main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Half-Blood Prince discussion. ***Spoilers allowed***

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by darth-paul-, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-paul-

darth-paul- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2004
    Let me hear what you haveto say about the newest Harry Potter book.

I loved it. I am going to start from the beginning and read them all again. I thought that it was a dark book, a lot like ROTS and the deaths of the Jedi's.

But, I still think I like Goblet of Fire best.

What did you think about what happened to Dumbledore?
    Snape?
    Harry and Ginny?
    Won-Won and Lavender?
    Anyother thoughts.

Darth Paul

2. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    i still think snape is good, i'm thinking either what happened to dumbledore was faked or he and snape had a pact about what would happen. from what others have said on the boards the R.A.B. is Sirius's brother Regilus, and if you notice in OOTP in the cabinet they cleaned out in Sirius's house there was a heavy locket that no one could open, so i'm thinking its one of the horcruxes. i loved the book, hoping to re-read it this week if i get it back, i've already leant it out to several people :) i thought for sure ron and hermione would get together in this book, suprised about tonks and lupin though. also don't think snapes bad because he had so many chances when escaping the castle to have killed off tons of them and he didn't. totally new the crying boy was malfoy as soon as moaning murtle mentioned him, couldn't figure out at first where he was dissapearing too though, never even thought of the room of requirement. totally thought he was out to get harry and coulnd't figure out why he didn't just do it on the train. next one is going to be amazing, two years is going to be a very long time to wait though :)

3. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Wasn't prepared to see Dumbledore gone - shocked me. But afterwards, realized he had to go. Harry must face Voldemort alone - and he needed more motivation to go after him.
    Snape??!! Knew he was bad, but didn't realize he's THIS BAD!! Although, speculation around the office is that he and Dumbledore were talking to each other using Legilimency and that D. ordered S. to kill him - in order to keep his cover and to save Malfoy's life.
    Also, there's a theory going around about Snape's defection and why Dumbledore trusts him so much. Could Snape have been secretly in love with Lily? Perhaps he didn't feel much remorse for James' death, but felt really guilty and upset over Lily's??? Dumbldore said love was a powerful weapon against Voldemort.....?? Perhaps that's why he believed Snape's defection was real??
    As well, when Snape faces Harry (as he's trying to escape with Malfoy), it almost seems likes he yelling instructions at him ('when will you learn to close your mind? etc....) - telling Harry what he needs to do before facing Voldemort...??
    Won-Won and Lavendar were hilarious!
    Mollywobbles - so funny!
    'You don't have to call me sir, Professor'...!! Priceless!!
    Lupin and Tonks is a nice surprise. Bill and Fleur - didn't think she'd stay..!
    Not going back to Hogwarts??! Hermione miss school??!! Why hasn't Harry wanted to visit Godric's Hollow and his parents grave before?
    Not sure I believe Regulus is R.A.B. Book 5 doesn't mention his middle initial - did Sirius have one?? It only mentions that it's 'a heavy locket' that couldn't be opened. I'm sure Harry would've noticed if there was a snake on it or something.

4. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    everything is sirius's house had snakes on it, so it probably wouldn't have been a big deal.
    i loved that 'You don't have to call me sir, Professor' was totally suprised fleur stayed, thought she'd be too shallow. i'd think harry would have probably wanted to visit godrics hollow but he was underaged, how would he get there, its not like the dursleys would have ever taken him, it'll make things easier for them to get around once their able to apparate

5. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    I don't remember reading about snakes all over the Black home....?? I mean, Sirius does mention that his family were supporters of Voldemorts pureblood views, but they weren't Deatheaters. Regulus was the only one who signed up - and then backed out. Oh well, we were speculating over who the Half-Blood Prince was and NO ONE guessed it was Snape. I'm sure Jo will surprise us again!

6. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    "the silver door knocker was in the form of a twisted serpent" "both the chandelier and the candelabra on a rickety table nearby were shaped like serpents" they also mention doorknobs shaped like snakes heads :)

7. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    I just finnished HBP on the plane back from Vegas. Random thoughts:

- Dumbledore had to die, but if Jo keeps to the epic formula, he will return.

- There is still so much more to Snape than we realize. (duh)

- Harry can't do it all alone. He isn't really skilled enough, and the quest for the locket in the cave showed that more than one wizard is a good idea.

-Totaly faked out by Tonks, thought she was being impersonated. I know these things are full of red herrings so nothing is set until it is set.

-Figured the HBP was Snape the second Harry got the book. Looked like he got the "teachers edition" ;) But again, nothing is set until it is set.

-Too much left for the last book!

Ahh! I must re-read GoF and OoTF now to put everything into perspective and to get ready for the new film.

8. darth-paul-

darth-paul- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2004
    I found this site today. It is a long read, but very informative and researched well.

Read this only if you have read the book and want something to think about.

www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com

Darth Paul

ps. I think that he is dead!

pps. maybe

9. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Dumbledore should come back in some form or another. It's part of the epic formula, isn't it? Obi-Wan and Gandalf both come back.

10. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    His theories are fascinating! Really gives you some food for thought....

11. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    I haven't checked out the Dumbledoreisnotdead site, but I totally agree that Dumbledore is going to pull a Gandalf here. Too much phoenix-imagery - especially around Dumbledore himself - for this not to be used somehow. Which also means that I think Dumbledore does have to 'die' in at least some sense for this to work. Just like the Phoenix, just like ObiWan, just like Gandalf, just like Jesus, and so on.

I like the idea that Snape was in love with Lily. Interesting dynamic with Harry created by that - on the one hand, struggling with this concrete evidence of Lily and James' love for each other, while on the other, perhaps thinking Harry could have been his son. Seesawing between jealousy and protectiveness.

I thought Lily was the half-blood prince for a long time - Harry kept being compared to Lily while he was using the book, for instance. Also, I thought it would have been thematically sensible to devote one of the novels to learning more about Lily (like we previously did about James - and learning that James was a fallible human with some not-so-nice traits). I was pretty disappointed that Rowling didn't take the opportunity to do that in HBP. Lily had better be fleshed out a little more in the last book, otherwise the story really feels unbalanced to me.

Actually, I thought the HBP was a pretty weak novel compared to the others. Such a long novel and what really happened? Too much build up to the main event, too many wasted opportunities to have the subplots relevant in themselves AND tie-in to the climax. It's been too long since I read it now for me to remember all my wonderfully specific arguments, but I remember distinctly feeling that Rowling needs a stronger editor. Maybe with all her success she's become surrounded by yes-men (I suspect this has also been Lucas' problem). PoA remains my favorite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.