main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Haaaaaave you met Ted? How i met Your mother (Final Episodes)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Luke_Sparkewalker, Jan 28, 2014.

1. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    You mean it's not a historical documentary told by a time traveler from the future?

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Except I guess it wasn't poorly executed. The whole focus on a Robin to the complete sidelining of Tracy was intentional. It wasn't that they were just using a side plot for no reason -- Robin was the main plot the whole time, it's just that we weren't in on it. So instead we labor through what feels like a terrible season hoping for some development of Ted/Tracy, but we barely get any and that's in purpose so that they can throw us for a loop with this stupid gag.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I maintain that it was poorly executed, regardless as to whether or not that last plot point was intentional. The last act felt completely out of place, pacing felt wrong, and stubborn adherence to the old footage of the kids put a glaring divide between the last act and the rest of the entire finale. Imo, they could have tied the whole Robin thing together at the end a lot more smoother than they did. But as it aired, it looked like the writers were like, "Hurry--we're almost out of air time! Let's wrap this thing up and order pizza!" It just looked really clumsy.

And the absence of Bob Sagat is awful, as I really enjoyed his narration for the past several years. Anyone know why he wasn't there?

Also, to quote Jello, Yellow Umbrella > Blue French Horn.

That whole scene with Ted and Tracy with the umbrella encompassed exactly what we fans wanted out of this entire season. The writers have been playing with that umbrella for years, and then it was abruptly/clumsily sidelined by that stupid/overdone French horn. If the show had ended with Ted's narration about Tracy's death, I think it would have been a much better finale. They had executed everything so wonderfully up until the end of the episode that, while it would have been a sad conclusion, it may still have been touching. Instead, we got, "Hey kids, Mom's dead and, as you've heard, I've been in love with Robin since way before you were born, so..."

I do, however, agree that Ted and Robin might work out at this point in their lives, as neither of them have to sacrifice more than they're willing to now. As for Ted's seven year engagement to Tracy, I don't see it as being a problem that, as Marshall put it, they were living in sin. Ted spent the series looking for true love, not necessarily a wife. And their reasoning for the delayed marriage was very realistic. In my own experience, work and kids can in fact lead to extended engagements and overdue weddings. What Ted and Tracy had going on is pretty much how my wife and I were for the longest time, so we at least were able to relate to/appreciate that little bit of the finale.

4. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005

You do know what a calendar is, right? :p

halibut likes this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I loved the umbrella scene. The only positive thing I have to say about the season at all is that I loved all the scenes with Tracy, and that Ted/Tracy scenes were all really sweet.

Then they had to toss it all away :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Would the ending have worked better if the show hadn't spent the whole final season showing the wedding of a couple that divorced a few years later?

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  7. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Now those people that couldn't sympathize know what it felt to go through the end of ME3. :p

8. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    If they had made a whole season out of the ending I think it might have gone over better. Barney and Robin had a successful marriage for 3 years, their wedding wasn't pointless. Ted waited six years to ask his kids if he could date aunt Robin again. It make sense and is earned by the show's timeline, but for the audience everything happened too fast.

But apparently a lot was cut. I know Alyson sad on twitter they cut a scene where she pays Marshall the money for their bet once Ted and Robin get together at the end and another scene explaining the pineapple was cut. And there were stills I saw online of Ted and Robin older at a restaurant so that scene must've been cut as well. Maybe they dvd will have a 3 hour directors cut.

9. yankee8255

May 31, 2005

No, the marriage only lasted three years. It's not successful that whole time and then "Poof" they wake up one morning and decide to call the whole thing off.

Oddly, it seems to me that, given the title and that they don't even introduce the Mother until the final season, this ending makes the most sense.

10. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    No, but they called it off only when it wasn't working anymore. They had made it work up until then but eventually their different dreams for life finally were too much. Robin was never going to work out with anyone since she was always going to put her career and dreams of traveling first, Barney needed a realization like having a daughter to finally make him change. But somehow they still were happy for most of their marriage, they weren't miserable the entire time and at least were smart enough to accept where they were at life and let it end when it did.

11. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    A marriage that ended in divorce can be considered a "successful" one. Live and learn.

EDIT: Regardless, I found this (very negative) review quite interesting.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  12. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, ninja'd. As far as I know, a "successful" marriage goes through the whole "'till death do you part" thingie.

13. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    But if they stayed together 'till death do you part' it wouldn't be successful as they would've grown to hate each other. All the good times they had would've been poisoned by that. They did the right thing by ending it before that happened and showed a lot more love and maturity than if they had both just lived in denial acted like it was going to work out.

14. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000

Did you forget something?

15. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Barney and Robin claimed it was "successful" until that point.

GenAntilles likes this.
  16. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Now that I've had a bit more time to think on it, I hate this finale even more. And it's not because Tracy died and Ted went back after Robin (again). I could actually live with the decision to make the story all about the Ted and Robin love story*. What upsets me is the misappropriation of the storytelling time and the absolute disdain with which they treated the characters in the end to get there, both of which are related to each other.

We spend the entire season focused on a wedding that didn't matter. We spent 15 mins (?) on the length and breadth of Ted's meeting, courtship and marriage to Tracy. By the time this final episode starts, Ted has gone through a lot of personal growth (ostensibly) and is a wiser, better man than he was when he fell in love with Robin at first sight in a bar. He's learned that relationships aren't just about "love" as a feeling, but about having common goals and working together to build each other up. He and Robin have had the honest conversation (several times) about why they can't work (admittedly, I never really understood Ted's attraction to her (other than the fact that she's gorgeous) given the kind of woman he seemed to be searching for, but whatever). But by the end of the episode, all that is completely thrown out the window--without an iota of explanation! It's meet the mom, date her, kill her off, divorce Barney--wait! all obstacles removed? No! We need an appropriate amount of time!--, wait six years and now we can go back and redo it all.

