main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Half-Breed OC's---Howcome noone does them ?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by _3MD_PsychoSniper, Nov 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Who has done an OC thats a bybred, has parents of 2 or more species ?

I'm just wondering. Onceothers post, I'll talk about my hybrid

2. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    Well, the problem is simply genetics. It's difficult to breed from two genetically more or les incompatible species. We have some of them in the animal kingdom, but they are not fertile.

I think, that could be the greatest drawback of such ideas.

3. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Yeah, you can't have a half-breed and not have some consequences.

I DO have a half breed, although in my current story she's not born yet. But her life will be far from charmed due to her mixed genetics.

I know that if two species of animal are close enough genetically then they can produce offspring, but their offspring may not be viable. It's all very scientific, really. ;)

Jae Angel

4. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Also, half-breeds tend to put up warning flags in the reader's mind about that character being a potential Mary Sue. In one of my other fandoms (LotR), any time I see something about a half-elf OC in a fic, I hit the back button. In that particular fictional universe, half-breeds are extremely rare, so it's undermining the uniqueness of characters like Elrond to have random half-elves all over the place.

Similarly in SW, we don't see half-breeds often (at all?), so it would be somewhat compromising to the structure of the story with this seemingly random character in it. Someone who is a half-breed is a little like an orphan in fictional terms--it denotes that there is something unusual, and probably something wrong, in some respect. However, if an author's good enough, he can really pull that off--and even bring in a substantial message about racism and such. It all depends on how the author chooses to deal with it.

Mel

5. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Yes, you can incorperate them succsessfully into a fic, but they have to be handled carefully... (yes I'm being vauge for a selfish reason). A flaw or circumstance that would ffect the characters or the story..

6. Lady_Moonbeam

Lady_Moonbeam Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Yes, a half-breed OC does seem a little too trendy--especially if the mix made them extremely beautiful or something like that. I would like to see a story where a romance between two different species creates problems--for one thing, their offspring would probably by infertile, and possibly have other health problems.

7. _3MD_PsychoSniper

Oct 25, 2003
    ButU its fiction.

You can write your OC however you want to.

Afterall, who remembers Mr. Spock ?

(ducks rotten fruit from the non-trek fans.)

8. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Yeah, I agree with the whole Mary Sue thing. It all has to do with the reason why your character is a half-breed. Is it because the goal is to make them exotic, have super powers from both parents, or run faster and jump higher than everyone else?

Does the character get the best of both species in terms of traits? Or are they the runt of the litter or the outcast because they're not quite one or the other?

At the same time, it helps to add some "humanity" to the character (assuming they're half human). While their life might not be cheery, don't do a 180 and write a character who has nothing going for them and who everyone is meh about. Chances are that your readers will be meh too. That kind of character is called an Anti-Mary Sue, where a writer tries so hard to keep out of Mary Sue territory that they write an uninteresting, annoying character.

Ways of keeping your character out of Mary-Sue-ville include giving them some faults (even Superman had kryptonite) but the most important thing is to flesh out the character so they're not one-dimensional.

There's a profile that EmilieDarklighter provided in the OC Alliance thread where you can answer a whole bunch of questions about your OC to get a better picture of who they are. I should up that thread. :p

Oh, and stay away from exotic coloring. Green eyes = big no no unless they go along with mousey brown hair. ;)

Jae Angel

9. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    I contemplated doing something like that with Nawara and Rhysati, but thought of a couple major issues. Two of them were already mentioned - it's basically genetically impossible and it gives the impression of a Mary Sue. The other thing I thought about is what it would do to the actual child. To have no one like you in the universe...that has to be rough. There's probably also a lot of bias still in the GFFA, and the child would most likely be treated poorly. I ended up having their kids be adopted.

~Inyri

10. _3MD_PsychoSniper

Oct 25, 2003
    While the characther might get some benifits, theres a;ways drawbacks.

The OC in my crossover fic is a hybrid, and once he gets in some hand to hand combat scenes, he's gona bedoing bad because he lacks agility, due to his Horta heratige.

