main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Had Obi-wan been on the death star before?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by latverian33, Mar 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. latverian33

latverian33 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 29, 2008
    Some lines got me thinking.

Darth Vader tells Tarkin..." the last time I felt it was in the presence of my old Master"
    (who was this master? This line tells us that obi-wan and Vader crossed paths some time between episode 3 and 4)

When The falcon is approaching the death star Ben says "that's no moon it's a battle station"(with a look on his face as if he knew what it was)

Vader tells ben while in the death star... "you should not HAVE COME BACK"

Vader tells luke in ROTJ...."obi-wan once thought as you do" (which makes you believe that maybe obi-wan tried to hunt anakin/vader down sometime between episode 3 and 4 and tried to save him and turn him back to the good side)

So after considering all this especially the Ben knowing it was a space station and not a moon and vader saying "you should not have COME BACK" do you think maybe obi-wan had been on the death star before in an attempt to save Anakin?

it would make sense considering at the end of revenge of the sith the death star was already partially built and it didn't take no time between a new hope and rotj to build a new one so the death star could have been built within a yr or two after revenge of the sith and maybe just not operational.

2. Lumiyas_Head

Lumiyas_Head Jedi Master star 2

Jul 10, 2007
    Or it could be a reference to the last time Vader and Kenboi's saw each other on Mustafar twenty years in the past.

Obi-Wan can use the Force. I would guess that he's able to sense the difference between a planet and a space station.

Again, it could be another reference to Obi-Wan confronting Vader on Mustafar. We have no evidence to support that Obi-Wan and Vader met prior to the events of ANH or anytime after ROTS. Most of Vader's lines regarding Kenobi in ANH are most likely refereneces from their duel on Mustafar. Think of them as lines bridging the trilogies together.

3. latverian33

Feb 29, 2008
    Vader says the last time he felt obi-wans presence was in the presence of his old master.

He is not refering to obi-wan as his old master.

4. latverian33

Feb 29, 2008
    I too always thought that it was the force telling ben that that was no moon but a space station BUT as Mr.Spock is so fond of saying. " There are always possiblities"

5. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    What do you mean? To whom do you suggest Vader is referring if not Kenobi? The last time Vader felt that particular tremor in the Force was in the presence of his old master; in other words, Kenobi has a particular presence that Vader can detect. To what other "master" could Vader be referring?

6. Lumiyas_Head

Lumiyas_Head Jedi Master star 2

Jul 10, 2007
    Why not? Earlier, Vader says, "I sense something... a presence I haven't felt since..." then, when he speaks about this to Grand Moff Tarkin, the converstation goes as followed:

VADER: He is here...

TARKIN: Obi-Wan Kenobi! What makes you think so?

VADER: A tremor in the Force. The last time I felt it was in the presence of my old master.

Meaning, the last time he felt whatever it is he's feeling, it was in the presence of Obi-Wan Kenobi, his old master.

7. latverian33

Feb 29, 2008
    Yes. I See how one could see it that way.

I always thought of it as he felt obi-wan being near by while he was in the presence of his old master.

They way you explain it though makes much more sense.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Sidious is not his old master but his current one. :)

9. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Listening comprehension FTW.

10. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    It's not likely that Vader and 'Old Ben' met after their fight on Mustafar. The reason the twins were split up and hidden was to protect them from the Emperor. Kenobi stayed within range of Luke to keep him protected: "I will stay and look after the boy." Had he sought out Vader that would have gone against his mandate; which was to wait until the time was right or look for a sign from the force; as ordered by Yoda. Likewise had Vader discovered Obi Wan, it would have been near Luke and Obi Wan would have been forced to either leave Tatooine or fight Vader. Neither happened because as Vader said when confronting Kenobi on the Death Star: "We meet again at last. When I left you I was but the learner. Now I am the master." The last time Vader was a learner and left Obi Wan was on Mustafar.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Yeah... when a character is about to face off against their nemesis, and they say something about "when we last met", it's assumed they haven't fought in the interim between films!

Isn't it?

[*cough*]Clone Wars[*cough*] [face_worried]

12. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Arawn (Can I call you Arawn?),

Forgive me but am I missing something? Why would Vaderkin have faced off against Obi then. Mustafar, which was when they last met was [*cough*] After The Clone Wars [*cough*]?

Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious

Cheer, fifteen year, chillin' to dat core

Stone

13. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    Darth Vader was referring to whenever the last time he was in the presence of Obi-Wan Kenobi. How this is not blatantly obvious to everyone escapes me. We have Kenobi referring to Vader earlier as a pupil of his, we have Vader after the comment, clarifying it by pointing out that the circle was now complete, that he was the Master now...indicating Kenobi was previously the Master. Why this isn't proof enough for some people, I have no idea. This is a pretty open and shut situation. But, to answer the OP, no, Obi-Wan Kenobi had never been on the Death Star before.

14. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    No, it is not possible that Obi-Wan had been on the Death Star before. He was in isolation on Tattooine for 17 years, staying hidden except for occassional appearances in the cities. Ob-Wan had no forms of transportation (why else would he and Luke hire Han Solo for the trip to Alderaan), meaning that he could not get off the planet.

15. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  16. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    No, he had not been on the Death Star before, and for the love of Waru,
    DON'T GIVE LUCAS ANY IDEAS!!!! [face_worried]

17. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Obi Wan has the power to channel Solid Snake and infiltrate any place in the galaxy.:p

18. Sevb32

Sevb32 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 2, 2007
    19 years, not 17

19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Obi-Wan has infiltrated every place in the galaxy. While drunk :p

20. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
  21. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Not at all.

He saw the Death Star plans in Attack of the Clones. (did they cut that scene?)

Meaning, you should not have come out of hiding.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    He didn't see the DS plans in AOTC.

23. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, he didn't see the plans in AOTC. One thinks he might've bothered mentioning that the Confederacy was building a planet-destroying battle station if he had.

Of course, he might've been drunk at the time, so who knows what he remembered. Indeed, the Republic was lucky that he bothered calling home at all. :p

24. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    During the Death Star's construction, Obi-Wan snuck on board and made some changes to the station's design to sabotage it: eliminate all guard rails; connect areas of the station with thin, narrow bridges over miles-deep shafts; make the doors open and close at 100 mph, ensuring injuries; make a line of sight path between reactor core/exhaust duct work/exhaust ports...

25. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.