Three episodes. They could have done this all over three episodes. They could have cut out a lot of the wedding nonsense and spent an episode focused on meeting Tracy, falling in love, etc. Then another episode on Barney and Robin breaking up--seriously, that should have been a bigger deal given that they spent two seasons on it. And finally, an episode where the mother dies and we see Robin actually behaving in a loving way towards Ted--being a genuine friend to him--which might actually cause him to revisit the question of their relationship.

After dragging out this story for so long, it strikes me as patently ridiculous that they'd rush the finale so much and destroy so much of the growth of the characters on the show.

*On the Ted/Robin love story. It bugs me more than anything else. If this was a Rom-Com kinda movie, I'd almost be able to stomach it. But this show struck me as something much more mature than that. Maybe that's the heart of why I hate this finale so much.

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    That doesn't mean anything, Ezio. It's not like there was some new element of strain introduced into the relationship that made it collapse. It was one of the central tensions known from even before they started dating. That means they never actually resolved anything to be together, and that the relationship was permanently unstable since it's outset. That's a failure, regardless of whether they "enjoyed themselves" or not.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm hating it more the more I think about it too. It occurs to me how mean, petty, and awful this show actually is. This show that gave us a look into a loving group of friends and a very tender courtship, a show with a deep emotional core in a superficial world... actually wasn't that at all.

So Tracy's been dead the whole time? Then why did those kids open up the story with "are we being punished?" We thought it was kids being foisted a dorky love story by their parents (understandable) but instead the kids are being offered the chance to learn more about the woman who gave birth to then, who raised them in their early years... and the kids just don't give a ****.

Ted, who broke off a stable relationship with Victoria and innumerable others on account of his unhealthy infatuation with Robin ends up with her again... And he tells us this story with the brief mention of the woman he used in order to have kids because Robin couldn't.

And the kids, after being told the whole story, continue to be jerks about their mother.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

19. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    If Tracy hadn't have died Ted would still be with her and he wouldn't even dream of being with Robin. But Tracy did die and Ted waited 6 years before even asking the kids if he could move on. And if they kids after 6 years of seeing their father alone wouldn't be okay with him dating again... they are being kind of selfish. Tracy wanted Ted to be able to move on if anything happened to her and he did after 6 years. And from what the kids said at the end it seems like Robin became a big part of their life after the mother died.

Ted didn't marry Tracy just to have kids and get rid of her so he could finally be with Robin. He loved her and had the life he always wanted. But he also learned the lesson he's been learning since the first episode, you may not go through life with just 'the one' and that's not a bad thing. I mean Ted was with Tracy longer than the 9 seasons of the show, they had a good life, but I doubt Tracy would be okay with the idea of him just staying alone and mourning her when he had the chance to be happy again.

20. Darth Rayder

Darth Rayder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 1999
    You're not. My first reaction, like a lot of people, was "What the %$&* did I just watch?" but after stewing on it for a bit, I think that overall this ending was pretty true to the show's message: essentially, people grow and change and their goals and desires change along with them. Lily spent the whole first half of the series wanting to use her art degree, but only did so for a brief time in Italy, before finding a more fulfilling role as a mom. Ted got to get married and have kids just like he wanted, but that part of his life ended and now he finds a fulfilling role with Robin in the end.

There's also an underlying message about the timing of the big events in our lives. At various points in the series, Robin wasn't right for Ted, or vice versa. The last season showed us that, had Ted met Tracy at any point other than when he did, they wouldn't have worked out. Ted and Tracy got together at the ONLY point in their lives where they were both a good match for each other, and the same can be said for Robin and Ted. Throughout the series they were wrong for each other, but at THAT MOMENT, six years after Tracy's death, it was the right time for them.

Ezio Skywalker and GenAntilles like this.
  21. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Souderwan: you talk about obstacles being removed so that Ted and Robin can end up together. Except that the bigget obstacle is still there: they want completely different things out of life. That's why zhey broke up in the past, and it apparently hasn't changed. Heck, Robin's marriage to Barney broke up for that reason. How on earth could Ted and Robin work? Seems like a double downer ending for Ted: first his wife dies, then he finally gets together with his supposed true love only for that relationship to fall apart.

Edit: sorry, forgot this link before
    http://m.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watc...ur-mother-last-forever-how-they-conned-us-all

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Those kids are still teenagers. What sort of lunatic or sociopath stops parenting then? That's called child abandonment and is fortunately a crime.

yankee8255 likes this.
  23. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    The obstacles that prevented Ted and Robin are no longer there. Ted has kids like he wanted, Robin had the career and life traveling like she wanted. For Ted and Robin to work one had to give up their dreams, now they both had their dreams. For the first time in their lives they are finally ready for each other, there's no obstacles left for them.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I'm glad Ted spent so much time telling his kids that the obstacle that gave them life is finally out of the way...

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

yankee8255 and Darth_Invidious like this.
  25. Darth Rayder

Darth Rayder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 1999
    He doesn't stop parenting them. And, while Robin had previously said she didn't want to be a parent, previous episodes had shown that she spent plenty of time with Ted's kids, taking them to the zoo, etc. so she wouldn't have a problem in the stepmom role. And the kids explicitly said "We love Aunt Robin!"

GenAntilles and Ezio Skywalker like this.