main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hailboards Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by Bacon164, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I finally managed to find hosting for a forum on Hailboards, and now I have no idea how to modify 'templates' as they're called, or make my own. I can't seem to get to the Hailboards Forum, so I'm pretty much stuck with the generic design. I also can't seem to modify the "colors" of usernames without modifying all the colored usernames. On a final note, how can you modify the 'powers' of different user groups? Here's a link to their main page, and here's a link to the forum I'm working on. Please help. :(

2. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I suggest attempting to make contact with one of the Hailboards admins for assistance on how to work their program. As for your board itself, it's PHP. Here's the link to the support forum for that. Hopefully it will be able to tell you how to operate your group settings.

3. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Alright, I figured some things out. Thanks! :)

4. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    That's good. I tried the link you gave for hailboards and I couldn't get to their community board either this morning. I think maybe they might have had a tech issue.

5. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I can't get to nemisis's Sith Trials Board (on Hailboards) either...

Well, I've already made a thread, and provided a link, so i guess I might as well ask how the board looks so far.

6. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Your site looks nice and clean as always, Bacon. I like the feel of the color scheme and the font for the main title completes the effect IMHO. :)

The tech support board having tech problems? Not a good day for them. :p

7. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Thanks, DV. Have any idea as to get rid of that annoying green line just below the 'banner' and above the background? I think it's a coding thing I've messed up....

8. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Glad I saw this thread. As you know I am very use to the Hailboards style forums. Their community forums have been down for some time now, as I have not been able to access them since about early November. One thing I would suggest going to this thread on phatooine where they have a discussion on hailboards. The developers of HB run the place.

Also, my PM box is always open, so if you have questions, I am here with a lot of the answers.

By the way, the forum skin looks wonderful! :D

9. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Alrighty. That explains a bit. I think I might want to get a couple of those styles they've made if they're public or whatever... you know.

Hehe, thanks. It took me forever to figure out how to modify a template much less what was what in the skinning center or whatever it's called. :p

10. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Well, I have a bunch of skins at my site, I am sure I can give you some of the codes for them. :) Also, you may want to think about upgrading your forums, as you are running on the old 0.3.2. If I can figure out how, I will send you the correct files for you to upgrade. :)

I signed up at your forums, and am there for whatever support you may need.

Also, I do not know why you cannot enter my forums...I can view them fine. They are dead now because I decided to use them for something else, but if you want to view them, go here

11. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    It's working now, but this morning it had the same error message as Hailboard Support.

EDIT: Wait, NV, misread the post.

How do you make a new template or scheme? Do you have to install other styles to do that?

12. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Go to your admin CP, go to the section that says Xtreme Styles and go to Style Management, and click on Clone Styles. Choose your style, and then edit it through the overall_header.tpl file like before. ;)

13. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Thanks. I'll try that in a bit. Just two more questions. :p Sorry.

How do you make colored usernames different for different members? I tried using "siteadmin2" as a span thingy, and putting it in the header, but it didn't work.

And...

I accidentally deleted the 'Admin' Link when editing the Main Menu to make it more JC-like. I tried putting it back in, but I think it has to have that weird {_ADMIN_} thing. Everyone could see it when I put it in, and the link only takes me to the main page anyways, so I have to go to the admin panel manually. Can you give me that from the headers near the bottom?

Sorry for all the trouble. I'm a n00b to this stuff. [face_blush]

14. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    When it comes to hailboards I'd trust any answer by nemisis over my own. :p Looks like he's already got you fairly well taken care of though so I'll just say best of luck and keep up the good work to both of you. ;)

15. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    I can see your site now too, Bacon. It looks really sharp. I love the design.

16. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Okay, to change colors, you will need to go to the Styles Management, and choose Edit Templates, as you probably know. All you have to do is copy the code that is already in there, probably .siteadmin, and make a different tag for it. Mine is the following:

.nemisis
    {
    color: limegreen;font-weight: bold;font-style: italic;background-color: red;border-top: 1px solid green;border-bottom: 1px solid green;border-right: 1px solid green;border-left: 1px solid green; text-decoration: none;
    }

(You may notice I have the border code in there...I notice you don't, so that is how you do it if you didn't know. ALso, I think the simple: "border: 1px solid red" will suffice.)

I have approximately 10-13 of those for different people. Then, after you make a new one, go to the User Ranks, create a new one. In the Open Tag Input box, I would insert <span class="nemisis"> and then </span> in the close box. Then, assign that title to someone. That is all there is to it.

I am not sure you can fix that link thing. Do you have access to your admin CP right now? Like, is there a window with it? If so, do a new Template, and change the style to the current style you have. Then, add that as the default, and delete the other one. Then, from there, you can re-edit everything.

I hope I am not too confusing. :(

17. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Ugh, the colors aren't working. I'll get to that later. As for the admin thing, I know there's something at the bottom of the headers for that. I just... deleted it for some reason.

18. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    I got a 404 error on your boards... :(

19. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    On the Jedi Trials site...? I am on there fine. Weird.

20. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    Oh, that site! [face_laugh] It was linked to another site in the first message on the thread. It's moved since then... my bad.

21. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Actually, the site in the first post no longer exists.

I've done some more tweaking of the Hailboards Template on my replica of the JC Test Board. The forum body, private messages, and thread things have changed the most. I've put a forum jump and navigational links on every page, and have also tweaked the widths of some tables so that it matches the JC. I think it's a bit sloppy, but I don't know HTML that well anyways. Most of it I've learned in my little experiments in the Hailboards Admin Panel. Also having trouble disabling the Attachments Mod Thing... it keeps overriding my choices to switch it off. >:eek:

22. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Oh nice LT! :p

I like some of the changes you did there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.