main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Had Obi-wan not allowed Vader to kill him, how long do you think it would've lasted and who've won?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by OurBenevolentLeader, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OurBenevolentLeader

OurBenevolentLeader Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 1, 2003
    I say Vader would have won in another two and 1/2 minutes had Kenobi not sacrificed himself.

How 'bout you?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    If Ben would have wasted him there would have been no need to make ESB.

3. senseless_apprentice

senseless_apprentice Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2002
    I think Obi-wan could have killed him. But He knew, that his destiny lied on a different path. By sacrificing himself and dieing in front of Luke, he knew that Luke would fulfill his destiny. Moreover, in ghost form he could have much more power over events in the galaxy (i.e. deathstar)

I believe Kenobi knew very well of his destiny.

"Oh he's not dead, not yet"

Plus he rushed off to fullfill it. He knew that Luke was the galaxy's savior from the start.

"Our destiny's lie on a different path..."

In conclusion, I think Obi-Wan or Darth Vader could have been killed because the both of them, look pretty equal when they are fighting. Darth Vader is the aggressor at most times, but there is no quarter given by Obi-wan.

4. Trojan_Sock

Trojan_Sock Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    Obi-wan would have taken him, again! ;)

"Oh he's not dead, not yet"

OMG! The perfect proof against those "Obi and Yoda were already dead!" threads in the spoiler forum (unless you used that damned "certain point of view" reasoning [face_laugh] )

5. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Well, considering what Obi-Wan did to him during their previous duel, I think it's fair to say that Obi-Wan would once again have mopped the floor with him. Vader may have experience, but he's still below Obi-Wan.

6. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Hmmm....an interesting question...hard to see the dark si....NO WAY!!!

Obi-Wan was at best holding his own against Vader. "Your powers are weak, old man."

Obi-Wan could have probably held Vader off for awhile...but it was only a matter of time before Vader wore him down.

As much as I like the old man...I'm sad to say...Old Ben was doomed the moment Vader caught up with him in the hallway.

7. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Vader would take him.

8. senseless_apprentice

senseless_apprentice Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2002
    Agreed. Even if Obi-Wan was victorious he'd have to deal with 7 stormies at close range.

It's Kenobi though, he's been known to have a few near misses here and there. Guess it just caught up to him.

9. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Eugene_Meltsner_AIO Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2002
    Vader. But the thing that gets me is how boring the fight in ANH is, and then we get the terrific, exciting, intense duel in ESB. What's up with that?

10. Trojan_Sock

Feb 27, 2003
    ANH - two old men, one of which isn't even trying to win.

ESB - Luke's fighting for his life, and Vader wants to see what his kid can do.

11. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    By Obi-Wan stating something about Vader striking him down, I'd say Vader was the more powerful Force user of the two. And I think he would have sliced Obi-Wan down in another few minutes. Obi-Wan on the other hand had Obi-Wan survived the contest, he would have trained Luke fully and Luke would have been a better Jedi for it.

12. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Eugene_Meltsner_AIO Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2002
    Yes, Trojan, but seeing Vader in ESB, it makes me wonder why he wasn't giving it all he had in ANH.

13. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Obi-Wan only knew that he would be helping Luke more by allowing himself to be killed than by defeating Vader. He probably could have held his own against stormtroopers as well, considering how quickly he deflected fire in AOTC. Kenobi is still in good shape, I think, even though Guinness wasn't in as good a shape then as McGregor is now.

14. Arwen_Solo

Arwen_Solo Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2003
    I think that Obi-Wan would have been Vader's match if not bested him. I truly think that Obi-Wan was not out to kill Vader. I think he held a last hope until his end that he would cross back to the Light side. But maybe Obi-Wan thought his death was apart of the process of saving Anakin?

Arwen [face_love]

15. Trojan_Sock

Feb 27, 2003
    "it makes me wonder why he wasn't giving it all he had in ANH."

Because Vader knew that Obi was up to something.

[Vader]- "Escape is not his plan"

Besides, this was paybacks [for the lava, if you go for that ;) ] What villain doesn't gloat just before he thinks he will easily kill the good guy? "Now I am the master". He's rubbing it in, savoring the moment. Obi is letting Vader waste these precious moments, to give Luke time to escape. Once Obi sees that Luke is safe, Obi disarms himself completely. The fight, while excellent in and of itself, was a ruse on both their parts. Both had a job to do, and it was not to fight. Had the fight occured elsewhere, away from Luke and the Death Star, it would have been much more exciting to watch.

16. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    Obi-Wa would have been gone. He was washed up.

Plus it's Vader's destiny.

17. Kia-Ruse

Kia-Ruse Jedi Master star 1

Feb 4, 2003
    This was extensively discussed quite a while back in this very forum but I thought I'd copy, paste and re-post my views:

This is 'The Seven Forms of Jedi Dueling' thread right here people. True Form III Masters (of which Kenobi was one) are considered invincible beacause every minute action and reaction is dedicated to defence.

However saying that, Vader was a master of the much more aggressive Form V. Form V was developed because even though Form III was unbeatable, it lacked the more effective techniques to secure a victory.

So Kenobi's defences were inpenetrable but his offensive wasn't strong enough to overpower Vader. That's why he sacrificed himself I believe, the fight was a stalemate. So Kenobi turned a no-win situation into an opportunity to allow Luke and the others an escape chance.

18. Trojan_Sock

Feb 27, 2003
    "So Kenobi turned a no-win situation into an opportunity to allow Luke and the others an escape chance."

But this was Obi-wan's plan all along...

"Your destiny lies along a different path than mine."

BTW, it wasn't a no-win situation, because Obi-wan knew he would become one with the Force.

"You may strike me down, but I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine"

This was not pleading for his life...he was taunting Vader to do exactly that!

19. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Luke would have probably jumped in and got killed.

Darth Vader would definately have killed Obi-Wan. Vader kills anyone he wants to. He is evil. And powerful.

20. Trojan_Sock

Feb 27, 2003
    "Vader kills anyone he wants to."

Perhaps you forgot that he didn't kill Luke in ANH, despite his best efforts?

21. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    I guess Vader would have enentually won, Ben's saber probably would have frizzed out for good.

22. son-of-skywalker13

son-of-skywalker13 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 27, 2002
    i dont have any proof but i have heard people say that Lucas originally felt that obi wan was more powerful than vader

23. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    That doesn't make much sense. He's the chosen one.

24. Trojan_Sock

Feb 27, 2003
    Just because he's chosen to do a job, doesn't mean he has to be the most powerful. All he did was pick up Palpatine (one-handed -- I'll give you that :) )

25. leggy63

leggy63 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2003
    i think if he was a real jedi he could have jumped the troopers and run onto the ship like douku did eh????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.