main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Gwendoline Christie (Captain Phasma) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

1. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    TFA (movie) might have negated the backstory since finn called it his first mission. it was only in reading finn's backstory that i thought phasma had either a soft spot for him or just thought it would be a waste to lose all that talent.

also in the backstory phasma tried to get finn not to try to save people on his team because they are weak links. from her pov (given new info), risking his life for others on the team makes no sense. so it's like she sees someone who is the best (like her) but he keeps doing "foolish things."

but i wonder who phasma is training: individuals how to survive, or loyal servants of the FO... they can be competing aims.

2. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Phasma missed her true calling, as a gangster/crime boss.

3. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    That's cool. So at the end of IX, I bet she finally takes off her helmet revealing Sylvester Stallone who then yells at Kylo Ren that he betrayed thah laaaawwwwww

5. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Isn't she going to be revealed as Rey's mom?

6. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    You could have something there. When they're on the bridge after Finn and Poe escape,she's asked why he wasn't sent to reconditioning after his refusal to fire on Jakku. Her response was "It was his first offense", in almost a sad tone. But now we know it WASN'T the first time he refused to fire on others while under her command. Did she cover up his first incident, the one with the miners? And perhaps she tried to cover up this one as well (again, not sending him for reconditioning, which I guess is the standard procedure for Troopers who don't follow an order?), but then he helped Poe escape, and it was something she couldn't sweep up under the rug.

7. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    exactly. if the backstory isn't negated, she was covering up for finn, which is really interesting.

8. BrotherKylo

BrotherKylo Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 30, 2017
    I love Captain Phasma and that whole story of her. I just bought the book and so excited to start it tonight.

9. Xrys T'Ala

Xrys T'Ala Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 13, 2016
    I've just finished the Phasma novel, here's what we now know about her. WARNING - these are HUGE spoilers for the novel so don't open if you don't want to know! :p

Appearance
    • Human, female, pale white skin
    • Blue Eyes
    • A halo of soft gold hair
    • According to the book "a deadly beauty"
    • No-one alive in the First Order knows what she looks like now.
    Origins and First Order
    • Born on Parnassos to a primitive family tribe.
    • Joined another tribe called the Scyre when they destroyed family tribe (with her help)
    • Was joint Scyre clan leader with her brother Keldo when FO ship of Brendol Hux crashed. Keldo is the warrior with the metal leg in the Phasma book exclusive poster.
    • Escaped Parnassos with Hux to join the FO after killing Keldo and remaining Scyre tribe save two
    • Her armor she created herself salvaged from the remains of Brendol's ship which crashed on Parnassos. The ship was Palpatine's old Naboo yacht.
    • Her arrmorweave cape is one of only two awarded to FO "Captains". The other belongs to an Officer called Cardinal (also in the exclusive book posters).
    • She joined the first order approx 10 years before TFA as a trooper.
    • She is responsible for training all FO recruits from age 16 upwards. Cardinal trains them before this.
    • Her base is the Finalizer.
    • She assassinated Brendol Hux on the orders of his son Armitage who took over.

DaddlerTheDalek and Hopeless like this.
  10. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    And?
    Seriously nice briefing!
    How old would Frey be by the time of TFA?

Xrys T'Ala likes this.
  11. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I'm thinking of getting the book on the weekend.

12. Xrys T'Ala

Jan 13, 2016
    Thanks! :)
    Frey was five on Parnassos so I guess she would have been about 15-16 by TFA I guess. But she died in a training "accident" aboard the Finalizer six months after graduating from Cardinal's Training Program.

13. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Reading this, I'd love it if she ends up being the one to kill Armitage Hux. Nice irony there.

14. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Yeezus, sounds like she has chronic backstabbing disorder. A true psychopath. I wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her- and considering Gwendoline's size, that's less than an inch!

15. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Which ironically, kind of makes her more interesting. If they go anywhere with that character trait that is.

16. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    the FO is full of traitors it seems... how long can it hold itself together?

