main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Had Anakin not turned to the Dark Side...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Sith_Smuggler, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Sith_Smuggler

Sith_Smuggler Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2016
    ...do you think he would have made a good father and family man?

2. Darth Maul is awesome

Darth Maul is awesome Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 1, 2014
    I don't know what've happend but the oringinal trilogy sure would be different

3. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    I don't think he had matured enough to be a father at that point. He was only in his early twenties and still had problems controlling his emotions at times.

4. Xenor

Xenor Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2014
    I think their relationship could have only worked if Anakin left the Jedi Order.

5. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Are we counting TCW or the novelizations in this discussion? Because just based off the prequels, I would say it's up in the air. If you count the other media, I would say absolutely not.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Anakin character. He's compelling, complex, and easy on the eyes. But he's also not a character made to do mundane things. He doesn't have typical relationships: it's really all or nothing. While married, he doesn't have that much of a relationship with Padme. They don't see each other for months on end, and when they do, they're sneaking around. All very dramatic, but where's the love that comes from just being together and really knowing each other? The kind of love that gets in a fight one minute about where the tupperware goes and then laughs at itself the next? Could you see them joking about morning breath? No, because that's not the relationship, and it's not what the characters are built for.

In TCW and the novelizations, he's also filled out to be a man that's far more obsessive than loving much of the time. He freaks out and beats a man for hitting on his wife. He's jealous as all get out in the ROTS novel and jumps to ridiculous conclusions at the drop of a hat. What the hell does he do then when one of the kids gets colic and just won't stop crying? What happens when he thinks Padme loves the kids more than him? If it could have been fleshed out more that they had fun, playful moments, I'd probably feel differently. But even in six seasons of The Clone Wars, they didn't really.

QueenSabe7 and Spoon Tanam like this.
  6. Warren Moonwalker

Warren Moonwalker Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    he'd be like one of the celebrity fathers for sure. hero of the clone wars, jedi knight, husband of a senator.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The TCW tie-in novels (Wild Space, No Prisoners, etc) did manage to show those.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  8. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    I certainly think it is possible (in a theoretical sense anyway), I mean if he would have learned to let go of his attachments, things could have worked out for him and Padme, but alas it was not meant to be.

9. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Thanks for the recommendation! I'm reading Shatterpoint now, but will check those out.

10. Spoon Tanam

Spoon Tanam Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2016
    I think Obi-Wan was the wrong teacher for Anakin. For Obi-Wan, following orders, forgoing attachments- all this seems to come relatively easily. Anytime Obi-Wan reprimands Anakin, he gives the "correct" reply but the lesson doesn't seem to sink in. Qui-Gon or even Mace Windu would've possibly gotten to him better. Qui-Gon seemed to be marching to his own tune for most of the way. Obi-Wan was constantly chiding him for getting into trouble with the council. Even when he was in conflict with the council, Qi-Gon doesn't seem to take it personally and was able to understand the council's POV.
    Mace Windu's Vaapad style of fighting was supposedly a way to help him channel his inner darkness. Someone who has darkness in him and can live with that without giving into it, and without it controling his life would have IMO been a better teacher for someone as volatile as Anakin.
    I think there would have been a chance for him not to turn if he was taught how to deal with the weaknesses he had instead of him pretending he didn't have any..

jaex likes this.
  11. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    No, I think that by the end of the Clone Wars, there was just far too much anger in him. He would have been a poor father, perhaps even an abusive one.

12. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    It makes me sad some of post here...Anyway, not counting Anakin's characterization in TCW for being too OFC for my taste, I believe that Anakin would have been a wonderful father and the kids would have helped him mature even more...more than that - he wanted to be a father as much as Padmè wanted wanted to be a mother. Salvatore did a fantastic job in delving in the evident comfort that Anakin feels in the deleted scenes with his future in-laws; even the first dream he has about Shmi where he sees the Lar's before it turns violent and thinking something along the lines of "this was how it was supposed to be." He has a strong sense loyalty and protectiveness towards he considers family which would make him the most possessive and protective dad ever which would cause problems to a certain degree, but other than that I have no doubt he would have been great. At the very least Anakin wanted to a daddy only to give Padmè what she wanted, highly doubt it though.

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  13. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    The end of this HISHE sums it up perfectly :D

14. Antpocalypse

Antpocalypse Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2016
  15. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    While Anakin's ferocious jealousy is worrisome, it is a consequence of his possessive side, i e his dark side. If he'd learned to resist the dark side, he would've stopped being so aggressive.
    Also, his relationship with Ahsoka proves that he has parenting potential. She taught him a lot about what it takes to raise someone and even though he might not have been the kind of "perfect father" who never loses his temper, I believe that he would've connected with Luke and Leia, loved them with all his heart and, together with Padmé, helped them grow up into decent human beings.

