main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Haaaaaave you met Ted? How i met Your mother (Final Episodes)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Luke_Sparkewalker, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Well, Even, I think part of this goes back to the disgust Rogue Number Ten referenced earlier. This came up in discussion a few years ago, but even the "average" characters (Ted & Robin) on the show are on pace to have Magic Johnson/Kareem Abdul Jabar levels of sexual partners.It's quite a disturbing look at what they're trying to present as normalcy.

2. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Isn't that just the norm for sitcoms though? I mean nearly every episode of Seinfeld had the same 'Jerry or George have new girlfriend' storyline.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It was the norm for mutli-camera sitcoms about groups of friends, not so much with the current crop of single-camera stuff. Speaking of Friends, I remember that someone tallied the number of sexual partners all of them had (including probables) during the show's run, and each had 10+ which is above average for a lifetime. I think it's mostly that the writers lack the awareness to bother to keep track. We can say that most of the "Friends" and the characters of Seinfeld weren't like Ted, a self-professed "romantic" searching for "the one" who regularly engages in serious relationships despite considering his partners second-best (at least subconsciously) compared to the woman he loves for 9 years. Douche.

4. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I'm not really familiar with this new sort of sitcom. My primary point of reference have been those centered on family life, in the vein of The Cosby Show, The Fresh Prince, and Family Matters. Probably because of the very different stage of life they depicted, this sort of issue was much rarer. Still though, I have to say this doesn't make sense. You can go on a date a few times without sleeping with someone, and I think the statistics more or less bear out that this is in fact what happens for most people. Strange that sitcoms would just preclude that possibility.

5. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Um. I'm not the most promiscuous person around but I've lived in quite a number of places and interacted with a large variety of people...and I think most people DO have sexual encounters very frequently. Like, people in the real world not on this forum. Sitcoms aren't exaggerating an *extreme* amount.

6. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
  7. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Ess Ell Gee, I don't mean to say it doesn't happen. But per the CDC, the median number of lifetime sexual partners for a women is only 3.2. Only 6% of men have had sex with 3 or more women in a single year. Ted can break into that category in under a season's worth of episodes (which itself doesn't typically cover a whole years worth of events). Yet I don't think it's at all the show's intention to portray Ted as an outlier in terms of his sexual partners, with his activity sitting decidedly on the upper tail of the distribution.

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Fixed.

9. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

i think you and i just hang out with pretty people like us, slg. the rest of the jcc are uggoes like most people so they only have uggo levels of sex

for the record the amount of sex people have was not even one of the things that bothers me about the show. the WAY they approach relationships, including friendships, and the way they conduct themselves and most importantly the way i can pinpoint the moment when hip yuppies like my friends and i are supposed to say "omg thats just like US hahahaha" 20 times per episode.... that's what disgusts me and makes me feel shallow

10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    We've all seen your photos. Don't lie!

11. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    wait what no i...

oh for a second there i thought you were talking about the photos of me with your mom. phew...

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
  13. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    A lot of this show amounts to Ted telling his kids how much he hooked up with their Aunt Robin and a bunch of other ladies. And also that one time with two ladies at once.

14. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    good. motivate the little ****s

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    They did have the self-awareness to acknowledge that in the season 9 promo.

16. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    The Barney/Bob Barker episode is the best.

17. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Just started watching season 3. I have to say, I like Robin so much better with wavy hair. She's like a whole new character. OTOH, when the hell is Lily going to go back to her season 1 shade of red?

18. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Season 1 episode 6: Slutty Pumpkin.

Ted spends his Halloween waiting for the "slutty pumpkin" (which has strategically carved holes) that he met in 2001. Ted really likes this girl, but he lost her phone number when Lily gave away the Kit Kat that he had written the girl's phone number on. All he knows about this girl is she has studied penguins and enjoys making a drink that combines KahlĂșa and Root beer which she likes to call "The Tootsie Roll". Every year he waits at the same party, dressed in the same old costume, a hanging chad, hoping the "slutty pumpkin" will be there.
    Barney (Neil Patrick Harris) wants him to come to a Victoria's Secret party on a yacht, but Ted stays at the party, even though the "slutty pumpkin" doesn't show up. (He thought she did at one point, but it was Barney, who was already in his third costume of the night, intentionally trying to fool him by dressing as a penguin and making "the Tootsie Roll".) Ted finally gives up and goes to the roof to think. Robin, knowing he'd be up there, comes up to the roof, and sits and talks with him for a while.

Some funny parts:
    • Marshall is dressed as Captain Jack Sparrow.
    • Marshall references Return of the Jedi when he says "The rebellion would have failed without Ewoks".
    • Barney's first costume (of three that night) is that of a fighter pilot, with references to the film Top Gun. When he shows up at Ted's apartment, he has a boombox playing "Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins. Barney wants Ted to be his wingman and tells him to "flightsuit up," but Ted refuses, at which point Barney quotes the film, saying, "Oh, you're dangerous, Maverick. Your ego's writing checks your body can't cash."

Another step forward in the progression of teds love life, even though he would eventually meet the SP (Katie holmes in a so-so episode) one has to laugh at teds running after the boy with the kit-kat ("Where's the KIT-KAT!!) and Barney's line 'I'm also a Horny Devil - Yeah". Another great season 1 episode.

19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  20. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    These are quite abbreviated and normal for a Rogue1.5 review. I think it's more likely Zaz finally found his way here.

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    When you say mine aren't normal, is that a compliment? Wait, don't answer that.

22. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    i'm sure these forum people that you mention are the ones that pull down the numbers they're referring to. it wouldn't be 3,2 if they only counted people in the real world

23. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    yeah did they conduct their sex survey on a star wars message board, by any chance?

24. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    then it'd be 0,2

25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I didn't expect to have a debate about this. But it's the median, not the mean. Outliers such as 0's and 1's and 20's and 1,000's don't affect the average nearly as much. Plus, keep in mind that the CDC is only talking about the United States.

Er, I mean, lol "virgins" don't know what they're talking about.

And to think this started with me complaining that the mother wasn't sleeping with anyone.