main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Halo: Reach" - Speculation, hopes and discussion.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Kakkay, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    I just finished it for the first time... on Legendary...

My fingers are bleeding...:p

Now for some achievement hunting![face_dancing]

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, I just got to the final mission and when I saw that red Elite down at the base of the cliff I pretty much knew that was the chance to get it. However, I was more concerned with beating the mission than to waste time trying to get the cheevo so I gave up after three or so tries (then again, I'm playing on Legedary, which makes things already hard enough to begin with). I'll try a few more times on Easy after I beat the game.

Another cheevo that's been elusive is 'jacking a Banshee during campaign. I figure my best chance to do that is on Tip of the Spear...if only I could have Jorge not blow them all up before I could jack one of 'em.

3. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Tip of the Spear, right when you crest the hill and get ready to make your way to the top of the Spire. It's fairly easy since there are a pair of Banshees just floating around above you. Jorge never paid any attention to them when I did it, and if you still have your jetpack you can boost right up to one of them.

4. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    The AI in this game is seriously frustrating.

Don't get me wrong, it's improved for the enemies, but almost too much. To a super human level. On more than one occasion I'll be sniping an Elite from across the map and he suddenly turns toward me and begins evasive actions. From across the map. What the hell? On the other hand, Marines just drop like flies in the wake of a Covie attack. And ally driving/shooting skills suck amazing.

I do enjoy the fact that going back through the game and (I believe) turning scoring on gives you cR toward Spartan creation. I'm doing a Legendary run (more like speed walk, jeez) and I'm racking up 1,500 cR a map with some skulls on. That's awesome, even though I can average that in two 10 minute games, and beating a level on Legendary I average about 30/45 minutes. :p Oh well, I guess I just like not dealing with morons online.

5. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Tried that and did it. And you know what? The achievement didn't unlock! I must've rebooted the level twice and jacked the banshee two more times. I went and flew to the other one to jump off the one I was flying, jacked the one below me and nada, zip! Argh!

Another one that didn't unlock was "If you came to hear me beg..." at the beginning of the final chapter. I must've tried it 50 or so times before nailing the assasination not once, but three times! And no bleep-bloop! WTH?? Am I doing something wrong or are some of the achievements glitched?

I also beat the campaign on Legendary last night (got all the 'cheevos, thankfully), but for some reason, my campaign does not flow automatically from the end of one chapter to the next. So I didn't even get the final cutscene that recreates the beginning of Halo:CE before the credits. Everytime I'm on campaign I have to select the next chapter I want to play. Is there a way to disable this feature?

6. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I think I can help out; what setting was your game on for the Banshee? I thought it had to be a certain setting.

Also, for the Elite one, be sure to disengage the sprint after your jump; if you keep up with the sprint the game doesn't recognize it.

As help, there's a small video on the dashboard about these two 'cheevos specifically. Hope that helps, bro

7. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    Yeah, the assassination one is tricky because of how the sprint function works. If it's still engaged when you hit the ground, you don't take fall damage. Which means that after you jump, if even for a tiiiiny fraction of a second your player's feet have touched the ground before launching into the animaton, it won't count as a fall. That being said, I somehow managed it on my third jump. :p

8. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Argh. I know now why I wasn't getting the one for the Banshee: simply, I was playing on Easy (facepalm).

BEG still eludes me, this time because everytime I load up the level the Elite is simply too far from where I'm supposed to land. Either I'm not jumping off the cliff at the precise moment or the game is messing with me. [face_frustrated]

9. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Achievement conquered. Ahh, thank YouTube posters for showing me the way. :D

But still, thank you Bungie, for creating one of the most annoying 'cheevos ever. It's not quite as bad as that-other-shooter-franchise's Mile High Club, but I felt it took me almost as long to nail it.

10. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I'm slowly working on beating the campaign on Legendary. I just beat the third mission (which is inexplicably called the fourth mission when the achievement pops up). I hate Hunters.

11. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    For some reason Bungie counts the first intro custscene (Noble Actual) as a "mission". Go figure. In fact, you have to make sure you went through that on Legendary setting so that the solo achievement pops up at the end.

And yes, Hunters are insanely and ridiculously tough nuts to crack on Legendary. Your best bet is to have a shotty or any other plasma weapon ready and dance around them for a bit. If you have Noble AI teammates use them to create a distraction while you get good shots in.

12. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    If you can crack that back carapace-armour thing to expose more of the fleshy orange worms, it'll make your job a lot easier.

13. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I'm about halfway through my Legendary run. Have to say it's a real challenge, but I love the feeling of desperation as I struggle to survive...which is kind of bittersweet; aren't Spartans suppposed to be incredibly amazing, agile and powerful? But i get steamrolled by a couple Grunts and Jackals on Legendary. :p

If I can pull myself off RDR's x2 Experience weekend, I'll fninish this up.

Sidenote: did Jorge remind anyone else of Freddy Mercury? :p

14. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Ok, so it turned out that I never got the Halo Reach console bundle pack. So I'm wondering, is Reach totally worth full price, or should I wait for a price reduction before I get it?

15. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    In my opinion, it's worth the full $60 retail.

16. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
  17. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I'm not even the biggest Halo fan. Sure, I've been playing since Halo:CE on X-box, but this is easily their best Halo. The campaign clocks in at around 10 hours on Heroic, probably longer on Legendary. It's worth more than one play through to get extra "credits" to customize your Spartan. The MP is solid and fun, as is the Fire Fight and Forge feature. All around, solid game.

18. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    This was great--made me want to play the first one again, and for the first time, I'm actually interested a bit more in the back-story/halo universe. This is a great prequel. It also makes me wonder if they'll ever reveal anything about the shield world or whatever it was that 117 found at the end of Halo 3. I still want some catharsis! (now more than ever because of Reach)

19. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    I hope 343's next game will focus on what happened to S117.

Maybe like a game where you are trying to track him down.

20. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    And yet, Noble Team's sacrifices on Reach seemed to be far more compelling than Sierra 117's battles combined. I wouldn't mind more expansions or even another standalone game featuring Noble, if only to flesh them out a bit more. Unlikely to happen I know, given this is Bungie's last Halo game and all that, but it'd sure be interesting.

21. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Wow what a great game! Easily my fav Halo of all although I havent played ODST yet.... Oh yeah or Halo Wars.

22. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Halo Wars was FUN over Live.

23. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I decided to get a cheap copy of Halo Wars to tide me over 'til Reach. At first it was just to get missing achievements and whatnot. But once I got into multiplayer, that's when the game became 10 times as awesome. It's one thing to go against decidedly tough AI enemies when playing campaign or skirmishes on Legendary. But the unpredictability of humman oppponents (and even partners) makes every match a real nailbiter. I'll eventually go back to HW once I burn out of Reach; it really is one of the truly value packed games of the Halo franchise and it's a damn shame we may never get a worthwhile sequel for it.

24. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Speaking of Halo Wars, is there still a lot of people playing it over Live? I'm itching to go off and buy another copy (I traded mine in last year, I believe).

25. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    I kind of play it on and off. Since Reach came out I haven't touched it, but every few months it just becomes my go-to game for a week or two. Very underrated game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.