main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Gwendoline Christie (Captain Phasma) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

1. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    Boba, in Empire is the one that tracked Solo down, for Vader. He was not just walking around and then folded soon as a gun was put on him.

2. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    I hope she has more screen time in this.

3. Silent Android

Silent Android Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2016
    1. Have her hold one of them riot control sticks.
    2. Have her spot Finn during one scene.
    3. Have her yell, "TRAITOR!" at him.
    4. Have her twirl that stick like a B.A.M.F.
    5. Watch teh Interwebz asplode.

QueenSabe7 likes this.
  4. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    She got trashed in TFA. Her role was garbage. What a complete waste. Her lack of a role was just rubbish.

Okay, that's enough.

fuhry, nightangel and my kind of scum like this.
  5. DarthHavok

DarthHavok Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    I disagree. The reports all say she was a last minute edition to the story and I think that shows, but I don't see that as a bad thing. I've said in other posts that now that we know Hux also survives that I would like to see Hux and Phasma swap screen time in VIII.

Sudooku and thechantman like this.
  6. zam wesell2005

Oct 23, 2015
    Hux was intense and had an interesting relationship with Kylo. Phasma, just looked interesting and gave up immediately. Not sure that would be the best thing for the movie,

7. thechantman

thechantman Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2016
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a Fett Fan and I'm not denying that he successfully led Vader to the elusive Solo BUT, that was all off screen.....we need to see more of the next series before we can fill in the blanks of Phasma's story. JJ A is a smart dude, I'm sure it's not going to be a wasted character opportunity. You can't expect them to pull out ALL the big guns in the first installment?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sudooku likes this.
  8. DarthHavok

Feb 27, 2002
    I didn't get the sense she gave up. You mean by shutting down the shields? I guess if they wanted her to be a one-trick pony she could've refused and they could've just blasted her.

9. zam wesell2005

Oct 23, 2015
    Soon as a gun was on her she gave up the shields and was dumped in the garbage. Hard to come back from that. Just disappointing really.

10. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    She'll be hunting down Poe and Finn big time, that will be her role/mission either for the First Order or on her own. I actually think it will what puts everything in motion and kicks off the film from the opening crawl.

thechantman likes this.
  11. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    Phasma faced a situation not unlike Finn, regarding the marketing of the character. Like Finn, i think that means her arc is just beginning. The only thing i can think of that would be interesting for her, is if she had a very small task force that moved quickly. Their objective was the elimination of THE TRAITOR. Yes, give her one of those stun clubs. Maybe her relentless tracking will put some fire and tension in Finn's (cross fingers) jedi training.

12. zam wesell2005

Oct 23, 2015
    Phasma was nothing like Finn. It was made out like she was Boba Fett, when she was a lot less. Finn, was a main character and actually important. I do think she will be going after the traitor though. Just after vii, I will be hard if not impossible to make her threatening.

13. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    It was the fans and commentators that instantly made that distinction with her and Boba Fett. Why ? Because she simply looked cool in the trailers. Boba Fett is one of the most overrated overhyped characters in the history of Star Wars.

Of course she can come back threatening in 8. She was outnumbered outgunned and probably overconfident in the resistance attack having zero chance of succeedind and she would be right, also she has motive and a lot of it.

Edit: do I think they could have handled it better ? Of course, all it needed was another minute of refusal to comply and Chewie attempting to pull her arms out of her sockets etc but I wouldn't say it kills all credibility entirely.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The whole trash compactor line was probably my least favorite part of the film. It was too much. That said I think Phasma will be fine if she comes back with a vengeance and gets to actually have a role in this film.

Sudooku likes this.
  15. ErikBridger

ErikBridger Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 3, 2014
    I would love a story about Kylo Ren visiting Naboo...and finding something there that he uses for Phasma.

With his fascination about his grandfather, i'm sure he would want to know more about his grandmother too.
    Him visiting Naboo, feeling the darkside there from Maul (just as leia did in the recent comics)
    What if he found that ship from Palpatine there...the one they used the metal for Phasma's armor? (source on that armor: official TFA visual dictionary)..

KitsterAKABobaFett likes this.
  16. DarthHavok

Feb 27, 2002
    I can see that, but I think we'll see her change our minds. I think the fact that we wanted more out of her just shows how cool of a character she can be.

Sudooku likes this.
  17. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    I personally think she may defect also late in EVIII and by doing so become a key figure in IX

18. chris1982

chris1982 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2015
    I hope she will stay a baddie through all movies and kick some butt in the upcoming films. I don't want her to defect or turn good. We need more awesome evil women in the SW universe (especially in the movies).

19. fuhry

fuhry Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2015
    I think she's going to capture Finn and torture him and do some serious damage to him.

Though the 'defect to the Resistance idea' is kind of fascinating.

20. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    Definitely hope we see much more of her with more to do in VIII. As others before have said, I could see her leading the search and destroy for Finn and(?) Poe. She's going to want revenge.

21. Silent Android

Silent Android Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2016

TRAITOR!!!!

QueenSabe7 and Skillzwalker like this.
  22. Spoon Tanam

Spoon Tanam Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2016
    Phasma definitely would have survived. She's a Captain that works in Starkiller Base; she'll know how to shut down the trash compactor or at least she'll have a comlink. And there was plenty of time to leave the base.That whole line felt like they threw over a character for a joke (Same as when Finn says he was in sanitation; come on.. )
    I hope she gets a larger role in the next movie and salvages some of her reputation. Someone that cool looking shouldn't go to waste..

23. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    yeah Phasma was the biggest let down of the movie.

