main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Half-Blood Prince: restore the lost text!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Obi-Ewan, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    The American hardcover edition of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince featured some dialogue that was deleted from the British Edition, and sadly, later the American paperback as well. It's close to the end, near the climactic scene, and makes clear the nature of Dumbledore's offer to Draco Malfoy.

"He cannot kill you if you are already dead. Come over to the right side, Draco, and we can hide you more completely than you can possibly imagine. What is more, I can send members of the Order to your mother tonight to hide her likewise. Nobody would be surprised that you had died in your attempt to kill me--forgive me, but Lord Voldemort probably expects it. Nor would the Death Eaters be surprised that we had captured and killed your mother--it is what they would do themselves, after all. Your father is safe at the moment in Azkaban....When the time comes, we can protect him too. Come over to the right side, Draco....you are not a killer...."

The paperback edition only includes this part of it:
    "Come over to the right side, Draco, and we can hide you more completely than you can possibly imagine. What is more, I can send members of the Order to your mother tonight to hide her likewise. Your father is safe at the moment in Azkaban. When the times comes, we can protect him too. Come over the right side, Draco...you are not a killer."

I say if it made it into the American edition, there's a good reason for it: no doubt it fed into the discussion for two years after about the true reasons for Snape's actions. It ought to be restored to the American paperback edition, and for that matter, the British one too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.