main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"hall of fame" forum proposal - Announcement November 9

Discussion in 'Communications' started by deltron_zero, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    i've seen this done other places. what it would be is a place to move all the classic threads that have seemingly run their course. the jcc's top 100 threads, jc essentials, and the index would be good places to start. i wouldn't want to take any of the great threads that are still active out of the jcc, but this could breathe new life into some of the classics that have sunk into oblivion.

and it wouldn't have to be limited to jcc threads. threads like this and this and this and many many more that currently lie dormant in inactive forums could be resurrected. it would be a great place for newbies to catch up on jc history and for odbies to wax nostalgic.

anyway i'm not on a crusade or anything, it's just an idea. if you guys think it's dumb i won't be sad.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I like the concept, but I worry about how the "criteria" would be established. Any thoughts?

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I really, really like the idea. I'm interested in hearing the details get fleshed out, both by you and others.

4. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    The FF and JC admins created an archive for old MS and RSA promotion polls, important threads removed from forums, etc. Is an archive type forum what you're talking about? I think the idea has definite potential.

5. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I don't think its a good idea.

6. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    an active archive forum of sorts. i think people should be allowed to post in the threads, though it's doubtful that the forum would get more than a few posts per day.

i think the criteria should be up to whoever is chosen to moderate the forum. so you'd want to pick current moderators or new people whose opinions you trust and who have a good sense of jc history. people could pm the moderators with suggestions but ultimately it would be up to them to decide which threads are worthy.

you could also create a group of respected jcers to vote on threads, but i don't think it's something that needs to be that complicated.

7. Wilderness_Comedian

Wilderness_Comedian Jedi Youngling star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    The idea kinda sucks. It would just give some posters self importance and make them even more arrogant.

8. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    i really don't see that happening.

9. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Surely there's a better way for you to say that... o_O

10. Grand_Admiral_Grant

Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 30, 2004
    This surely has potential.

I'd rather see such a new forum as a read-only forum so these classic threads wont get spammed with newer posts and simply remain what they are. Discussion regarding these threads can take place in any other forum. Perhaps the census forum can play a role in the voting for which thread(s) go into that forum.

11. Wilderness_Comedian

Feb 5, 2005
    These forums have enough lists.

12. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    i'm kind of torn on the read-only thing. i don't think the threads would get "spammed" and i think leaving them open might bring a few oldbies back into the posting fold. what makes the threads great will always be there, i don't think new posts would violate their sanctity or anything. you could try it open, and if it did get be a problem make it read-only.

edit:

yeah. a read-only forum would really be no different than an index.

13. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    As an alternative we could choose threads from all forums based on some agreed upon criteria and mark them "hall of fame" or historical some way, (like the infamous Comms tags) and Index them in here.

14. Wilderness_Comedian

Feb 5, 2005
    But it's just the "JCC Part II". a read only forum is just another archive.

15. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    hardly the jcc part 2 as you wouldn't be able to create new topics and you'd have 50 great threads out of 50 instead of 2 great threads out of 50.

16. Wilderness_Comedian

Feb 5, 2005
    Eh, whatever. I think it's just a waste of space. Most of the people who would care are gone, and the new people would rather create new threads.

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    There's a technical issue with having old threads available for update. Old threads autolock after 6 months without a post. Mods can unlock them but if no one posts that day then the job that does the autolocking will just lock the thread the next time it runs. (I am pretty sure it runs nightly). So if we move a bunch of old threads into an archive forum, we will either have to unlock them and post in every one or install an unlock system. (Either a thread where users request the unlocking or they'd have to PM a mod to do it). It's not an insurmountable issue but it would need to be taken into account if we allowed updates to the threads.

18. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    And if we did it, we'd not limit them to coming from one forum, there's plenty of classics between JCC, Comms, the movie forums, Games, Lit, Senate, Amph...etc.

19. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    so there's no way to turn the auto-locker off for a particular forum?

20. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    The point against, I think, is that sometimes it's good to have old threads rear their heads in the JCC once in a while. Posts that come after the move would register as 'different' somehow, and it's a bit like you're putting a stopper on the threads natural evolution. They become museum pieces instead of legitimate threads.

EDIT: But then, I suppose that would only really apply to JCC threads... which can keep a 'reason for being' for a whole lot longer than threads from movie forums.

21. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    What if you moved them and left them in their locked state, and if someone wanted to revive one for new posts, they could PM the "hall of fame" moderator to request an unlock/bump. That might block some spamming?

22. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    i don't disagree. i guess the question is whether museum pieces are a good thing or a bad thing. i foresee that for many of threads any future discussion would be discussion of the thread itself.

i don't know about the threads "natural evolution" though. that's almost like "don't mess with the fates". i would see the move as part of the the thread's evolution, not something against it.

you could also argue that the natural evolution of all those threads in the inactive prequel forums has been cut short.

23. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Having those open and filled up with "lol" and "I <3 this thread" takes something away from them. Then they get off topic and become chat threads (what happens when they start sucking, you move them out?)

Even if they did stay on-topic, how much discussion can you have about a thread? Its so meta.

I also don't think there is enough interest. The Essential Reading never gets updates, and the top 100 threads didn't get much support.

Then theres all the rules and regulations that would have to be implemented. What goes in, what kind of posts are allowed, etc. I don't think its a good idea to add a whole subset of rules to this site when we don't even have a working base set.

I like the idea of saving them and trying to get others interested, but I think it could be handled without a whole new forum. The Top 100 was a great idea. How about something like a hosted "Classic Thread of the Day discussion" thread (I think someone had this once, SOTS?)

24. Wilderness_Comedian

Feb 5, 2005
    I know you guys love these old threads, but I'd rather have them in memory, rather than some place where you can just go read them. Sometimes you have to move forward and create some new threads rather than revisiting the past all the time.

25. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    that's a pessimistic view flare, but i concede that you might be right. you could just have a simple no spamming rule though. since "lol" and "i <3 this thread" should be givens for any thread in the forum, that type of post would be disallowed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.