If they bring her back she has to go on an absolute rampage and have at least a scene that Rival's TR-8Rs scene, If not just leave her Dead.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  24. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Wondering if anyone noticed the odd relationship that's going on with Phasma and Finn in the books and the movies. I don't mean like romantic, I mean that she's protecting him a lot of the time from the FO and even keeping him in charge of things, even when she sees that he has issues with how the FO acts.

Take a look: In the book Before the Awakening by Greg Rucka, there are a ton of scenes with Phasma and Finn and they all play out with this weird undertone to them. Like there's a reason for her to be so protective of him and make sure that he stays with the FO. It's odd.

First one happens on Page 12 of the book. Phasma defends Finn to Hux who notes that the team that Finn's in charge of completes the training exercise, Phasma notes they did so because of Finn's skills as a leader.

Page 13 and 14 She watches Finn and the others and sees him not being with the group and wonders what he's thinking. She tells Hux that she over sees the training from induction to deployment, and that the group that Finn is in is exemplary. She goes on to say Finn is the finest trooper she's ever seen. But she finds the fact that he's helped Slip a number of times too problematic in that he's too empathic to his team. She adds that while she likes cohesion in a unit, she doesn't think that the troopers should be loyal only to the FO and not to their team mates. (Community over Interpersonal relationships ie friends)

Page 19 and 20, Phasma tells the group that they did a good job, in her own way then has Finn stay behind. She goes on to ask him why he helped Slips and he says that the group is only as strong as it's weakest member, which she agrees with. However she wants Finn to stop helping slips as it's just making it so that Slips isn't improving, and because he's being allowed to mess up by Finn saving him, he's making Finn weaker for it. She goes on to tell Finn that she doesn't want him to be dragged down by the others.

She doesn't report what he says, nor does she indicate that she is going to.

Page 39 and 40. After watching a bout between the Troopers Phasma once again pulls Finn aside to question him as to why he was toying with Slips, who got injured in the fight. Finn says that he wasn't and Phasma realizes that Finn didn't want him to fight someone that wasn't sympathetic to his injury. Phasma goes on to tell him that real Storm Troopers are an exstenion of the First Order and of Snoke's Will and nothing less then that. She asks Finn if Snoke would have hesitated in his position to battle with Slips.

Page 51 to 55. Finn and his team are taken to a place where there are mines. Here Phasma calls the group in to deal with the miners negotiators. She orders them to kill the men. Finn can't shoot, Slips shoots for him, the others are hesitant as well and Slips fires first. What's interesting to note is that again Phasma doesn't report this, instead she watches Finn train and feels that he has lot of promise and that there's something special. She holds off in reporting him not firing and also decides to give him one more chance.

It's interesting to see the dynamic here. I'm not sure what to make of Phasma's reactions to all of this given other aspects about her. Why is Finn so special to her? What makes him different then the other troopers? Why does she let him off the hook time and time again with a warning and nothing more. It's baffling. There's a chance she could be his mom, but that doesn't quiet seem right. She could have known his mom or dad, but if that's the case when? She certainly seems to care enough to defend him to Hux, and purposely tells him how not to end up being pulled down by Slips. She's defenitly trying to teach him to be a leader, but what for? To take over her post if she dies? And Why is she so loyal to Snoke as well. Most of the FO is out for themselves, but she's in it for the FO.

In the Visual dictionary there's more painted of her:

-She's really a higher rank then Captain
    -She insists on seeing operations first hand
    -Refuses any luxury her post would normally give her
    -Disagrees with Hux on what makes a storm trooper
    -believes in courage and tenacity
    -Privately concedes to the short comings of the first set of storm troopers
    -Blames the imperial politicians and officers for lack of proper troopers and uneven training
    -believes in gender equality among her ranks, ie. she'll give the same training to men and women
    -does patrols to keep her senses sharp and to be on the same level as her men

Again she seems like she would make an excellent teacher or trainer for the Resistance or the Republic, but she's on the FO's side. Why? The fact that she thinks courage and tenacity out rank other aspects means that, at the very least she's seeing things in Finn that makes him unique to his post. And I'm pretty sure she saw that same fire in him when he had her caught. It almost sounds like she's a bit bitter when she's talking to him while shutting down the shields. Speaking of which.

The Movie also adds to this complex:

Phasma lies outright to Hux about the not shooting being Finn's first offense. This would have been his fourth or more issue, and yet she's covering it up. Again, why is he that important to her that she would lie about him not having questionable things cropping up. She puts her neck on the line to protect him from Hux and Kylo Ren. When Finn comes back later, she doesn't call him a traitor, AT ALL! Not once in the movie, unlike Kylo Ren, Hux, the other Troopers, who all call him traitor, she's the only one who still calls him by his call sign and never once says he's being a traitor. She says he won't get a way with it, but still puts down the shields. Yes she has a gun to her head, but it's strange that she knows how to over power Finn and Han. She's strong enough to do it, the only challenge would be Chewie and even then if she got the better shot in she could easily take him down given his age and him wanting to protect Finn and Han.

So why doesn't she do that? What is going on between her and Finn in that she's willing to betray her own teachings for him. Drop down shields that will get he in trouble with Hux, and also cover up for him by not reporting at least three incidents when he shows signs that the programming isn't working? Why is he so "Special" and "Promising" to her?

25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Confirmation that she's in Episode 8:

http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20979782_20983622,00.html

It’s good to have a confirmation. I really hope they do more with her character. I also hope she takes her helmet off. I would like to see some sort of rivalry form between her and Finn.

Algnosis likes this.