main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Haaaaaave you met Ted? How i met Your mother (Final Episodes)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Luke_Sparkewalker, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Age is the #1 risk factor for cancer, so yes, it's more unusual for a young person to get it.

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    But not impossible either. It's very rare, but I've known of a few cases where people of a relatively young age (i.e. < 50, even 40) have succumbed to cancer or even other auto-immune diseases.

3. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah my doctors tell me I've got about a 50% chance of developing colon cancer with my condition and I'm only 24. So it's not that out of place from my perspective.

4. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    A close friend of mine died of colon cancer when he was 29. It certainly can happen. Just odd that they glossed over it so quickly, though Ted's "audience", his kids, know what happened.

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    A girl in my class has a brother who had cancer when he was in the first grade. He got it again when he was a freshman. He survived it both times. Babies have been born with tumors in their brains, or somewhere else. My best friend growing up, his sister had thyroid cancer when she was eighteen. It's not rare, but it is not entirely impossible either. Yes, most often age plays a part. My step father was about forty six when he had his first bout and was forty nine when he died. My mother was the same way with her thyroid cancer. My brother was thirty four when he first became sick, but it was a year before he was diagnosed. He died at age thirty eight.

6. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    From what I can tell there was a lot of stuff cut from the episode. Hopefully the dvd will have a directors cut version that'll make everything feel more earned.

7. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

As perpetually tired as I am, I really don't want to hear that parenting gets harder [face_praying] :p

But, as I stated, the role goes from being less physically involved to being more of a guide--at least so it was with my parents and I. I'm not saying it gets "easier," just that the aforementioned icky "grunt work" is over. It's not like Ted's kids are going to wake Ted and Robin up in the middle of the night with bloodcurdling cries for a warm bottle or a diaper change.

8. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, that's another thing: they crammed what should've been four episodes into a one hour finale. Maybe they should've dispensed with a few of the useless filler episodes of this season and tighten things up for the endgame.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sure, sinister, it's more than the basic gist of how they met -- but it's supposed to be this incredible story with a purpose and a point. What purpose was that? Because the Robin thing, even by an in-universe standard, came out of left field. Ted said that his kids missed the point of the story, and THEY were the ones who brought up the Robin idea and they were the ones that coaxed him into it. So why was he telling the story, then, if it wasn't about how he met the mother at all, but how he pined for Robin during every relationship they'd been in?

As far as Robin changing throughout the course of the series, I could buy that if the story didn't repeatedly underscore how bad they were for each other, and if they hadn't dedicated so much time this season to the idea of Ted finally, finally, finally letting her go. Except then we realize just a few episodes later, whoops, no just ignore that development. Why? because the writers had an ending they'd wanted since 2005 and they couldn't be bothered to let the characters end up where they'd organically go, so narrative incoherence was the price they'd pay -- but they could cloak it as another gag, another clever one they'd pulled on the audience.

NYCitygurl and MercenaryAce like this.
  10. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I'm honestly thinking the creators thought they were going to get a larger length episode but were told at the last minute it'd only be 1 hour and and then frantically began trimming the episode.

I don't think the Robin ending came out of left field. The kids were right, if this story ultimately wasn't about Robin why was she ALWAYS the focus somehow. The kids called him out on it but he denied it because he still was having trouble admitting he wanted to move on, he needed to hear from them that they were on board with the idea.

And Ted and Robin were terrible for each other up until that final scene. That was the only point in the whole show where they were finally right for each other. Ted rightfully moved on from her and married Tracy. But once Tracy was gone and Robin and Ted both finally realized their lives were finally at places where they could be together... they finally did.

The development for these characters holds up. Years and years passed, that's more than enough time. Ted moved on from Robin for over a decade.
    All the development works organically in universe. It's only outside that it runs into trouble with how much was covered in one episode. You can how it happened, but you don't see it happened and everything happens so fast it doesn't feel earned, when in universe it was more than earned.

11. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    The finale was absolutely terrible. A complete betrayal of the last nine seasons, and everything I (and I suspect many others) had invested in it during that time.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  12. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I thought is was a bitter sweet, masterful 45 minutes.

