[Hacking] - Shop at Target?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by LAJ_FETT, Dec 19, 2013.

Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
  1. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    CNN Money

If you used a debit or credit card at Target in the three weeks following Thanksgiving you might want to read the above article on CNN. Up to 40 million credit/debit cards might be affected by a data security breach. If you're in any doubt check the CNN article here for steps to take.
  2. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    I was at Target today (two actually) and this bad PR definitely didn't keep anyone away, as they were jammed. People give me grief for still paying with cash, but this sort of thing is the reason why.
  3. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    CNN Money

Looks like this just isn't Target's year. Now people who received gift cards are having trouble using them because they weren't activated properly. Not all of them. If you have an issue see the article for info on getting it fixed.
  4. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    Oh, brother. I got my Sister in law's Mother and and the exchange student staying with my Brother and Sister in law Target gift cards this year. I haven't heard anything yet, but knowing my luck they'll run into this when they go to spend them. Thanks for the heads up, LAJ!
  5. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Hopefully they won't have a problem. The article did say it's just a minority of the cards, not all of them. However if they do have issues the fix sounds pretty simple.
  6. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    CNN Update

Target are now saying 70 million customers might have been hacked during between Nov 27 and Dec 15. This is in addition to the original report of 40 million (though there might be duplicates in both groups). They will be contacting customers whose email addresses they have. In addition,

Customers will have zero liability for the cost of any fraudulent charges arising from the breach. Target is also offering one year of free credit monitoring and identity theft protection to all customers who shopped in U.S. stores. They will have three months to enroll in the program. More information on that offer will be available next week.
    Last edited by LAJ_FETT, Jan 10, 2014
  7. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    :oops: Holy cow. Looks like Target is trying to stay out ahead of this, but this is definitely a bad PR hit given the size of the breech and the time of year it occured.
  8. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    CNN Money

So the saga trundles on. No new attacks, but scammers are getting in on the act with phishing emails. If you get (or have gotten) an email from Target beware of fakes. The CNN article has a link to the real email so you can check if yours was a fake, and what to do if you responded to a fake. If you get an email and haven't opened it yet, there is a link to view the letter on Target's website. So you don't have to open a suspicious email.
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT