main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Halloween Party

Discussion in 'Archive: Idaho Falls, ID' started by Oscar_the_Gungan, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscar_the_Gungan

Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    Just thought I'd start a thread on what activities people would like for Halloween. It falls on a Friday this year. In year's past we had a costume party at the library and last year we played laser tag and a few other things.
    I'm crossing my fingers the Edwards gets the new Ridley Scott director's cut of the original Alien. It is suppose to be released on Halloween. I know that film isn't up everyone's alley but those interested can plan a late night viewing after whatever activity is planned.

2. nordicgal

nordicgal Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    I'm pretty much up for just about anything, but since it's usually cold on Halloween, why don't we have an indoor gathering? We could meet in the library's big room. We could bring our own decorations, jack-o-lanterns, and food. We could have a costume contest, play games, and watch movies (family-friendly ones). I, for one, could volunteer spooky SpongeBob cartoons and the Charlie Brown Halloween episode.

Just my 2 cents worth!! [face_devil]

3. nordicgal

Mar 12, 2002
    Ooooooooooooooo - What about a jack-o-lantern contest?

BTW - What would we do about prizes???? ?[face_plain]

4. RABIDJAWA

RABIDJAWA Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    Since Halloween is usually very busy, what's the concensus about having it some other day? People (not me personnally, but other folks) might have other events they want to attend.

5. jedi5150

jedi5150 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 4, 2000
    Hey Adam! Good to see you on the board again!

Laura and I had the library "pencil us in" for the evening of Oct 31, but we can decide as a club at our meeting this Friday night if that's what we want to do, or if we want to move it. I'm for either, but as you say, other folks may have plans...also, if we started at 7 or so, folks could come for a while and then go if they wanted, to do other things....I think......

:)

6. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    I was hoping to talk a sizable portion of the group to attend the Mall's treat or treat with me. In addition to the stores handing out candy, many IF businesses pass out free coupons to get customers (I got some free karate lessons last year). We could walk around passing out flyers while in full costume. I will be an X wing that night and the wife is leaning towards jedi, but a group of 5-10 jedi walking around en masse would be killer. We could even buy our own bulk candy and pass it out. These public relations stunts are great ways to get ourselves members.

For those of you who are self conscious, or havent dressed up since you were 12, I can guarentee that at the Mall on Halloween, ANYTHING goes. Last year I saw a full blue Mr. Freeze and 70's Elvis, both of whom were over 30.

This event only lasts 2 hours, in the early evening, so the rest of the night is wide open.
    I would vote to have any party of ours on a seperate night, as I had embryo plans to go to Pocatello that night.

7. nordicgal

Mar 12, 2002
    OK. Yesterday Doug suggested I check all the movies and videos I have that may be appropriate for a family-friendly Halloween party, so I thought I'd post my list here, if anyone cares.

As I mentioned before, I have the Charlie Brown Halloween video and tons of spooky SpongeBob videos. I also have 3 Pooh-Bear videos (Spookable Pooh, Frankenpooh, & Boo to You Too), Disney's The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad, and 2 full-length movies (Monsters, Inc. & The Nightmare Before Christmas). Any of these movies would be suitable for children.

As for when we hold the party, I'm open to suggestions, but my personal opinion is that Halloween parties held after Halloween just aren't as much fun. We can decide tomorrow night, however, as a group.

8. Boskone_Kenobi

Feb 15, 2002
    I have had to watch Monsters Inc about once a day for year, ever since my little girl figured out how to use the DVD player.

Nightmare... I could never quite figure out where to put it. Too many scary things for a Xmas movie, too much Santa for a Halloween movie.

I would like to recommend something not necessarily aimed right at the ten and younger crowd (not everyone will bring kids to this party after all).
    THis time of year, cable TV is overflowing with ghost and Bigfoot documentaries. Watching those in a darkened room is a forgotten terrifying pleasure of staying up late in childhood, yet completely G rated. I have Legend of Boggy Creek on DVD (a cult Bigfoot documentary fave), and it scared the begeezzus out of a generation of drive-in patrons in the early 70's.

9. Ariadnae1

Ariadnae1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2003
    I know this is crappy of me, but I want to go trick or treating, watch scary movies, and have some fun. I am all for dressing up, and the mall thing would be a good kid activity. The scary movies could be a good grown-up activity. Since I do not have kids, you might think this is selfish of me. Sorry.

Erin

10. Boskone_Kenobi

Feb 15, 2002
    Having fun is never crappy. GOing trick or treating is at the top of my list. Get those costumes ready by Halloween people, and we will TAKE OVER the mall! A whole mob of Star Wars ambience rolling down the hall.
    We wil have someone video tape it so we can watch and enjoy for years to come.

11. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    Some time that night, I'm going to Alien: The Director's Cut. Probably the latest showing possible, so I can be at the party as long as possible. If there is a 10 p.m. or 11 p.m. I'm freaking there.

12. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    Actually, Alien got bumped to the 29th so I will hit at after class that night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.