main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Gwendoline Christie (Captain Phasma) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

1. WookieeRage

WookieeRage Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2016
    No courage? not that we saw, she's also a villain, so I don't think it matter if she was courageous? ALSO, what was she supposed to do, her life is on the line and I don't think the FO is this great cohesive unit that everyone makes them out to be. Why should she care for anyone else, I doubt they would return the favor?

2. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    With the reveal of Kylo Ren's name in TFA, and now Hux's first name, I demand to know Phasma's name.

Hopefully it's Penelope.

Captain Penelope Phasma.

EHT and Darth Smurf like this.
  3. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    This. It continues to baffle me that some fans require all their villains to have courage. That's part of the deal with team evil. Lots of its members are cowards.

4. nonesuch

nonesuch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2015
    I was thinking - will Phasma even be part of the First Order in VIII? Thinking about it, I would expect her to be on the run from the FO just as much as Finn is. She is directly responsible for Starkiller Base's destruction, and caused immeasurable damage to the First Order's military resources, apparently for no reason beyond her own cowardice. If she went back to the FO, I see no reason why she wouldn't be tried and executed for treason. I would actually really like to see her as a renegade, her honour and pride lost. She would be hellbent on getting her revenge on Finn, the stormtrooper who orchestrated her fall. It would certainly be far more interesting than what we got from her in VII.

EHT, One Quarter Portion and 11-4D like this.
  5. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002

Yeah but who knows this?. The audience knows but Hux, Kylo and Co. don't know this.

What I think JJ and team tried to do was to emulate the character of Bobba Fett. He's a very minor character in ESB was not originally in ANH and died as a punk in the first chapter of ROTJ yet has a huge fanbase. So much so that GL decided to use him (or rather the original as Bobba turned out to be a clone), as the template for the Clones. And he was added to ANH.

6. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    I wish we had more backstory info on Phasma other than she's a hardened high-ranking shiny stormtrooper, I doubt she'll get much focus in Episode VIII since there are a multitude of more important characters to focus on.

7. nonesuch

Jun 18, 2015
    We don't know what they know about Phasma. There was a good period of time between the shields coming down and the actual destruction of the Base. Unless the First Order IT systems were incompetently designed (which is certainly possible, since we're talking movie logic), they should be able to identify Phasma as the person who brought the shields down.

8. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Does anyone know how long Gwendoline filmed scenes in Pinewood?

9. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    Well we've never seen a system being able to detect being "hacked" or "used illegally" by an astromech unit.

But ok it is possible they learned of it somehow. Yet, the movie didn't do some set-up to then get the payoff when Phasma is revealed again in later movies.

Then you will need some exposition to remind the movie goer that she actually was the one that brought the shields down. If they thought she was dead, then there was no tension. She would be easy to hide. Just take off the armor. As the FO already think she died in the SKB explosion/implosion.

10. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    I don't think we've seen anything related to Phasma over the course of filming Episode VIII but I could be wrong.

No cryptic behind-the-scenes blurry pics
    No social media related tweets/posts
    No real concrete rumors

:phasma:???????

11. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Yeah I know. But the only thing we've heard about Gleeson/Hux was when Mark Hamill tweeted that Domnhall had to wear heavy black robes to conceal his Hux outfit too. That is literally the only thing we've heard about Hux being in Epsiode VIII. (Not counting casting announcements)

12. nonesuch

Jun 18, 2015
    But the system wasn't hacked. Phasma had the legitimate access to the security system needed to bring the shields down, so you'd think that access would also entail some kind of history of actions undertaken by the user on the system.

Phasma would still be isolated and unable to return to the First Order if she survived, living in fear of being found out and executed as a traitor. I can see her arc (such as it is) being that she is intent on capturing Finn and taking him to the FO, in the hope that her betrayal will be forgiven and she will be restored to her former position. Something like that. I don't expect elaborate character development or substantial screentime, but I have a feeling she is going to be one of Finn's main adversaries, and that plot thread would have more weight if we were clued into Phasma's character more than TFA allowed for.

CakeThiefPro likes this.
  13. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    As nice as that concept is, it's accounting for logical writing. There's literally no reason the shield controls would be in a different sector from Hux and his bridge crew. The fact that it was, and there's no indication that the bridge crew even tried to turn the shields back on can be seen as 1 of 2 ways.

1. Lazy writing.
    2. The crew of SKB was so arrogant they thought they'd win even WITH the shields down, and didn't even bother to try and turn them on, this taking the blame off Phasma again anyways.

14. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016
    You'd imagine there'd be a significant inquest into what happened though. And one of the people mentioned above is, after all, a mind reader. Difficult to keep her role in SKB's fall from him...

15. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    There was a rumor that although Finn slices her arm off, she's later executed by someone else. Maybe Kylo kills her.

16. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    no one's going to care. if your a member of the fo lucky enough to survive they need you.

17. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    There was no inquiry after the small rebel alliance blowed up DS1 at Yavin. Nor was Vader in an inquiry or even chastised that we know by the Emperor for his failure.

18. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015
    The best and most badass way to go with Phasma would be to have her disgraced from the FO and have her go rogue trying to earn her way back in by capturing/killing Finn and Poe and she would essentially be a wild card for the rest of the movies. That would be so badass

Big Boss and temtam like this.
  19. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Does anyone know how long Gwendoline taped or which month she taped her scenes in?

20. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Wow, blast from the past there. I haven't heard someone use the verb "tape" rather than "film" since 1987.

Revanfan1 and cerealbox like this.
  21. temtam

temtam Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 27, 2016

I agree with Steve. She'd be everything Boba was supposed to be.

Knowing Rian Johnson, she'll have a great story arc. Hell, BB-8 will probably even have a great story arc. :)

22. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    he was, as shown in the comics.

23. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002

I meant within the films. For the average movie-goer.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  24. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Plus, it's pretty obvious that Finn is the one being blamed. As seen by the numerous times people call him traitor. All the blame will probably be on him.

25. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I guess Captain Phasma will just try and stay out of the same room as Kylo Ren.