main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Halo: Reach" - Speculation, hopes and discussion.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Kakkay, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kakkay

Kakkay Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Description: Halo Reach is a Sci-Fi First-Person Shooter game, developed by Bungie Software and published by Microsoft Game Studios, scheduled to be released in 2010.

Official website/ Trailer: Bungie.net "Halo: Reach" trailer

I'm seriously excited about this game. Ever since ODST was announced I knew there was bound to be more games, but something based on "The Fall of Reach"/ "First Strike"???? I'm stupidly excited. I love Halo with a passion, heck, I prefer it to Star Wars. But this is something else!

As for speculation, I think it's going to be about the Spartan's splitting up. With one group defending the generators, and one group at CASTLE base.

I just hope there's squad commands! Man this is going to be great!

2. DarthSubZero

DarthSubZero Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    No, I do not want to download Silverlight.

As, you can see, I don't have any access to the trailer. What was it about?

3. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I wet my pants.

4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Ho-ly...frak.

I'm giddy with excitement at this. Guess Bungie's involvement with all thigs Halo is far from over.

5. Kakkay

Oct 11, 2005
    I know! They've truly made an iconic gaming franchise that will prbably live on forever.

It's truly the "Star Wars" of the gaming industry. I'm so proud to be a fan, and I've bought and played every Halo game the day it was released. Well... I got Halo 3 a fortnight early, but yeah. ;)

6. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Finnally the best Halo book gets a game. Should be good.:D

7. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Considering that the fall of Reach was a monumental battle with heavy space and ground-side action, the gameplay (and even protagonist) possibilities are enormous. Something a la Call of Duty -- with the action/missions jumping from one different soldier to another on different fronts -- would be a welcome change of pace from the standard Halo campaign. I'm certainly up for the chance to step into the Mjolnir armor of a different Spartan other than Sierra-117. And intriguing bit of the trailer is the last voice heard, where the Spartan refers to himself as Sierra-259(?). I assumed the numbering used for the Spartans ranged from the original 150 candidates "chosen" for the Spartan II program. So either the game is disregarding that particular fact established on the novel...or maybe we're hearing the voice of one of the more numerous Spartan III's?? Interesting, intriguing, and exciting nonetheless.

8. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    I hope it's just an error they correct in-game with the Sierra tag. And personally I'm hoping we lead Fred's(forgot his Sierra Tag) Squad. Fred/Kelly/etc would be absolutely awesome. What also intrigues me is that the Spartan's on Reach have no AI to help them (IIRC), only Halsey. So hopefully Halsey is in there somewhere, since they can use the same voice actor as Cortana.

I was hoping however Halo Wars 2 would figure around Reach(or the S3 program's exploits), since it's scale is so large of a battle. First Strike would have worked better for the smaller scale FPSHalo IMO.

I am definately loving the COD4 perspective jumping idea you said though.

Still giddy as all kriff that Reach is coming in any game form regardless.

9. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    The numbering thing might not be a gaffe at all. As somebody in one of B.net's threads posted, while Dr. Halsey may have only selected 75 out of 150 possible candidates for the first phase of the Spartan II program, it's quite possible the candidate pool might've been considerably larger, which might suggest there may have been more SpartanIIs with numbers higher than 150. The novel the Fall of Reach suggested there might have been a second class of Spartan IIs, which are not necessarily the inferior but far numerous Spartan IIIs.

10. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    What is Silverlight? And you don't need to download it. You can just open the trailer with other software, like the VLC player.

I don't see what the hype's about. The trailer showed nothing... :confused:

11. DarthSubZero

Nov 10, 2006
    I figured I had to download it to watch it, since it showed nothing.

Apparently not, though.

12. Kakkay

Oct 11, 2005
    Yeah...

... It's a teaser trailer. It's purpose is to tease. It does its job just fine, so quit whining.

13. DarthSubZero

Nov 10, 2006
    Never mind, saw it on YouTube.

14. RC-11

RC-11 Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2008
    It definately has the best story of the books and the game could be the best Halo game because of that.

15. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    Eric Nylund is a terrible writer and it's sad to see his that his work is so hyped up, bungie feels TFOR deserves its own game.

16. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I'll have to agree that Nylund's writing isn't the best. He's a bit too "Clancyish" in his description of the military tech, jargon, what-have-you associated with the Halo universe; almost to mind-numbing levels, making you want to skip all the description and have at least a page uninterrupted dialogue between characters. And his Spartans -- particularly John-117 -- come off as too robotic. However, the origin tale he -- along Bungie -- spun is a compelling one. And the prequel is a game that should be made, since there's definitely a good chunk of players who haven't picked up any of the books who probably wonder where the Pillar of Autumn escaped from right before the start of Halo: CE, and why is John-117 supposedly the "last" of his breed.

17. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008

You have played the games, right?

Agree with the rest though, but I don't mind Tom Clancy.

18. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    More than Nylund has. [face_laugh]

19. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I meant that, in the games, the Master Chief, though mostly silent, has a bit of a dry wit to him. Nylund's Master Chief is almost pure military "sir yes sir" automaton. A consummate professional, sure, but hardly the kind of hero you could empathize with.

I suppose there's possibly a point to be made that TFOR was written while Halo:CE was in development, and Nylund possibly didn't have a good idea of how the Master Chief should turn out as a character. So I guess in a sense he lightened up his Master Chief (if not, made him a bit more human) when he wrote "First Strike".

20. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Nylund's probably played the games even more than we have -- he started out at Microsoft back when the first Halo game was in development, and he's been a hardcore gamer all his life, doing stuff like co-writing the first Gears of War game with CliffyB.

21. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Here's IGN's article on what's known so far. Unfortunately, it's full of pretty much the same specualtion that has gone on here and elsewhere. Considering Bungie's reluctance to heavily emphatize on elements of any of the novels, I might be inclined to think that Sierra-259 or Noble One might be the protagonists of the game, not any of the first Class Spartans like Fred or Kelly.

22. Kakkay

Oct 11, 2005
    Fred and Kelly will probably make an appearence, at least.

Hopefully they'll include a 'training' section, where you play as one of the Spartan children.

23. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Yeah, I was about to say the same thing, re: the Spartan children. Maybe we'll get to see John himself not long after his arrival there. Though that would mean revealing his face to the world, and I doubt Bungie is willing to go that far.

Also, I may have misread it, but didn't Ghosts of Onyx state that the UNSC never got to train a second group of Spartan-IIs? Which is probably why the powers-that-be gave the okay to Ackerson's Spartan-III project.

Still...poor Bungie. They're rapidly becoming the next Kojima Studios -- roped/pigeonholed into one franchise. I sincerely hope that they get to branch out next year with a new IP, but seeing as how Microsoft has them by the balls, it might be a while before that happens.

24. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    I've interviewed him and talked to him on his blog. He doesn't play Halo beyond what he has to for research.

25. RC-11

RC-11 Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2008
    Getting back to talking about HALO:REACH, I wonder if we will be playing as one Spartan or many Spartans so we get a bigger picture of the scope of the battle (like the Call of Duty series).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.