VIDEO Halo 4

Discussion in 'Games' started by Darth_Invidious, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    So...yeah...

I see nobody here talking about it even though it's going head to head with Assasin's Creed 3 as the killer app of these holidays (at least from my point of view).

Is anybody still a fan of the series? Are you getting it? Or just a little excited about it? Reach did a lot to kill my love for the franchise. And even though I'm not sure about the look of this new Halo or how capable 343i is of standing up to -- let alone outdo -- Bungie in handling the franchise, I'm starting to feel an itch that may need some scratching come November.

So, discuss!
  2. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I'm excited for it. Reach is one of my favourites in the series, mostly because it's Halo but not Master Chief. I liked that a lot about it. I haven't read the book so I don't know how different they are so I don't care about that, but I really enjoyed it.

343 seem very capable, at least in terms of graphics. Halo Anniversary was really good in terms of graphics, so we at least know that Halo 4 will look good. I'll have to wait and see how the story plays out before I can comment on that, but a new direction is sometimes good. As long as it still feels like a Halo game it'll be great. I'm not sure the multiplayer needs any kind of back story to explain why the reds are fighting the blues. The story they came up with makes sense but I don't think it was needed.
  3. Zeta1127 Force Ghost

star 4
    I am seriously considering getting Halo 4 when it's released, even though I don't have multiplayer set up. I really like what I am seeing with the new weapons and enemies.

I want to get Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, since it's one of the few ways to go back and time and play Halo: Combat Evolved. I am already quite pleased with myself, since I finally beat Halo 3 on Legendary a few days ago.
  4. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Er...how can you not have MP set up. You mean you don't have a Gold subscription?

Though I originally didn't want anything to do with it, I found myself with cash to burn late last year and bought HCE: Anniversary. It is something of a mixed bag. The facelift with the Reach engine definitely improves the look of the nearly 12 year old game, though the crew of the Pillar and the Marines-suddenly-turned-into-Reach/UNSC-army-troopers will definitely look weird. The Covenant and Flood baddies definitely improved with the facelift. The Reach achievements were definitely fun to get, as well as the addition of terminals and skulls (and yeah, if you turn on a few skulls, you have the next best thing to god mode in a Halo game; just be careful when lobbing those grenades). But as far as multiplayer went, it was still Reach, tweaked just a bit in the designated playlist to make you think you were playing CE MP.
  5. Zeta1127 Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't have internet for my Xbox or a Gold subscription.
  6. BLemelisk Force Ghost

star 4
    I was actually thinking about making a 4 thread the other day as I haven't seen one.

But yes, I'm very excited. I still have to get down to GameStop and change my preorder to the Limited Edition.

I don't like where the story is going with the Forerunner, but I'll give 343 the benefit of the doubt at least for this installment.
  7. Spazmatron Jedi Master

star 3
    I love Halo. I was very happy with the Halo 3 ending because it ended the way it began, with Chief going in and out of cyro sleep. Halo 1 began with him being woken up because they needed him, and it ended with him floating off into space saying "wake me.... when you need me..." So I really liked that ending, and I would prefer if they focused around the hundreds of other battles which were in this 50 year war, but, who knows... We will have to wait and see how well they can do with Halo 4.
  8. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    I guess what I'm really mostly curious about is what's going to happen to Cortana, what with her rampancy and all. As my icon shows, I'm a sucker for AIs going off the deep end.
  9. Sinrebirth SWC and EUC Forum Moderator

Manager
    star 7
    I'm more curious as to these new enemies, it's on my Christmas list for some unlucky smuck to buy for me :p
  10. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I've got the Limited Edition on preorder, and I'm hoping to get the console for birthday and Christmas combined. :cool:

But yeah, new bad guys are good, and I love the look of them from what I've seen. My only fear is that the flood is back as I really hate the flood. It seems they won't be in it but do feature in the backstory, which is fine by me.
  11. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    The Flood is back...but supposedly in multiplayer only (it'd certainly make the Zombie playlist more interesting). I kinda doubt the Flood will be in the campaign because the action mostly takes place in a Forerunner Shield World populated by nasty Prometheans that in all likelihood would not allow any Flood forms to exist. At all. Besides, with the smattering of unreconstructed Covies plus Prometheans to fight, adding a third faction to fight would definitely be a bit of overkill (though it'd make sitting out battles and watch the three-way fights all kinds of awesome).
  12. BLemelisk Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm intrigued about the Spartan Ops campaign because it continues past the end of 4's main campaign. I'd like to see the discovery of another Halo in it; the games are missing something when you can't look up and see the other side of the ring high in the sky.
  13. BLemelisk Force Ghost

star 4
    Sorry for the double post, but "Scanned" has premiered!

14. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Sweet trailer...I so wish I could feel really enthused about this game though...
  15. BLemelisk Force Ghost

star 4
    It really is a good trailer. I'm waiting with bated breath to see if they can keep the mystery of the Forerunner going the way Bungie had crafted it.
  16. DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Anyone watching the Forward Unto Dawn webseries? It's well done setting-wise, though I'm not quite sold on some of the actors being in training to be ODSTs. Eps 1 & 2 are kinda slow, exposition-y stuff, but the last 5 or so minutes of Ep 3 is pretty much perfect live-action Halo :cool:
  17. Chewgumma Chosen One

star 7
    I was worried the CGI was going to look terrible, but I was proven wrong. It's got some very solid visuals so far. FUD is pretty entertaining overall, I may get the blu-ray release as well as the digital download copy that comes with the Halo 4 collector's set, but only if the on-disc version has some decent extras. I'm interested to see how they made this little series.
    Last edited by Chewgumma, Oct 21, 2012
  18. Zeta1127 Force Ghost

star 4
    I am watching Forward Unto Dawn, just caught up on part three today.
  19. BLemelisk Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah episode 3 is solid gold. Plus the preview for next week's episode looks great.

They got the feel of the chaos of a surprise attack nailed.
    Zeta1127 likes this.
  20. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Haven't seen part 3 for FUD yet, but it's been good so far. I have a question though. I thought the collector's edition of Halo 4 had a physical copy of it and not a download copy. Can someone confirm/deny/etc?
  21. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    I've enjoyed FUD so far but Ep. 3 was definitely the best yet. I particularly enjoyed the schizo Rampant Corty prologue. Extremely creepy and poignant at the same time, if only to show just how far John's only friend had gone off the deep end.
    BLemelisk likes this.
  22. Mustafar_66 Force Ghost

star 5
    Disappointed to see that Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori aren't doing the soundtrack for Halo 4. Probably my stand-out memory from the series is their score for the games, which have been superb.
  23. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Probably because they are still (?) Bungie employees, whereas Halo 4 is not a Bungie production.
  24. BLemelisk Force Ghost

star 4
    The less electronica the better, I say. What I've listened to has sounded pretty decent, but I don't know if it will have the sticking power that O'Donnell's scores have had.
  25. Mustafar_66 Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah, that was my guess. Still disappointing.