main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Gwendoline Christie (Captain Phasma) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I just hope that there is more color in this movie than the drab brown we have been getting; not that I am complaining. I am grateful for the photos we have gotten, like these cool grass covered spaceship hangars, but I hope we see some larger population centers like Coruscant. It is looking more and more like EP VII is a remake of EP IV. Too early to tell though; maybe I am just getting too impatient. :p

dolphin likes this.
  2. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    This supposed to be a Rebel airfield and she's not wearing your usual fighter pilot outfit, may be she's not been to wardrobe yet and its run through. May be she's wearing that jacket over her actual costume and all you're seeing is the lower half of her actual outfit, and thats if its GC anyway. There's just too many possibilities to judge anything just yet. :cool:

3. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Yeah I know; it makes sense in a military environment. I am just worried about JJ going too minimalistic with the movie as a whole. :) I tend to worry too much. :p

Django Fett likes this.
  4. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

I doub't the popcorn trick is: masquerading as your own handmaiden.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  5. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    I have to say, I thought that was pretty clever. IMO, it was executed better in the novels (TPM, AotC) than the movies.

6. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    It`s either luck or skill. :)

Dak Oolron likes this.
  7. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    if it is her it may not be a rebel uniform, it reminds me of Dooku's outfit without the belt and cape. Which could tie into the aristocratic thing as she could be a Dooku descendant or from the same planet as Dooku.(Dooku would have worn typical Jedi robes up until he left the order, he then takes up his noble title after he leaves the Jedi and thus would were typical Serrano noble garb). The old EU only explored Dooku's background sparingly, one book, Yoda: Dark Rendevous, and it showed a little bit of his homeworld in the TCW. While the guy that may be Adam Driver definitely is in a Rebel/New Republic flight suit, maybe this is all from some type of battle like hoth but on a grassy plain, Christie leading imps and Driver as part of a rebel/new republic force fighting them in speeder or starfighters. If so we may get new Imperial Walker designs which would be awesome

8. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    [​IMG]

If the hood isn't part of the normal chrome trooper outfit, maybe it's actually for their leader? I could totally see that trooper taking her helmet off to reveal Gwendoline...

9. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    Didn't she reveal herself the EXACT same way in GoT?

Dak Oolron likes this.
  10. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Yes, it would be cool to see GC as a female Stormtrooper in Episode 7, especially since we saw no female troopers or Imperials in the OT or PT. I do think the chrome trooper design would be cool, but have no idea if this pic. is legitimate....in any case, a chrome trooper is a great idea. The new Stormtroopers should look different enough from previous films to be unique, but at the same time look similar enough to ST's to still be at least slightly familiar...

11. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

How do we know we didn't see any female troopers in the OT? ;)

12. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    True. However, if there were female troops in the OT, it wasn't obvious. Women have an obviously different build than men, so IMHO their armor would have to conform to their shape. That being said, there are some tough body-builder type women in the real world whose build may at times look similar to a guy's - so, I guess anything is possible...

13. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Even female body builders have a feminine shape.

14. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Men have different builds too but all storm-trooper armor shapes are identical (I think..?).

Of course the answer is because they're all Temeura Morrison lookalikes so we know none were female. However, if the stormtroopers recruited regular people by the time of the OT, they probably selected only those of a certain height/weight/build. I don't get the sense that the storm-trooper armor is malleable enough to accommodate different body types. I imagine Luke had alot of space inside when he donned his on.

Jedi Knight Fett and TheBBP like this.
  15. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

We also need to remember that we have only seen a tiny pocket of an Empire that spanned entire systems. What we have seen may not speak to the entire organization. I think that Rebels is going to do a good job of filling that out.

16. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Talking from experience, stormtrooper armor does not conform to the body in that way, unless you're going for the femtrooper. As a female trooper in the 501st, it's actually pretty funny to see people's reactions when they realize that I'm a girl under the bucket. Of course, it can get quite awkward as well, especially when you have random women coming over to you to flirt because they think you're a guy. Then you have to say something! :p

Getting back on topic, unless the bucket is off, it's very difficult to tell whether they are male or female under the armor. The height may give it away, but you can't even go by that sometimes (ex. Hamill and Christie).

17. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    "Aren't you a little TALL to be a Stormtrooper?"

18. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    ^^ Good post.

Also, watch IMPS. You see quite a few female stormtroopers in that, and they wear standard armor.

19. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Good to know - Thanks. I've been finding out a lot of Stormtrooper armor in this thread. Have no idea how it does or doesn't fit onto people other than what I see in the films; I've always wanted to get a Stormtrooper outfit authentic to the movies, but haven't investigated this too much since I'm sure it'll cost a lot of $....

Re: the height issue, I'm puzzled by Leia's, "Aren't you a little short to be a stormtrooper" line in ANH - i.e., if Luke fit into the armor perfectly (as he seemed to) & even though he was a little shorter than Han, didn't that just mean that the Stormtrooper he was took the armor from was also "short"?!

Re: GC, I can see how her height (6' 3") may lead you to believe she's a guy (only if she wears armor, of course!) - the thing is, if the rumors are correct & she's the Stormtrooper commander, then she will be very imposing & tower over most of the rest of the troops....

20. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    I think originally Stormtroopers were all supposed to be clones. Now, with Rebels, they're taking it in a different direction.

21. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Thanks - I knew about the Clones in the PT, but my impression from the Marvel EU (which isn't canon, I know) is that the Stormtroopers came from all over, and at least some of them were forcibly conscripted from the various planets the Empire took over.

That being said, Lflm. was ingenious in the OT by not showing us any Troopers' faces, so that we didn't know either way what they looked like; I think this was symbolic of their being members of a faceless, unrelenting army - i.e., they could have all been clones...

And, this is a good reminder that I need to see Rebels...

I know likes this.
  22. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    In terms of Luke, they actually had to shave quite a bit off of his armor to get him to fit it correctly. If you look at his chest piece, it's noticeably shorter and loses some of its form compared to Han's and the other troopers. They had to trim a bit off of the bottom so that it would sit right on his torso and didn't cover up the buttons on his ab piece. Another giveaway are his forearm pieces - he is swimming in those. Take a look next time you pop in ANH. But you are correct that the other trooper was most likely on the shorter side to allow him to fit into it. I've always heard that after the Clone Wars, the Empire started taking recruits, which would account for the height and voice differences we witness throughout the OT.

Speaking for Christie, I can certainly see them taking that route and having her towering over the others like you suggest. That would be quite a sight to see (and another reason I was kinda hoping they would keep the cloak on that image we've seen).

23. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

Makes me wonder if the first time we see her, she'll be covered up and voice disguised. And we won't see it's a woman until later in the movie. As the first female trooper we see, it would be a sort of reveal.

I know likes this.
  24. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    Gwendy will probably be revealed in her opening scene after she does something tough and badass while in disguise. I don't see them dragging her gender reveal for a good portion of the movie.

25. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014
    Maybe the chrome troopers have a separate leader who is not Gwen Christie. But she was said to have been seen practicing with a light saber, wasn't she?

The chrome trooper leader may be outdated concept art. Or it might just signify a costume change for Christie.

http://thecantina.starwars7news.com...ese-pics-about-to-pop-up.305/page-3#post-4536

http://makingstarwars.net/2014/10/s...me-stormtrooper-commander-weapon-information/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.