main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Had we ever seen somebody deprogammed?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kay Suhyun, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Kay Suhyun

Kay Suhyun Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2013
    We had not seen that many mind control stories, had we seen anyone deprogramed/reprogramed/brought back to normality?

How widespread is mind control?

I assume it's not hat widespread because i only remember Jorin Sol going manchu on the Rebellion.

What techniques are used to ache\ive a manchurian candidate?

Why had we not seen any of that since the Barlow rebellion run?

2. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Jaden Korr in riptide.

Lusankya prisoners in X-Wing series.

And obviously Jedi temporarily control/persuade people's minds all the time.

3. Kay Suhyun

Apr 29, 2013
    Yeah, i forgot about X-wing.

4. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    Guri. Massad Thrumble reprogrammed her to forget her time in Black Sun.

5. Kay Suhyun

Apr 29, 2013
    Yeah, but she was a robot.

6. AlyxDinas

Jul 12, 2010
    Doesn't really make her less of a person. HRD or not, she's functionally human. It's not quite mind control since I don't think there's indication but it's a fitting comparison since she's being mentally reprogrammed and Savan does attempt to use a key word to trigger some type of latent mental conditioning.

Yuuzhan Vong slaves implanted by yorik-kul fall somewhere into the category here as well. They receive mental orders from yammosk and dhuryam. Eventually, the lose independent thoughts.

Cipher 9 is probably the most recent example I can think of. They're given mental condition shortly after dealing with Darth Jadus because the Dark Council actually fears what they are potentially capable of. It takes a mixture of dimalium-6 and sheer willpower for them to override their keyword and reset the program.

7. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    err, what?

she's a droid

8. AlyxDinas

Jul 12, 2010
    Without derailing the thread into a droid sentience/droid right's matter: "Guri was an HRD...and unique. She could eat, drink, and perform all the more personal functions of a woman without anybody the wiser."

The thread didn't say "Have we seen any humans/humanoids/etc.." It was "have we seen somebody". Being a droid doesn't make her not somebody, particularly if she's sufficiently advanced. That said, I wouldn't place her in the same category as, to use an example from the same book, Wes' sabotaged R2 unit.

As for more types of mental coercion, C'baoth alters General Covell's mind but that was complicated by ysalamiri and the severance caused the brain damage that killed him. He does use mental control to make Pellaeon order Luuke's creation and then returned him to normal and made him forget. Not such where that lies on the apparently invisible scale of acceptable examples.

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
  10. stung4ever

stung4ever Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    The Lusankya prisoners weren't deprogrammed. Isard kept them in the facilty because she couldn't brainwash them.

11. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Droids are designed to be programmed . . . they're droids. They have machine "brains" that act according to programs. Of course programming a droid is completely different to programming a human lol

The difference?

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    "Deprogramming" would be reversing a brainwashing. The prisoners on Lusankya couldn't be brainwashed to start, so they couldn't be deprogrammed either, because they were never "programmed."

FatSmel and Mia Mesharad like this.
  13. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    k thx

14. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Don't be obnoxious, try to make posts that actually contribute to discussion