If that's the way they wanted to go ( and finding out the ending they shot back in 2007 was THAT ending!) it was the most tasteful way to do it.

The show came full circle. In my mind, Tracy was the love of his life but (as in real life) you can love again - and robin at that point in time - was finally in the right place for ted.

If the show had of ended on a fairy tale ending, with everyone getting exactly what they/we wanted, it would have been very boring.

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
  14. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

This blog pretty much sums up my feelings. Yeah, if they wanted it to end with Robin and Ted together, then they could have done the entire season better. The entire affair was just clumsily written.

15. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Future Ted with sorely missed Bob Saget voice: "Moral of the story kids: don't invest to much on fan favorite, ongoing series. The ending is always bound to disappoint someone, somewhere. Especially the Internet. Always the Internet."

16. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    What a load of nonsense. This is a COMEDY show. Yes, there's longevity involved but to say the entire show is ruined in nonsensical. The entire premise of the show is how he met Tracy. The clue is in the title. And there is no question that he loved her and she was "the one". But you know what, life sucks. And sometimes people are taken from us. Yes, it would have been the easier choice to have a "happily ever after" finale, but life isn't always like that.

There's a whole new story to be told - that of Ted & Tracy - and from what we've been seen they are an amazing couple. We saw Ted's reaction when Tracy hinted that they may not be together that much longer. But the show isn't about them as a couple, it's about the journey taken to get to that. Tracy herself had a hard backstory. It's never been about her.

But "it's all soured"? Ridiculous. At the end of the day it's a sitcom and if it makes you laugh, then job done. Why the events of one episode makes the entire series unfunny escapes me. If you don't like the finale, then don't watch it again, or imagine your own finale. It doesn't change what has already been made.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know how many people still watch this show because it's "funny" -- it hasn't been a good comedy since the first 100 episodes, in my view. I still watch it because I'm invested in the characters, in the growth arc, and in the sentimental romantic sense that the show had the audacity to try and pull off. Things that they decided to toss out in the finale for the sake of a cheap twist.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  18. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    The whole point of the show has been leading up to THAT moment, which we got at the train station. Where he meets the mother - "the one". We got that, and we've also seen in flash-forwards that it was a wonderful relationship. I've seen people say that they wanted the finale to end at that point, leaving the viewers thinking that everything is great after then. But one of the core elements of the show is that life isn't great. Marshall's dad dying, Robin finding out she can't have children etc

The whole point of the show is leading up to the "present". The finale merely showed us what happened in the future. It doesn't detract at all from the relationship between Ted and Tracy. She was his true love, and she was tragically taken from him. As I said, the title gives it away. We were never going to see their relationship. In fact we got more of it than I though we ever would. Nothing was "tossed out". There's no hint of "Oh, Robin was his true love all the time". As you say, it's about growth. All the characters grew, and eventually Ted was ready to move on, a whole 6 years later, after losing "the one".

I guess it's an option that you could have put the train station scene at the end of the excellent previous episode and left it there. But the show has never been about leaving things unfinished (pineapple aside). Ted met the mother, had a wonderful relationship, which ended in tragic circumstances - as a lot of relationships do. But the finale did what the show has always done. It shows that life isn't perfect.

19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think the biggest problem with what you just said for many people is how much of it is inferred. Yes, you claim that the mother was Ted's true love. So did Ted, a few times throughout the course of the series. But there was really very little to support that, especially considering we saw her for a whole season. Even telling the story in retrospect, he could never be bothered to highlight ways in which she changed his actions or perspective. We just got a few gauzy "flash forwards." But most, if not all his major growth (such as it was) seemed to take place before he ever met the mother. Further, his denials about liking Robin are really the same sort of thing he was doing when he had a bunch of unrequited feelings for her in the previous decade of the show.

