main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Half way through The Thrawn Trilogy.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LordThrawnStark, Mar 9, 2013.

1. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I think it's safe to say I'll read neither. I was happy with Thrawn's taunting of Mara in TTT with "you weren't his only Hand" because I thought it said a lot about Palpatine and something about Mara too. But it seems that's basically been retconned as "Thrawn talking out of his arse". Which is a shame.

I thought Thrawn wasn't as bad as I'd been expecting in Outbound Flight, since everyone talks about how his reputation's been embellished as the books go on.

And I've seen it said that Mara's reputation gets more and more whitewashed. I even found that conversation about whether she was using the Dark side in HOT to be a little galling.

Maybe I'll stick to reading other books...

2. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I have a problem with it mostly because it gives fan fiction a bad name. A lot of it is actually quite good. "A lot", or I just have a well-honed ability to set the wheat from the chaff without actually reading a little first.

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Hü? How so? There are 14 know ones and easily still more of them around.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The bit that was Thrawn being deceptive, wasn't "other hands" but:

"You were little more than a glorified courier." (Or possibly "specialized courier").

And that's made clear even in Dark Force Rising to be dubious- since Mara can get into the Chimera's computer so easily due to back-door codes for the Emperor and his top agents.

(I think Zahn's also stated that Mara's ability to hear the Emperor from across the galaxy was clarified, by Lucasfilm, to be unique to her, in an interview.

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Jeng Droga could apparently also do it.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That was probably introduced after aforesaid interview.

7. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    I actually enjoyed Alliegience. I saw nothing wrong with the novel. I really liked the "Hand of Judgment" it was a cool storyline. Zahn may have lost a bit since Del Rey took over, but he still does more good then bad in the novels he writes.

GrandMasterKatarn and JediMara77 like this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I found Allegiance to be dull, sadly. It was probably the first SW book I didn't enjoy, which is saddening somewhat as it was a Zahn one.

Or Death Star. Whichever came first.

9. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    The only series I read was Outbound flight and Trawn trilogy. Outbound flight is easily one of the best Star Wars books i ever read. I loved the incompetent nervous padawan Lorena and her character development, easily one of the most tragic and sympathetic characters in all of Star Wars.

10. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Really? My bad. That's good.