main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Gwendoline Christie (Captain Phasma) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

I will disagree there, although all I wanted answered about Rey is her instant force powers. Phasma was played up as someone formidable and not to be messed with, and all we got was Gwen in a great costume. Not much there, so yeah I want a little more backstory in the movie so she isn't just a cypher. I do not read the novels and definitely not the comics since Marvel took over, so give those of us who are movies something else than a great look please.

2. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I think the problem isn't so much the movies themselves, it's the marketing. Phasma never should have been hyped/marketed the way she was since Disney/LucasFilm knew she really wasn't a major character at all. Without the hype, no one would have cared about her lack of backstory because we would have accepted her for what she actually was-- a peripheral character, just like countless others in SW. Imagine if Greedo had been hyped up as a super bad-ass bounty hunter before ANH came out... that's pretty much the equivalent of what happened with Phasma.

Anyway, it seems we will get to see more of Phasma in TLJ. I doubt we'll get much backstory, but I expect we'll see her a bit more involved in the action, and hopefully Gwendolyn Christie gets to show off her acting a bit more.

3. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Nice pose by the trooper queen.

4. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    With a novel and comic, I am impressed this character is getting that attention.

She did deserve more character time for TFA, though.

5. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    She didn't exist before the TFA creators created her. How does a previously nonexistent character "deserve" more screentime in their first film? They've quite literally done nothing to earn it beforehand.

6. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    So...
    A) she isn't Rey's mother?
    B) she isn't a fifth column inside the First Order helping the Resistance?
    C) she's not a grown up Cindel Towani from the Ewok movies?

7. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    Can't imagine these Phasma things, flying off the shelves after what they did in vii. Maybe they'll really build her up in this movie, she'll dominate a bunch of resistance soldiers, Finn Poe, then some dramatic death in ix.

8. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Hm...

9. zam wesell2005

Oct 23, 2015
    That's disappointing if true. This character needs anything she can to become even remotely important. Showing Christie, would help. I would think they would move on from her, but since they're putting so much into her, maybe she'll have a fight scene with her helmet on in this movie, and her helmet off in the last one.

10. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    It was 22 years before Boba Fett's face was shown, and even then it was only young Boba Fett. Phasma has another 19 years to reveal her face, if it's really that important.

oncafar and Gigoran Monk like this.
  11. zam wesell2005

Oct 23, 2015
    Boca Fett, was not played by Gwendoline Christie. You don't waste that.

12. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    We haven't seen Lupita Nyong'o's actual face either. And you don't see most of Karl Urban's face in Dredd, which of course isn't Star Wars but does support the idea that a role isn't limited by limited facial appearance.

13. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    Phasma takes off her helmet to reveal another slightly shinier helmet.

What Girl, 11-4D, Revanfan1 and 6 others like this.
  14. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Via reddit and from the novel:

Phasma is only out for herself. She does not care about the ideals of the First Order. She’s just there because it was, for her, the best option at the time. If and when she finds a better opportunity, she’ll betray the FO in a heartbeat if she thinks it is in her best interests to do so. Quote from the book: "No one will see the real Phasma until the moment when what the First Order wants is no longer what she wants. One day – and it’s coming – Phasma will betray them all."

15. N7Jedi

Feb 13, 2016
    Yeah it seems like they implied the possibly of Phasma defecting at some point pretty hard.

I could see her being the one to kill Hux.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  16. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016

Theres a big difference. Maz is an alien, she has no human face. So how would they even do that unless they come up with a plausible reason to appear human? Phasma is just wearing a helmet, so itd be fairly easy for them to decide to just have her take the helmet off.

17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Interesting. I guess that's their way of making her similar but different to Boba. She's of the system but she has no loyalty to it. Whereas Boba was independent from the system but worked for it occasionally.

18. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    And if Christie was playing a mo-cap alien then I would agree. But if Phasma is human underneath that armor and they have no plans of showing her without the mask why hire her for the role in the first place? I guess the cynic in me is beginning to believe that to improve the male to female quota JJ and Co, to deflect criticism about lack of roles for women, not only made Phasma female at the last hour, but also hired a somewhat well-known actress in Christie to convince the public that the role was a more pivotal one.

19. yodarulzall

yodarulzall Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 1, 2000

So her appearance is different, and she betrays them all? Phasma is a redhead confirmed?:confused:

20. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    That level of deception and evil can only mean one thing...Jar Jar is under the helmet. [face_devil]

21. zam wesell2005

Oct 23, 2015
    Phasma
    [face_plain]

22. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    I'm thinking an ESB & rotj sort of reveal!

Rey is Frey the child Phasma took along with her and supposedly murdered to cover up her past.
    I think she left her in Unkar's care on Jakku faking her death due to a "weapon's malfunction" to protect her as ruthless as she is Frey is a weak spot so I suspect she'll pull a Darth Vader sacrificing herself to protect her.

The other possibility is Hux betrays her leaving her for dead but she manages to avenge herself quite possibly helping Finn save Rey in the process

Yes I know very unlikely but would you cheer if this happened?

23. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    the novel seems to restore phasma as formidable. since she is only out for herself she went ahead and lowered SKB shields instead of risking her life.

i've speculated that phasma has a soft spot for finn (though tlj may prove that totally wrong) because he was the best (like her, apparently). that's why she didn't report him even though she knew he wasn't killing on missions.

Darth Mikey likes this.
  24. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Wasn't Jakku his first field assignment?

25. N7Jedi

Feb 13, 2016

No according to the Before the Awakening book, his first assignment was some mining facility full of protesting miners working in terrible conditions. He was the only one who didn't open fire on the miners.

oncafar likes this.