main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Halo Movie and Halo3

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthMaul32, Oct 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Hmm. Peter Jackson involved with a Halo flick. That would be intriguing in and on its own. At the very least, it might mean that the movie won't suck. And seeing that Peter likes to keep his leads from LOTR in his new flicks (Elijah in Kong), it might also mean we could have a more than competent guy wearing the Mjolnir armor. Hint: he's played a Master Chief before opposite Demi Moore. That would be oh so sweet.

3. TerranOvermind

TerranOvermind Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2004
    I'm not sure Viggo Mortenson could pull off the deep voice and cold, all business attitude of Halo's Master Chief. In G.I. Jane, sure he was tough, but deep down he had emotions behind his actions much like Aragorn. His voice kind of fades away to regret and contemplation while Master Chief's is more monotone and straight to the point.

If they just stick to the guy who has done his voice for the games, they should be fine.

4. BroodingLion

BroodingLion Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 14, 2004
    Yeah, just get a guy with the right size and physicality to wear the armor. If they need to show him helmet-less, I think they could just dub like they did with Maul in TPM. I doubt the guy'd complain. I mean, he gets to be the Chief!

Same thing with Cortana - I think they should use Jen Taylor for voice, and just make a really great CG model instead of bringing in an actual actress.

That leaves Sgt. Johnson to be played "regularly," though...

5. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    halo 3 is announced , but halo 2 for pc isn't...does this mean its not coming o0ut on it?

6. BroodingLion

BroodingLion Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 14, 2004
    That is odd...

7. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    Did you guys hear about the allegded script for Halo 3 that got leaked?! I'm reading it right now and this thing really checks out! It's also 118 pages long! If it's a fabrication they sure put a hell of a lot of effort into it and even if it is a fake it still has excellent merits as fanfiction. I probably shouldn't post this here so just ask through a PM and I think I could send it to you.

8. StormTrooper1776

StormTrooper1776 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    I want Peter Jackson to direct it.Wouldn't it be dumb for him to just be the producer and the movie becomes a major hit then some director of it would get all the praise for it.

Do you think there gonna base the weapons,the creatures,etc.from the first game or the second game,or just new stuff?

9. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I'm not sure Viggo Mortenson could pull off the deep voice and cold, all business attitude of Halo's Master Chief.

As far as the games go, I don't think the Chief's voice is either deep or cold. If anything, it's kind of bland. Kinda like Wolverine's voice in most of the games he's been in: just not 100% perfect. And the all-business, obedient-robot-soldier attitude evident in the novels is a bit absent in the games, where the MC's attitude and personality is completely dependant on the player. Heck, some of the best cutscenes in the games involving the Chief often contain some moments of levity (i.e., when he's first 'ported into High Charity and says "boo" to a Grunt). It all depends on how the character is scripted. The Chief is a man of few words and a lot of action and I guess Viggo can pull that off rather nicely. And, unfortunately, the game's MC is a bit of a cypher, since the player is meant to BE the MC. So if a bit of Aragorn and that other Master Chief leaks into the role, I really wouldn't mind at all.

As for Sgt. Johnson, I was thinking the other day about Will Smith, but then he'd probably overshadow whoever plays the Chief. Keep in mind that Johnson is a blatant nod towards the gruff NCO in "Aliens", and everybody in the audience who has seen that movie will know that and think of Halo as yet another Aliens-wannabe. Maybe it'd be best if the character was kept out of the movie completely and replaced with someone else.

10. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    Master Chief isn't a novel adaptation, the books adopted their own character and twisted it a little for themselves. The game perception of the chief is the official canon.

11. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    What if the guy who does the voice isn't physically fit to play the role?

I mean, there can be no doubt about it that Kevin Conroy is the best Batman ever. But he's never played Batman in a live-action role.

12. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    Why can't people get it through their heads that anyone can fill the suit while they need to get Steven Downes to do a VO.

13. TerranOvermind

Mar 30, 2004
    It has been suggested in other forums that perhaps the best method would be to forget a live-action movie with real actors and make instead an all-CGI one (e.g. Advent Children). It would be easier to stay true to the game that way and use all the VO actors in the game. Also, with the technology today, especially after seeing Advent Children, the movie could be made to look much more realistic and cool than live-action. The live-action movie would use a few real actors and put them against blue screens for most of the time anyway. Why not eliminate that element and avoid the possible and almost utter failure of the likes of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow(I liked this movie, by the way, for its graphics, but like most of the world, was disappointed in the actors' performance)

14. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    Espically considering one of the actors in the film have been dead for quite some time...

15. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    Espically considering one of the actors in the film have been dead for quite some time...

? :confused:

16. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    Wrong Jedi_Hunter, it was officially confirmed. Peter Jackson is directing Halo. It was in the major papers and Bungie did confirm it.

17. Therren_Cragan

Therren_Cragan Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2005
    Before anyone starts ragging on me, I just want to let you all know that what I'm about to say is my PERSONAL OPINION. In my opinion, Halo isn't as great as everyone says. A movie would be cool and I'm sure Halo 3 will be fun, but I think Half-Life is more deserving of a movie and the such. I just think that the story was more entertaining in HL than Halo and that it would make a better movie.

As for Viggo being the Master Cheif I dont think thats a good idea. May as well get a guy in a suit and have the guy from the game do the voice, kinda like what they did with Vader.

18. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    WRONG

He's executive producer. Not director. And the executive producer, usually has very little to do with the creative side of movies.

EDIT:
    Hear Hear! Half Life > Halo. But in making a HL movie, it wouldnt be made in the way that it should. Gordon Freeman would have to be shown and heard from which doesnt happen in the games, and it would have to be in FPS, which wouldnt be good for a movie, IMO.

19. Therren_Cragan

Therren_Cragan Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2005
    Wow...I've spent way too much time in the stupid Yahoo chat rooms. I expected the first reply to be some rant about how I'm an idiot for having an opinion that Halo isn't as good as Half-Life. Anyways, I suppose you're right about that, it would be tough and a first person perspective would be horrible for a movie. But if they wanted they could go with one of the stories or even weave the three first stories together (the first three stories being HL, Op. Force and Blue Shift). Still, as with ANY videogame movie, you really must have the right people to make it truly good. Doom, for example, is going off of a completely different story from the games. Instead of the monsters being demons from Hell, they're genetic mutations that broke loose in the military station/lab on phobos or whatever area of mars they'll have it in.

20. Crackyb00t

Crackyb00t Jedi Youngling

Oct 11, 2005
    Im sick of Halo this movie is going to suck and the new game is too...

21. Mandalorian-Guy

Mandalorian-Guy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2002
    Curse you with the curses of Covenant, Earth, the Forerunners, the Flood, 343GuiltySpark, and Star Wars too.:mad:

Were do I sign up? I'm 6'7", 250 lbs, and have a 39 inch reach. I'd be great in the suit and would dwarf the other actors quite well. :D

22. TerranOvermind

Mar 30, 2004
    Did anyone hear a troll? Hm, must have just been my imagination.

Oh, Mandalorian Guy, if that's true, by all means contact BioWare and see about it. That would be awesome to play that part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.