Zekka Thyne is the only hybrid I know of in SW, and in fact is the only GFFA hybrid I know of other than my OC.
    Also, the treatment any hybrid would recive would depend on the characthers hes around. Luke would accept him easily as long as he isnt evil, were someone like Fel'ya would be more likley to be bigoted.

I actualy think that there should be more hybrids in the GFFA, but only of compatable species (no Wookie and Calamarin's with kids) but possible Chiss and human (as they appear to be closer geneticly, and all we can go on is apperince)

11. PadawanRoo

PadawanRoo Jedi Master star 1

Aug 7, 2003
    well this all goes into the definition of a species. There are hybrids in Star Trek because the major sentient races are just that- races. If two different organisms can mate and pruduce fertile offspring, they are the same species. The fact that Be'elanna in Star Trek: Voyager gets pregnant and brings the child to term illustrates that humans and Klingons cannot be biologically different species.

So yes, you could have a hybrid in Star Wars, but they would probably have to be sterile unless the two races in question descended from the same species.

and again, there are certainly Mary-Sue concerns. I definetely take hybrid characters as a red flag. It's possible to do them well, but so many people do them poorly that they get a rep.

12. _3MD_PsychoSniper

Oct 25, 2003
    The fact that he/she is a hybrid means not only the best of both worlds, but also the worst of both worlds.

My OC, I use him as an example cause hes the only hybrid OC I've seen here, has that the best /worst of both worlds. He's a mix of vulcan,human,Horta and therefore has mild telepathic skills (but has to be very close to the person), very weak telekenitic skills, and the blaster resistant hide of a Horta (but cant take as much as a regular horta).

However, he will (as I write more of him) have a lack of agility and be very heavy, in otherwords he's really easy to hit, which evens out the fact that you have to shoot him repeatidly to penertrate.

Still, I wana see a pairing of a Charda Fan and a Hutt.

OR................
    WARNING, THE FOLLOWING PAIRING IS NAUSIETIUNG

Jaina/Jabba
    hope I didnt ruin you appitite before dinner

13. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I'd like to see more of these types of characters. I've only seen a few, all of them done well, though.

As to the believability or practicality - it really shouldn't be a problem. Someone above said that this is fiction, which readers must keep in mind. We're writing in a universe that has swords made of light, space stations with the power to blow up planets, and people called Jedi who are able to do stunts that a normal man would not be able to do. You're only limited by your imagination.

14. _3MD_PsychoSniper

Oct 25, 2003
    Remember, the hybrid might have specil gifts or limitations unique to their herritage, but they are also a unique person, like all OC's, and you should work more to devolp them as a person than their biology.

15. Xeana

Xeana Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2003

I made up a galaxy (nothing to do with SW, sorry) were the mythical creatures (i.e. Dragon, centaur...) sought refuge when the knights and princes began hunting them down during the Immortal's War. In that galaxy, they had to cross bred or die out. My name sake, Xeana, appears in a lot of my SW fanfic, and she is a cross breed. See my bio for more.

16. _3MD_PsychoSniper

Oct 25, 2003
    COOL!!!

Another writer of a crossbreed OC.

Other hybred writers feel free to up your hybreds fic's here.

17. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    I?d just like to post a quick reminder to those who don?t realise, but we do have rules on inter-species dating. Jaina/Jabba is definitely out.

I had to search through all my posts, but I finally found the relevant thread.

There it is. Please read if you?re a bit rough around the edges when it comes to the policy.

Thanks! :)

Am [face_love]

18. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Thanks for reminding us about that thread. I'd nearly forgotten about it. So only pairings between beings of similar biology, then.

