main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Gwendoline Christie (Captain Phasma) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

But wasnt' that part of the defunt Jedi Hunter rumor?

2. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

If she is using a lightsaber, the smart money would be on her being a Sith.

3. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    Why don't some of you know you don't have to be Sith or Jedi to use the ******* Force???

4. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    It's not clear at all from watching the movies.

5. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    It might not be clear from just the movies, but when we take other, canon media into account, we find that it's a big galaxy where plenty of other Force-sensitives and Force-wielders exist. TCW had the Nightsisters, the Dagoyan Masters of Bardotta, and even other higher Force-wielding entities like the Ones of Mortis and the Priestesses.

Not only that, but I feel Gwendoline Christie's character doesn't even have to be Force-sensitive to wield a ligthsaber or similar weapon. She could be a highly trained and skilled soldier, and still be quite proficient in swordfighting and close combat. Think Pre Vizsla of the Death Watch in TCW. In fact, from the rumors it would seem she could be an armored trooper wielding a lightsaber, not unlike Vizsla being an armored Mandalorian wielding the Darksaber. Despite not being Force-sensitive (that we are aware of), Vizsla acquitted himself nicely in single combat against a former Sith Lord in Darth Maul. Vizsla's possibly lightsaber-resistant armor (could be made of beskar) gave him the ability to enter combat with a Force-sensitive foe without fear for life and limb. I wouldn't be surprised if they took a page out of TCW's book and had Christie as a well-armored trooper (perhaps wearing lightsaber-resistant armor) able to hold her own against Jedi in lightsaber combat. Of course, like Vizsla, she would have other weapons at her disposal, presumably, allowing her to be proficient at both close and long range combat.

This actually goes back to a rumor that there would be Nightsisters and Mandalorians in the ST, and I theorized that Christie could be playing the leader of Mandalore. Even if her character is not Mandalorian, but instead Imperial, given what we may find out regarding the relationship between Mandalore and the Empire from Rebels, she might be wearing armor made of beskar taken from Mandalore, and thus would be able to hold her own against lightsaber-wielding enemies. I personally would love if she somehow got a hold of the Darksaber as well to distinguish her character further from the other lightsaber-wielders. Vizsla showed how cool a fully armored warrior looked wielding a uniquely designed lightsaber. To see Christie's character wearing full armor and wielding a lightsaber on the big screen? That would be hella awesome!

6. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I also think it is clear from the movies that non-Jedi and Sith use the Force. And use it for great feats.

Anakin Skywalker in TPM was not trained, yet he used the Force to win the pod race and to defeat the Trade Doofs.

Luke Skywalker was not a Jedi yet in ANH and he used the Force to destroy the Death Star.

Leia also used the Force to sense Luke in ESB.

So yes, logic implies that Force sensitives can and will use the Force with or without training or being part of Orders.

7. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    The Rebels trailer shows the Ezra kid, who is Force-sensitive and I presume who is without any training, perform a few unnatural feats. So we know that is established in canon.

Dra--- and Satipo like this.
  8. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    he is without training and he also doesn't even know what the force is it's all instinctual to him.

9. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014

Being raised by wolves and then growing up in the rough streets of Agrabah didn't hurt, either...

10. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014

Just because one person says it's not true doesn't mean it's debunked.

11. thisguyisnotajedi

thisguyisnotajedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2014
    And it wasn't part of the Jedi Hunter rumor

Jedi Older Code likes this.
  12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    they debunked the fact that were any "jedi hunters" but that was the only part debunked.

13. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013
    Wow, people really clinging to that armor part of the defunt rumor huh?

This is true (though LUke had recieved training by the end of ANH). But Anakin showing faster reflexs then normal, or Leia hearing Luke isn't the samething as "using" the force the way Jedi and Sith do.

Its kinda like saying anyone who can throw a punch knows SOME Karate.

14. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Eric had to row back on some of his debunking. The silver amour rumour also comes from several other rumours that didn't originate with the Jedi Hunter rumour.

15. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Again, in the Rebels trailer, Ezra, an untrained force-sensitive, is shown using the force multiple times. He is invited to join their crew so he could learn the ways of the Jedi.

Dra---, Satipo and darklordoftech like this.
  16. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Do we know for a fact WHEN he is using the force? Maybe he has recieved training at that point.

17. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    sorry you're wrong. the armor and saber rumors are independent of the jedi hunter rumors. also many people can use a saber and they don't have to be a sith. lastly ezra from rebels is a force sensitive and has never been trained.

most of what we've seen from ep 7 is heavily influenced by old mcquarrie art and rough draft stuff which includes stormtroopers using sabers.

Dra--- and darklordoftech like this.
  18. Summers1913

Summers1913 Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2014
    I don't like non-force users using lightsabers. I didn't like it in TCW. I didn't like it with Grevious. The point of a lightsaber is defensive as much as it is offensive. Blocking blaster, blocking force lightning etc. To a non-force user that would be pointless. Also in a fight against another lightsaber being wielded by a force user it would be pointless as well. I never liked the Obi-Wan vs Grevious battle. Why wouldn't Obi-Wan just use the force on him? That should have never been a fair fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sluggo1313. likes this.
  19. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    he did. there's nothing mystical about a saber. you press the button and it comes on. mcquarrie art shows stormies using them. so if they want to go that way it's fine.

Dra--- and Jedi Older Code like this.
  20. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    In the days of the Republic, the Jedi have been searching for force sensitive babies to recruit to their order. We know that force sensitivity can be inherited, but since the Jedi are celibate, force sensitivity must also happen as a random mutation that would also happen during the Dark Times and after ROTJ. We know from a TCW episode that Sidious has been trying to kidnap those children for his own uses. There is no reason to doubt that during his reign as Emperor he wouldn't have done so. In fact this could be one of the main purposes of the Inquisitor(s) and it might be explained in Rebels more thoroughly. I think it would be really cool if Sidious had a whole academy dedicated to creating dark side users for his purposes and that they have taken over the Empire after Palpatines death. I think it would be interesting if the commanding officers of the Empire were to be force users trained there, Elite stormtroopers that would use the force tactically, not through anger, like the Sith, nor only as defense, like the Jedi.

21. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    A thought about GC and JB
    (Xposted from the JB thread)

So JB is supposed to have a saber, GC is supposed to have a saber. They are both 'imperials'

I'm going to say one of Luke's first students went Merc and started teaching the Imps how to fight with a saber and so now there are Force Adept Saber Troopers. Luke didn't like that so he went away.

What do ya think?

Dra--- likes this.
  22. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    I think that would be a pretty interesting way to explain the rumor that Adam Driver is playing a Solo kid. :)

23. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    on that note Anakin was skilled at podracing without any training whatsoever which would be the first "canon moment" illustrating force abilitys. Ben/Yoda/Palps are the ones that say you must be trained. Training is necessary to be a jedi or sith as far as i know.

Dra--- and thejeditraitor like this.
  24. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    yes. you can use the force and not be a jedi or sith. the sith and jedi are trained in ways to use the force.

Dra--- likes this.
  25. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Also Anakin was the chosen one that helps a little.;)

thejeditraitor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.