"hall of fame" forum proposal - Announcement November 9

Discussion in 'Communications' started by deltron_zero, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    Boogie, are you thinking that we archive/lock all threads and just have one thread to discuss them in? Or am I misinterpreting your example?

Also, I think the annotated index is a great idea.
  2. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yes, although I absolutely agree that if there is a serious argument for unlocking a thread for fresh posting, it shouldn't be dismissed out-of-hand.
  3. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    Wasn't the appeal of this forum that people would be able to participate in the great historic threads of the past?

Could we opt for locking some special ones that warrant it, but keep most unlocked? Or is that a bad idea?
  4. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I know there has been a 'move-thread' option for a while - don't suppose there's a copy thread option too, that would allow a copy of a HOF thread to be put in a HOF forum and still leave the original in its original place?

if not, it could be done artificially by copying the thread in its entirety to an off-site or TFn hosted section (I know, time consuming for long threads, but maybe there're some site-grabbers out there that could be configured to rip a whole thread?).
  5. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
    No, there is no such option here.
  6. Bacon164 Force Ghost

star 7
  7. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    And what, kill the thread permanently?
  8. SVAndrei Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Actually, i got an ideea: Allow the creation of a new version of the thread, clearly marked as a new version, and the first post can contain a link to the old thread.
  9. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    Doing something like that would create greater pressures at the top of the forum while the locked threads would be relegated and pushed back to the lower end of the forum, with the problem being exacerbated with each new 'classic' thread added in. To top it off, you'd have these newer threads not being posted in all the time as there is a limit to the amount of times people will post about it would dwindle when their previous replies would be only a short number of posts above. Added to this some threads would not be posted in for over 6 months and ending up being autolocked, looking exactly like the 'archived' threads do.
  10. SVAndrei Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I see. Well, i guess the only solution whould be unlocking them or preventing them from beeing locked in the forst place? Adding a feature that can "flag" certain topics to never lock up?
  11. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    Unfortunately we have no control over the locking. The threads are autolocked after 6 months without a post. If we unlock a thread and don't post to it, the thread will lock again the next time the autolock job is run. (It's a nightly job - part of the daily board maintenance jobs).
  12. SVAndrei Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  13. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    We'd like to take a moment to congratulate Dingo on being elected curator of the new Archives. We've created a private forum, and now we'll start the process of working with him on who team members should be, a name, technical issues, criteria, path forward, timeline, etc. Congrats, Dingo!
  14. The_Face Ex-Manager

star 5
    Great choice. :D Congratulations, Dingo!
  15. Gabri_Jade VIP

VIP
    star 5
    I don't think you could choose anyone better suited for the job. Congratulations, Dingo! :D
  16. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Why, it's just what someone suggested!

Congrats! :)
  17. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    Too bad we couldn't pick somebody who knew something about JCC history or something.

Congrats Dingo!
  18. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    Gratz! It'll be interesting to watch this realized.
  19. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Good news. It's very odd to see Dingo in red, though. Perhaps he could whip out his old colours while no-one was looking. :p
  20. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    this sounds cool... any idea how long it'll take for it to be up and running? Or is it too early to tell at this point? :p
  21. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    I can't speak for Dingo, but I don't think putting team members into place will take long, it'll be more criteria of the threads and the actual testing and then moving them before going live.
  22. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    We need to get Dingo a cardigan.

EDIT: It's at times like this I get so sad about the number of 3SA threads that disappeared.
  23. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    you'll need to explain the septics what a cardigan is

in other news - congrats Dingo :) great choice :)
  24. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Cardigans are the coolest things.
  25. Jada Chapter Rep Charlotte, NC

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Why are we putting a wild creature known for eating babies in charge of the archives? And does this make Dingo the Jocasta Nu of the JC?

;)
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.