main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL Halloween Horror Nights 14

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Darth Ludicrous, Oct 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    it was kickass. Lots to drink definitely. I don't think it was as creepy as in previous years, but the layout was pretty good. ALso,the corn maze wasn't what I thought it would be, it was jst a normal scare zone with corn and scarecrows and bloody rednecks with chainsaws.
    Castle Vampyr was the best haunted house.
    There were some awesome makeup effects in some of the haunted houses, especially in Castle Vampyr and the Wax Horrors haunted houses. The best were the ghoulish stripper girls dancing at the front of the park when you first come in. They were hot and ugly at the same time if that is possible.
    I missed the scare zone around Jurrasic Park,but not the haunted house. A lot of the haunted houses this year utilized the studio's sound stages and a lot of the event and scare zones were in the backlot between the two parks. Also,it isn't shown on the map, but DUeling Dragons was open and only had a 10 minute wait because it wasn't advertised. We rode both. Hulk not surprisingly makes a better rollercoaster than a movie as well.
    Also there's a parade of the Bizarre. I got tons of beads, some of them have skulls.
    The Bill & Ted show was kick ass again this year. The plot is that Dr. Evil and Montgomery Burns had Darth Vader kidnap Bush and Kerry so that they may become President and Vice President of the United States. A lot of hot chicks and a lot of cameos by this years pop culture icons.
    Definitely a fun time. Oh and Express Passes are worth every penny.

2. JEDI_MISFIT138

JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Sounds cool. It's funny, I've lived here for eleven years and I still haven't been to it yet, and Halloween is my favorite day of the year. This year will be the one when I finally go, because my fiancee has never been either and she's really into Halloween as well. Hope it's good.

3. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I may skip school next Wednesday and go. Maybe.

L8r

4. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    So you'll skip school to hang out at work, but not with the System...? :)

5. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    Well, if there's a test scheduled, I obviously can't miss class. And I just found out there is a test next Wednesday, so I'm not going to HHN, so there! :p

L8r

6. raiza123

raiza123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    I have NEVER been to HHN. I'm not sure I'm missing much. Some people tell me I'd be scared witless and be a basket case, others have told me that its almost as bland as the Haunted Mansion at MK.
    Either way, I prefer to dress up and go to a party with friends that night. Anyone have any interesting plans this year for Halloween?
    Melanie

7. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    It's not as bland as the Haunted Mansion in the Magic Kingdom. I'm not an easily scared person, so I don't find any of it scary, but lots of people come every year, so I suppose it freaks some people out. There are 7 haunted houses, the Bill and Ted show (which is usually funny), some rides are open and there's a crappy parade. The haunted houses are usually cool though. They put some stuff together you probably won't see anywhere else. It's worth going. And it's obviously on more nights than just Halloween, so if you're curious I'd recommend going.

L8r

8. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
    I am going to break my own rule and post here again. I will ask for forgiveness later, but this topic demands my attention.

Halloween Horror Nights is one of the **only** things in all of Florida that is worth doing each year. It is beyond a tradition, it is now part of Florida's heritage. Yes, I'd go that far!

All by itself, it has spawned so many imitations nationwide that it has earned a place in the history books. And, now, it is entering it's 14th year.

I have gone for the past eight years and loved every single one of them. I only had one "bad" year, and that was not strictly because of the event. This was, if memory serves, about three years ago.

I think people, sadly, expect TOO much out of it. It is not there strictly to scare people. The fun of it is being scared and just enjoying the entire atmosphere of the event.

Speaking of being "scared," though, I have gone with a wide variety of people, and not once, EVER, has someone not "jumped" or "twitched" at least once or twice during the night. I have never left it freaking out, going crazy, or thinking, "I've never been more scared in my life!" I do leave, though, thinking, "That was just an amazing evening, and I cannot wait for next year. I had a ton of fun."

Are there problems? Yes, but that is not the event itself. Sadly, many people attend in groups. Groups tend to think they are "cool" and need to stand out, especially towards the end of the night when everyone is drunk. The average age is, uhm, probably 21-30 or so. Many of the people have that fraternity mentality in that being loud, annoying, drinking, putting girls on their shoulders, yelling at people, and countless other things are considered "part of the fun." Thankfully the police presence is greater every year, but they need to be allowed to use lethal force against those types.

Still, just walking around is a blast, especially if you attend with a good person or persons. Yes, some years are stronger than others, but in no way, shape, or form has a single year been a waste of money.

Bragging moment: my sister is an office super manager of sorts there, and I get nearly free tickets AND passes to skip lines for all hauntes houses. I know that the lines can, sometimes, be two hours (even an hour is long), but I get in in about two minutes. :) Bragging moment over.

I have not gone this year just yet. Plans are still in flux, being formulated. Things are not going as swimmingly as they should, but I hope to get it worked out soon. Still, for the price they want, even full price, it will be well worth it. Go, take your camera, and just have a good time. Just don't get into ANY altercations or you'll end up in the 33rd St. jail. :)

Brandon

9. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    I'll probably end up going on a Sunday or Thursday sometime. I don't know when yet.

L8r

10. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    my friend works at the Royal Pacifica and gets us passes each year too.

The BOOZE is part of the fun. It helps you be more scared and get in the state of mind that makes it believable.

Also, this isn't like some dinky college dorm sponsored haunted house. These have real production values. The makeup effects alone are professional tv/movie quality. DOn't believe me? Check out the ghoulish vampire stripper girls at the front of the park when you first come in. that is some damn good make up and facial prosthetics for those effects.

11. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    I hate to nitpick, but I can only hear this mistake so many times before I burst. The hotel is the Royal Pacific Resort. Not the Royal Pacifica. I hear that all the time and I don't know where people get it. Certainly not from any of the signage on property.

Thank you.

12. JediScout

JediScout Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    When are we going Brandon?

13. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    Well, if you all feel that it is a "must see, shouldn't miss event" then perhaps I need to rethink my position on not going. Are they already sold out for the weekend nights or do you think I could still get tickets?
    Melanie

14. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    I haven't heard of any sold out nights yet. If you love crowds, go on a Friday or Saturday. If you don't love crowds, try going on another night.

L8r

15. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I had really hoped to try HHN last year. The 13th seemed like the right time to start. Since I missed it I lost all interest. I want to give a damn about Halloween because it seems like the sort of thing I'd love, and most of my friends count it as their favorite holiday. But me, I'm just not that into it. Maybe it's because as an adult I always have to work it, and maybe it's also that I've never gone to a good Halloween party (though I watched one of Charlie Brown's for many years). So for those who are really excited, and even those that want to check it out, I hope HHN lives up to your expectations, but short of an unexpected free night and a free ticket, it's not a venture I'll be joining. -Campbell

16. Solo_but_not_alone

Solo_but_not_alone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2004
    I'll be there this sunday (17th) if anyone else is gonna be there let me know. I have an annual pass so I go in early for the soft open. Some other friends of mine may be going as well, but hey...why not see if strange people I've never met before are headed there?

I like strange people.

Lemmie know if yer headed that way on that day.

17. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    Never did go & now that we're down to the end, I probably won't. Yet, another year I didn't do HHN.
    Melanie

18. JediScout

JediScout Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    Im going tonight with a groupd of people. I have a friend that has two tickets for sale for 25 each. Let me know if anyone wants them. Just call me.

Dale

19. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I have not went yet. But my brother says there are too many drunks and even some pot smoking. I'll ened up going next year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.