Sith_Smuggler likes this.
  16. Jedi of Baker Street

Jedi of Baker Street Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    I think he would have been a great father and family man, yes. Just think how much he loved Luke, even sacrificed his life for him after only knowing him a short time. If he had been there from the beginning, I think the love of his family would have kept him happy. I don't think he would have been happy if he had to give up being a Jedi though, he would need to both. Too much of a sense of adventure in him, he would need the Jedi life to get his adrenaline out lol. But especially growing up without a father of his own I think he would have had a very special relationship with Luke and Leia, but especially Luke.

17. Antpocalypse

Jan 26, 2016

It saddens me that could never happen. Imagine them being one happy family. :_|

18. Antpocalypse

Jan 26, 2016

"LAVA GROUND, LAVA GROUND. FROM MY POINT OF VIEW YOU HAVE THE LAVA GROUND!"

I lost it at that. [face_laugh][face_rofl]

19. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    If, and only if, he had fully resisted the dark side, I say yes he could've been a great husband and father. His aggression and possessiveness stems from that side of him that ultimately pulled him in the wrong direction. So if any of that was still within I could see it tainting his future relationships with his children. If he had fully turned away and back to the light, he could use the fact that he had had no father and a rough childhood to ensure his children had an ever-present father and a more comfortable childhood. IMO, he would still form strong attachments, but they would be more loving in nature and not possessive.

All this being said, if Anakin didn't turn and you could assume Order 66 did not occur or failed, he would've had to leave the Jedi Order in order in order for this to happen.

Antpocalypse likes this.
  20. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008

OMG Love Renny![face_love]

Wish she would expand her work on the Skywalker more,but of course inspiration needs to strike.

So true! One the reasons I loved season 2 so much... made me think how Anakin's relationship with Leia would have been. Too bad this aspect got ruined for me as the series progressed.

LEIA would have had wrapped Ani around her little finger, Luke would have been such momma's boy!!

THIS is the Skywalker to me...:(

While I agree that he would have been miserable for leaving the Order in the long run due to a lack of purpose, I don't believe Anakin was happy being an actual Jedi in the first place...due to an extent to that same lack of purpose..
    Palps wasn't wrong in my opinion when he told him: Ever since I’ve known you, you’ve been searching for a life greater than that of an ordinary Jedi. A life of significance, of conscience.
    So I don't believe staying with the Order would've worked either.. I know people like to say that the Jedi were Anakin's family, but to me in Ani's mind they were not, with the exemption of Kenobi and later Tano to some extent.

I know!!! Nearly peed myself the first time I saw it!!

Antpocalypse likes this.
  21. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008

22. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yeah, Anakin has a sad story alright. He wanted love so much but it became about power and selfishness. I think he basically would've been a good father if he managed to get through that tricky period of his life.

Antpocalypse likes this.
  23. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    By the beginning of RotS, Anakin and Padme seem to be in a stable and healthy relationship, so had he been able to control his fear of loss, he could have been a good father. Then again, part of the reason he fell was his desire to rise in the ranks of the Jedi and gain more power, so his attachment to the Jedi Order might have proven to be problematic. I don't think he would have just left the Order like that.

24. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    I don't think that much changes.

1. Anakin turns over Darth Sidious to the Jedi Council and stays behind as Mace Windu agrees.
    2. Mace Windu and the other Jedi try to arrest Darth Sidious, but fail in the attempt.
    3. Sidious gives Order 66 which causes the clone army to attack the Jedi temple.
    4. Sidious gives Anakin one more chance to join him or be destroyed. He refuses and is killed in the clone assault.
    5. The Jedi Order still falls only with Anakin dead this time and replaced by another Sidious chooses.
    6. Padme goes into hiding after the Jedi massacre knowing that her children are offspring of one. She lives not having been killed by Anakin and probably retreats to Naboo to raise her children in secret. After the rise of the Empire, she probably resigns from the senate and loses hope in it. She becomes one more aid to the cause which eventually builds to be the Rebel Alliance. Her children are secretly trained by Obi-Wan and Yoda when of age to eventually combat the Emperor and free the galaxy. Padme returns to be a spare Rebel sympathizer during the Galactic Civil War.

Antpocalypse likes this.