into the hype.

At this point the best use of Phasma is either:
    A) She died in the trash compactor.
    B) In early VIII she gets executed for her role in the Starkiller disaster by a better villain.
    C) (Worst option) She is revealed to have been a traitor all along.

25. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    i think phasma can be partially redeemed by showing her to at least be a good fighter.

in the trash compactor scene she really wasnt in a position where she could fight.