Not to be silly or anything, but what if someone really wanted a half-human, half-hutt character ... could they be created in a lab instead? What if Jabba decided to invest in a bioengineering firm? If that would be okay, I think someone should tackle the Jaina/Jabba idea. :p

About the policy on accepted pairings ... if the pairing is not actually in the story, would that be all right? For a half-breed OC, the parents and their relationship might not even be introduced in the story. I have no plans to create such an OC, just trying to better understand what the limitations would be for these forums. :)

19. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Happy_Hobbit_Padawan, as a biomedical engineer, I might just have to tackle that idea of genetically engineering a hutt/human. ;) Just as a little joke. :p That human could even be Jaina, so the result would be a Jaina/Jabba. [face_deadpan]

[face_laugh] Dude, I'm really gonna do it some day, when I'm REALLY high on caffeine. :p

To reply to Inyri: What's so wrong about giving a child character a hard time growing up because they're different? There are plenty of humans who go through life being different than others, and some of them eventually don't see it as that bad. ;)

Also, if a donkey and a horse mate, they get a mule. The mule is alive but infertile. That doesn't make the mule any less useful for pulling wagons or boats along a canal.

If a character was born with no capacity to reproduce, their priorities might be different. They might give themselves to the military or the jedi, and they might fall in love with plans to adopt or to not have any kids. Basically you work with what you've been given. ;)

Jae Angel

20. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    I guess a Hutt would rather eat a Chadra-Fan instead of mating ... :p

I kind of dream about a story with a half-breed of Human and Twi'lek, but the fact that this is almost not possible makes me kind of sad.

It's the thing that happened to the young Darklighter (not Biggs, sorry, but I've forgotten his name) and his female friend, Bothan (forgotten her name, too, awfully sorry). It's kind of tragic.

It's like ... well, anyone who has read my story (link in my bio & siganture) would think they would like to marry, have children and so on .. but it's seemingly not possible, due to some contraints of that special time ...

21. tatooinewizard

tatooinewizard Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2003
    I have two half-breed OCs, of course most have never heard of the races, except human, unless they've read my fan fic.

In The Legend of Black Saber there's Cloudia Wandry, the main character. She's the daughter of a former Jedi Master--a human male--and a Churyen woman.

Then in the unfinished sequel, The Sith Mandate, there's V'l-slech. He's the son of a Dark Jedi--a human male--and female Rosk.

Now the Rosk and Churyen species don't differ too much from our own. Some of the differences are skin color, bone structure, and other such things.

22. InyriForge

Jan 24, 2002
    To reply to Inyri: What's so wrong about giving a child character a hard time growing up because they're different? There are plenty of humans who go through life being different than others, and some of them eventually don't see it as that bad.

Hmmm, I probably didn't express that correctly. My point was only that I think there wouldn't be a lot of children running around who's parents were from different specis. I think that because of the great difficulties the child would face, most couples would think twice about having a child. I always figured that was why Gavin and Asyr had wanted to adopt children if they had gotten married. *shrug*

~Inyri

23. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Ah, now that makes perfect sense. :) I agree, that if couples of similar but different species ever marry, they should really consider not trying to have their own kids.

I also think that not every union is as well thought out, and you're bound to have some illegitimate children because certain people thought there was no way they could conceive with differing genetics. Also, people could just be governed by emotion or plain stupid, which would mean they probably wouldn't think those things out and end up with a little accident. :p

It's sad for the kid, but it's not the end of the world. There are far worse things than being different from others.

Jae Angel

24. InyriForge

Jan 24, 2002
    Yeah. I should learn not to respond to discussion questions when I haven't slept for awhile. :p I'm sure people don't always think things through, especially in reality.

~Inyri

25. female_obi_wan

female_obi_wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    Actually, in my fanfic, I made Tahl sort of a half-breed (well, am going to anyway, haven't worked all the details out yet)...on her homeplanet there were two races constantly at war, and her parents were two people from different sides...and they were killed and Tahl was raised by her grandmother. Something like that anyway. :p Anyway, one of the details was that one race were all green-eyed and the other all had gold eyes...that's supposed to explain her striped eyes. :D Come to think of it, I was actually thinking of giving her some powers she wouldn't have had otherwise too...although I'm trying desperately not to make her a Sue...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.