17. Xrys T'Ala

Jan 13, 2016
    Yes, the behaviour of all the FO high command seems self-interested at best! But the reason historically these sort of regimes persist is that under the machinations of the elite are layers and layers of loyal members (soldiers in this case) who are the momentum of the organisation. So if one commander supplants another, as long as the chain-of-command is retained it doesn't matter. The only way it can be destroyed from within is if there are two equally matched rivals who end up factionalising those under their command. However, an absolutist leader like Palpatine or Snoke would never permit this situation to arise, so I can't see this happening with the FO until Snoke is destroyed (in the same way the empire split apart when Palpatine died).

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  18. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    ah. but the soldiers are not loyal either. they were taken from their families and forced into servitude. they are trained by phasma who is in it for herself. in finn's backstory phasma trained them to leave the weak among them to die (don't help your teammates). so their is no loyalty with one another either. in TFA the FO personnel were too afraid of authority to leave their stations when SKB was blowing up before their eyes. fear seems to be the glue that holds the FO together, but it seems there are more traitors in the woodwork than in the empire. a lot of the imperials believed in their "cause." i'm just wondering if the FO is going to fall apart. finn's defection is a sign of how it can't maintain its cohesion. hux sat staring at finn's profile trying to figure out what's wrong with his perfect program... the entire basic skeleton is what's wrong with it. hux will never be able to see that.

Xrys T'Ala likes this.
  19. Xrys T'Ala

Jan 13, 2016
    Yes, good points! I've not read "Before the Awakening" yet which I guess contains the Finn story you mention? I wonder if the rot set in when Cardinal ceased to train the younger recruits and Hux+Phasma took over completely with their survival-of-the-fittest mentality? Such deterioration could also fit in with Kylo's jibe at Hux about getting a clone army instead in TFA too.

oncafar likes this.
  20. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    admittedly i probably read about finn on wookiepedia or somewhere similar and i'm terrible at remembering titles/names.

21. Xrys T'Ala

Jan 13, 2016
    Another thing that has just occurred to me after reading the book is Phasma's age and how it might relate to her portrayal in TLJ. She should be 26-27 at the time of TFA and Gwen is late 30s. Given what we know about her appearance from the novel, I wonder if the face we (may) see in TLJ is a younger CGI version of Gwen like what was done with Jeff Bridges in Tron legacy? Not that Gwen looks her age at all or couldn't pass for late 20s, but if it were that simple she could have been made up to look in-character at the Vanity Fair shoot? Whereas she doesn't look like the character description there (she looks more Brienne-of-Tarth). And the evasion from people like Pablo about the whole thing makes me wonder that it won't just be Gwen if Phasma removes her helmet.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  22. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I remember someone said Phasma's face in TLJ will not look like it was shown in the EW articles. You might be on to something here.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

Xrys T'Ala likes this.
  23. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    That's a shame I can't help wondering what Phasma thought when Brendol bombarded Parnassos.
    Made me wonder if she dumped Frey on Jakku for her own protection but it doesn't mesh with what Cardinal explained!
    Would be really interesting if Siv was wrong about Phasma being self absorbed and left her there because Phasma thought she was saving her life?
    After all why did her brother chase after them?
    That felt a mite insane given how attached he was to the Nautilus!
    If this is true why did she try to protect Finn?

24. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    As far as the movie, probably self-preservation.

If they found out FN-2187 had previous issues, then Phasma would have gotten in trouble for never reporting them.

25. Xrys T'Ala

Jan 13, 2016
    Sorry, I only just spotted the name similarity between Rey and Frey! 8-}I think it must be a co-incidence because, as you say, Cardinal said he taught Frey for 10 years until she transferred to Phasma and we know Rey was left on Jakku at a much younger age. The only way would be somehow if Phasma had got Frey out and substituted her with another child. But again that wouldn't tally with her turning up in FO training "pink from radiation" and having a scyre-like fighting style.

I also didn't come away from the novel feeling Phasma was an emotionless sociopath like some seem to have taken her behaviour to indicate. I think she does have feelings and believes that what she is doing is right and just, based on her values that came from her harsh upbringing. I feel the fact that her brother behaved as extremely as her - sacrificing the lives of the other Scyre members to try and get her - supports this. This is the kind of person that kind of environment produces. Even Siv could be merciless when required! The fact that at least twice in the novel, Phasma is shown to be crying shows she feels remorse. Sociopaths aren't like this at all.

Hopeless likes this.