main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Gwendoline Christie (Captain Phasma) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

1. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    cardinal said that phasma reported frey died in a training exercise. he didn't see what happened or he would have reported more. i think this means it's quite likely that frey had graduated cardinal's program and was now in phasma's program. probably frey still remembered her/recognized her and now with her more mature mind was able to put together for herself what had happened to her mother and people. in any case, phasma apparently determined that frey was a threat to her considering what frey knew and so she got rid of her. phasma trained the teens and young adults, which means that would be frey's age range. rey was left on jakku at age five. so i think it's like 99% unlikely that frey = rey.

another thing cardinal said was that some of the kids in *his* training program would disappear, their records completely wiped, and he never asked questions. most likely the FO just tossed them out an airlock or whatever was more efficient. the FO under brendol hux wasn't willing to go back to phasma's planet and help anyone it seemed even though a rescue mission or even a simple communication to someone else to let them know all these former con star mining corp employees descendants were trapped in radiation zones wouldn't have put them out of their way at all. they weren't going to help. (and i mean this regarding phasma's people in the event they hadn't come after phasma and attacked--so it's a hypothetical.) so i'm sure that it would be considered a waste of FO resources to take the rejects from the child trooper program to a habital planet when you could just throw them out the airlock instead.

*but* not everyone in the FO is a psycho. and it's possible that some people tasked with getting rid of kids did take them off ship and abandon them and *that* could have happened to rey if she was ever in the stormtrooper program. i personally never thought she was, but it's certainly possible. at one point in the phasma novel, when asked where he comes from, one of brendol's troopers replies he's from the FO. it's home to these kids and the FO are their people. so if rey can't remember but she is trying to get back to her family/people, that could very well be the FO. though i would think she'd have put that together herself which is why i think it's *highly* unlikely. in rey's hypothetical case she would have been ditched because she is too compassionate and possibly because she is FS (in which case someone was definitely trying to save her by abandoning her). this could actually make leaving her with unkar make sense because someone from the FO wouldn't have time--they need to get back before they are suspected of anything. the thing that wouldn't make sense is the ship that left her. it's not FO. maybe it was one they captured with their tractor beam, who knows.

anyway, i don't think this is the case but it's certainly possible.

Hopeless and ManWithoutAStar like this.
  2. Flex Madine

Flex Madine Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2015
    I read the "Vi embellishing only a few tiny parts" plot device as literary cover for the story group. They don't want to have to be backed into a corner with anything on the First Order or Hux and this gives them an out.

I find the Hux parentage interesting. Despite the red hair they always seem to leave a ton of wiggle room that Armitage is NOT Brendol's biological son. Armitage mentioning how he had been on one of those ships at that same age further fans the flames.

3. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    i kind of don't think vi would have embellished phasma shaking as she watched the 'absolution' fire on all the places she'd been on her planet. vi was trying to convince cardinal that phasma will betray anyone to survive and doesn't share his morals or ideals (which he assumes to be the morals/ideals of the FO when they are not--the main thing vi is trying to get him to see). she was trying to get him to see phasma is completely unlike him and indicating ways phasma has feeling would go against that agenda. so i think vi was being honest about what she saw on the hacked surveillance.

but i don't see phasma having occasional emotions as contradicting the larger narrative of who she is. and we don't even know what phasma was feeling. it could be relief that she got out of that place, for instance. i found it more telling that she blocked frey from watching as that seems like caring about the emotional impact it would have on frey. (though it could be she didn't want to deal with a crying child... lol)

also i think sociopath is a better "category" for phasma than psychopath so that applies to my previous posts now--it should say sociopath where it says psychopath.

One Quarter Portion likes this.
  4. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    If they do put her in a fight with Finn or anybody that's not one of the force powered in this movie, no way she will lose. I thought they might forget her, but putting this time with her, books and comics. She could be a real badass in this film.

5. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I have to disagree, I think she's being built up for someone like Finn to overcome one-on-one, an actually fight instead of what happened to Poor Boba fett.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    i think there's great potential for finn vs. phasma... i just wish (*whines*) this had been set up better in TFA. had i not read the phasma novel i would still be thinking that i don't see much challenge for finn with phasma. the most interesting aspects of finn vs. phasma i think come from outside materials like 'before the awakening.'

admittedly what i would be most interested in isn't a physical fight (though that could be part of the conflict) but an argument. finn and phasma have this link in that he was the best soldier in her class (perhaps the best she'd ever seen) and so he reminds her of herself as she considers herself the best. but their views are in almost complete opposition. but if finn starts out TLJ considering leaving the resistance again, there's nothing like a dose of phasma and her singular focus on her own survival above all else (at the cost of entire villages or planets) to make him realize how unlike this he is.

there's a battle of wills left from when phasma was training finn and what she was trying to turn him into, and it would be interesting to see that battle play out as it means finn can divorce with all the FO brainwashing/conditioning that phasma represents. defeating her is defeating that.

11-4D likes this.
  7. zam wesell2005

Oct 23, 2015
    I agree, for ix.

8. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    We had a rumor a while back that Finn would cut off her arm in TLJ, and things do seem to be moving in that direction. It's also worth noting that between her book and comic storylines, she's notably more monstrous than standard troopers.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  9. zam wesell2005

Oct 23, 2015
    If they're going to set up a plot line where those two go after each other, which they very possibly will. She's not going to get bested in this movie. In ix, I wouldn't think he would just cut her arm off either. Take her out completely.

10. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I don't know if Phasma is going to die in this movie, but it's not hard to see Finn defeating her in a fight and taking her arm. She was given a melee weapon almost specifically, it seems, for this upcoming fight in TLJ vs Finn. At the same time Finn's been seen using a riot baton, and it's been suggested he uses the executioners axe at some point. It'll be interesting to see if Finn uses the fact that she dropped the shields against her, possible make the other Troopers reluctant to help her when the pair duel.

11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, well. We'll see. I doubt that.

12. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Seems Rose is the one fighting Phasma:
    [​IMG]

13. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    It's been mentioned that Finn takes Phasma's arm in anger, depending on how Rose fight with Phasma goes, it might explain why he's upset.

14. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    11-4D you are joking, yes?

ZY-Fighter likes this.
  15. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    I don't know, it looks like she is fighting Brienne. :p

CairnsTony likes this.
  16. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    True, that doesn't look like Phasma's spear, and last I checked Rose doesn't use twin blades.

17. zam wesell2005

Oct 23, 2015
    I am thinking, maybe wrongly, Phasma makes it to ix. If that's the case, doubt she will be made to look weak in this film. If they kill her I could see Finn taking her. If not, Finn is in trouble if they go hand to hand.

18. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    so if finn beats phasma it's making phasma look weak?

19. zam wesell2005

Oct 23, 2015
    Yes, which they already made her look like a coward in vii.

20. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    why? i mean by this argument if phasma beats finn it's making finn look weak... characters can be strong warriors and actually lose sometimes you know?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    @Zam_Wesell2005

...did you read the Phasam books and comics? Phasma is ultimately out for herself....she doesn't give a **** about anyone else.

22. zam wesell2005

Oct 23, 2015
    Ok, then what do you do with her in ix? Beat her again?

23. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    that's fine since finn and phasma haven't exactly fought before on screen. she decided to cooperate and lower the shields and apparently allowed them to toss her down the garbage chute. i wouldn't be against phasma dying in VIII either as long as her character is used in a meaningful way.

24. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Each film is being written by the director in charge. There IS NO LONG TERM PLAN for ANYONE. They could kill Phasma off in TLJ, or bring her back as a cyborg for one last attempt at Finn and the resistance. It all depends on what the next writer/director wants to do.

11-4D likes this.
  25. zam wesell2005

Oct 23, 2015
    I wouldn't be against her dying either. Finn could take her arm, still think that will happen from a lightsaber fight though. Even if she is just out for herself, if their is some subplot that is about her vs Finn, it seems that from a story standpoint they would trade fights.