It's ultimately not good story-telling to be told that someone got over a long time crush only to behave in exactly the same way towards/about her and ultimately end up with her. Nor, as a corollary, does it really make sense to hear about how important someone was in a person's life, but never really see any evidence of that importance. I don't think it's unreasonable to find it problematic that someone who only watched the last few minutes of the entire series had as detailed an impression of the mother's affect on Ted as someone who watched every single episode in the entire series. It's a massive story-telling failure.

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    As noted, Ted had told them the shorter story years earlier. He was telling them the larger story because now that he's had time to reflect, he's realized how important his friends were. That's why the first scene was the night Robin met Marshall, Lily and Barney and Lily insisted that she be part of the group. That they needed each other and no matter what, they were family. When Ted needed them in 2024, they were there for him and in the years since. That's why he included all their stories, as well as his stories about the women in his life. Including Robin. That's why the main story, the group dynamic, ends with the wedding. They kept in touch afterwards. The group was reformed and whole again.

I watched it because it was a funny show, that had heart. Even after "Girls Vs Suits".

In "Wait For It!", Future Ted said that he went through a lot of stuff over the years that lead him to be the man that he was when he met Tracy. It wasn't supposed to be how she impacted him, but rather his experiences impacted him. His relationships with the main female characters outside of Lily and then the random, short term ones. When he went out with Robin, he blew it twice and made an ass out of himself. When he went out with Tracy, he acted more mature and rational.

But for a different reason this time. This time, he wanted his kids approval because children who lose a parent at a young age, have a harder time accepting someone new. Be it divorce, or death. In this case, he was trying to feel out his kids, because he didn't want them to disapprove. Especially after six years.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    But was he feeling them out, really? He could have been doing it intentionally but he flatly denied that was his intention and had to be talked into calling her.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    That besides, I can hardly think of something so disgusting as using the memory of your children's dead mother to pitch a romantic prospect. If he simply wanted to explain Robin's significance to them and end by getting their opinion on restarting a relationship, he could have. Instead he repeatedly described this as a deep, meaningful revelation about his first encounter with their mother. It wasn't.

Everton likes this.
  23. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Sometimes our subconscious mind betrays us, maybe it was the same with the character. And if you're telling a tale about the events of nearly a decade to, for example, your kids - remembering the persons on your life and how they affected you - your audience is going to notice the particular feelings each person evoked and will draw their own conclusions about what each person meant (or still means) to you.

darth-sinister: I'll say this, you have defended your client rather well. I'm not sure if you're using a wiki or have an astounding memory, but it seems a rewatch of the show and some of the episodes you've particularly mentioned seems to be required. Regardless of the creators intent though, we can all conclude that the execution in displaying the conclusion of the story was rather poor. This was definitely a season of missed opportunities and gods only know if the creators, producers, the network itself or everyone concerned were responsible for that. I'll admit I missed most of the beginning of this season but it'll eventually make its way to Netflix. Perhaps once the sour taste of this mess has been washed away I'll give it a rewatch and see if time paints things in a more favorable light. I will agree with you on this though: this show definitely had heart. It also had a certain brilliance I hadn't since in a sitcom before. I will definitely miss it.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It's a bit of both. Some I remember because they've been on recently. Others, I had to double check.

It seems to be more the creators than the network. From what I recall reading over the years, the network gave them fair leeway the longer it went. It kept have mostly steady numbers for each season and it met the goals CBS placed for them, to keep the show going. They made it to five seasons, the cast was signed for additional seasons and a syndication package was eventually given. As to the ending, sure, they could have done it differently. They didn't have to use the footage of Ted's kids arguing with him and instead, just have Ted narrate and have their previously filmed reactions and then fast forward eight years to everyone having Thanksgiving together and end it that way. But that wasn't what they felt was the best way to end it and regardless of what fans feel, it should be the creators vision and not the fans the dictate the ending. Take "Friends". Ross and Rachel weren't supposed to get together, since that wasn't how they wanted to end the show. But they had to be talked into it. While "Seinfeld" had the guts to do something completely different, yet fitting given who the four leads were.

25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I've just seen the alternate ending. It's a big improvement. Still, I wish it had also undone Robin and Barney's separation.

50% of the way there...