main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Haaaaaave you met Ted? How i met Your mother (Final Episodes)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Luke_Sparkewalker, Jan 28, 2014.

1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah I think that nails it.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002

I agree for the most part. What we know is

1. As of the latest episode, "present" Ted is still in love with Robin.

2. He (probably, due to some implications made by Saget and the flash-forwards) does something at the wedding.

3. He then meets the mother on the same day and not too long after-- certainly not anywhere near the amount of time he was in love with Robin-- falls in love with her, marries her, and has children with her.

Fine, he moves on. But there should have been a bit more space between him "getting over" Robin and meeting/falling in love with the mother. As it is, it makes the mother look like his consolation prize.

Also, maybe it's not saying much, but I thought "How Your Mother Met Me" was the best episode of the season so far. Although, more than her being a Manic Pixie Dream Girl (I agree that the ukulele and talking to her dead boyfriend fit the archetype), I would say her interests are too closely, weirdly aligned with Ted's.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why did they keep it going too long though, Jello? If they had ended earlier, how would things have been different? This season (and the Mother's reveal) have not been terrible because there were 2-3 unnecessary seasons inserted. They are terrible because the content is, in its own right, terrible. They locked a huge amount of awfulness into the ending by the way they decided to structure their story early on, and then just spent years trying to delay this moment. But it was always coming. There were no other endings.

4. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    CBS paid them boatloads of cash because HIMYM is one of those rare shows whose ratings have increased every season. And its viewership skews young.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It really works for any of them, when you get right down to it.

6. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    You shut up. Life is the best board game there is.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Okay, but let's say they ended at season 5 -- let's say the 100th episode was the 200th episode instead. We'd have 4 good seasons, and then an abrupt season where he suddenly falls in love with someone at the very last episode (see all the problems Even posted). It would be a huge disappointment, but at least the show was quality until then.

But as it stands, we have a show that has been pretty awful for some time, where the only motivation to watch was the whole Mother element: so on top of all the suckitude, they don't even ramp things up and return to old form in the last season, but drop the ball almost entirely.

8. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I dunno, I would have been pretty satisfied if it just stopped at some earlier season and he was like "Ah screw it kids, this story is too long"

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  9. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah honestly I would've preferred a whole season getting to see Ted fall in love with the mother. Not Ted still loves Robin, Ted immediately doesn't love Robin and loves mother, show ends. Would much rather see the relationship build to where it just seems more natural and earned.

But then again the whole show was about 'meeting' the mother. It was never about falling in love or building a relationship with her. Which I think was the biggest weakness of the show. Him meeting the mother would've been fine payoff for season 1. But after all these years... it's woefully inadequate payoff for the whole show.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  10. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Once again agreed. If they wanted to keep the show going, they should've figured out how to transition much earlier on into what would basically be a family sitcom about early married life for the two main couples on the show. Instead, they just sort of got caught in a vicious circle. The more they delayed a revelation about the Mother, the greater the expectation of a worthwhile payoff became. This in turn motivated even more delays to create something suitably grand. It was impossible to fix.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I agree with both of the above posts though, if we're going to break down the show on a conceptual level. That said, some people *coughcertainunnamedJCerscough* insisted that the show needed to end where they meet since that's the raison d'etre of the show. But it makes the whole thing shallow and silly. They're trying to make up for it by showing us some significant life moments -- all implausibly at that stupid hotel -- and it's not working.

GenAntilles likes this.
  12. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I agree, once Ted meets the mother it would be hard for the show to continue when it's called How I Met Your Mother when he's already met the mother.

The only solution would be to not have used that as the title or just use a new title every season. Season 1- How I Met Your Mother, Season 2- How I Dated Your Mother, Season 3 How I Married Your Mother. You get to keep the future story telling aspect and give the viewers the payoff they want and not drag the Ted-Robin story out for all this time only to drop it instantly at the very end.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Season 4 "How I... you know what kids, nevermind."

Darth_Invidious and GenAntilles like this.
  14. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I've watched the show intermittently and not from the beginning so perhaps it's skewed my enjoyment of it, but I've liked this season. HIMYM has never really been about the mother or Ted for me, even though that's the main draw of the show. Instead it's been about the development of the other characters and their interactions which is probably why I've liked this season quite a bit.

15. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    The worst part is they've had plenty of opportunity for this. Ted has "gotten over" Robin half a dozen times already, and each time they've hinted that the mother is just around the corner. Then a new season starts and Ted confesses to Robin again.

As to the mother, she's not so much a character as she is a list of things Ted thinks are awesome.

16. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

Chess would disagree with you. And Monopoly too.

I've started following the penultimate season on Netflix and have more or less followed random episodes or reviews thereof of the latest. Truth be told, I liked most of the series but at this point, I just want it to be over and done with. Things have been stretched thin past the breaking point already.

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I have NOT watched one full episode of this show in the past 9 years. With that said, even though they supposedly cast the "mother" character and made a huge deal about it, could the show do the old bait and switch and Robin is really the mother?

18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
  19. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Question from someone who has never watched more than two minutes of this: if the show is titled "How I Met Your Mother", and the protagonist only met said mother in the 9th season, WTF was the point of the first 8 seasons? Shouldn't they re-title it "How I acted like a drunken doofus and pined after a woman who couldn't possibly be your mother because she's barren"?

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah it's a little disturbing that the mother is just this idyllic fantasy of things Ted likes. She's got no agency or personality of her own, no story of her own, and her importance only as an appendage of Ted is highlighted by the fact that they still haven't bothered to give her a name.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

21. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    if you'd seen any of independent films josh radnor's written/directed you'd be unsurprised. its some of the most self-absorbed transparent schlock ive ever seen

22. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment that this season is awful. It could have been better if, instead of spending several episodes showing Marshall in a Hummer with a stranger he didn't quite trust, they had just starred the mother and delineated her life leading up to that silly lighthouse hotel.

Here's a blog from npr.org that I pretty much agree with:

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It kind of rubs me the wrong way that, while Ted was hitting on/dating/sleeping with a bunch of women-- easily in the double digits-- the mother slept with only one guy, and was not having sex at all most of the time. There's nothing wrong with it on its face if she were a real person, but I get the feeling that her sex life didn't parallel Ted's partly because they were afraid of making her look *****y.

24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I blame society.

25. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    That NPR article needed a heck of alot of words to make the same point I did.