"Halo: Reach" - Speculation, hopes and discussion.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kakkay, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: LAJ_FETT, MarcusP2, The2ndQuest
  1. -Phoenix- Force Ghost

star 5
    The Reach campaign was pretty good, but it really made me realize the first one is easily the best.
  2. DarkEagle Force Ghost

star 4
    I very much agree here. I harldy found any points in the Reach campaign that were, to say simply, fun, unlike in games 1-3. I knew not trading in 3 was a good idea; replaying The Ark and The Covenant make keeping it so worth it. [face_dancing]

On tech: it kinda seemed like the Covenant was more advanced in Reach than in all of the others, while humanity was years behind...
  3. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Yup, those two levels -- the Ark and the Covenant -- sealed the deal for me as to which is indeed the superior game in the series. I had forgotten just how massive and epic those levels were. Reach?s campaign simply has NOTHING that compares to the battles waged there. Long Night of Solace and POA come close, but not nearly enough.

As for the Covenant being more advanced in Reach, I don?t know, but the inconsistencies with their tech really bothered the hell out of me. It took ?em all of a few weeks to ditch the needle and focus rifles in favor of the more effective carbine and beam rifles? How did the Banshee devolve from a nimble and versatile one man flyer into the clumsier vehicle from Halos 1-3? How come there were no Revenant chariots in any of the events following the fall of Reach? And let?s not forget about armor abilities ? which BOTH sides had ? that were mysteriously lost AFTER Reach?! It?s like Bungie forgot the lesson that shoulda been learned after the Prequel Trilogy: if you?re making a prequel, then at least you have got to try to make certain things look either more dated than or at the very least as contemporary as possible with the previous episodes.
  4. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Having not played Halo 3 yet, I can't comment on that campaign. I have to say that there was a lot that I love about Reach. It was a bit depressing as the fate of Reach was already known, but I don't think that mattered much to me. The space level was pretty awesome, the jump pack level was cool too. If anything, it's made me want to go out and buy Halo 3 and ODST.
  5. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I'm playing through the Halo 3 and I'm lost. Can someone give me a quick run down on what happened in Halo and Halo 2?
  6. Chance the Jedi Force Ghost

star 5
    I think you should just go out to gamestop and buy the first two games, they're both probably less than $10.
  7. DarkEagle Force Ghost

star 4
    watch this up until 4:44, right after "Alright, Shoot"
  8. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    That's fantastic, thanks. Answered pretty much everything I wanted to know.

Edit: I got Halo ODST yesterday, and I'm looking forward to that arriving. I think I might be turning into a squealing Halo fangirl, though I haven't started squealing yet or writing fanfic, that'll come when the Halo remake is release.
  9. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    I guess that might answer your questions faster than anything I could've spent two hours writing. You can also wiki the events of Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2 for more detailed info.

Admittedly, it is better to play the games than just read their cliffnotes. If the Halo: CE remake is a reality, I guess you can pick that one up to enjoy the first story with a more advanced graphics engine and gameplay features the original game lacks (making it less fun). The game has not aged well and going through The Library without the handy Halo 3 equipment or Reach's Armor Abilitites is decidedly less fun as time goes by. As for getting Halo 2, that might be a bit tougher, since you'll probably have a hard time finding a good copy in your nearest EB/GameStop discount bin. I think eBay is your friend here.
  10. The_Jedihunter Jedi Knight

The next Halo:Reach map pack has now been announced. This should be interesting since it will be released by 343 instead of Bungie. All in all it looks great. Defiant Map pack to be released in March.
  11. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Has anyone got the whole armour set? I'm trying to get Kat's arm and armour but I don't know what I need to get to unlock it or anything.
  12. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Well, you need to keep playing in order to rack up enough credits and rank for the pieces to unlock. The prosthetic arm is selected in the Armory on the "chest" section and, IIRC, it's available once you reach the rank of Commander. There are three possible pieces to choose from, but so none will have the precise campaign look for Kat since her chest piece is just plain standard Mjolnir Mk. V. The one that mostly resembles her campaign model is Collar/Breacher R. The helmet that mostly resembles her campaign model's is Air Assault FC-I. Both shoulder pieces should be FJ/Para. Primary armor color should be Ice. If you're into Firefight, obviously you'll want to pick up her voice. Hope that helps!
  13. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Thanks a lot for that! I'm not even a quarter of the way to Commander yet though, but I am liking the helmet. Also, I just unlocked the Police helmet in Halo Waypoint, which is pretty cool.

Also, here's a tip for getting the Firefight achievements easily: Set your settings to the highest with invulnerability on and set the enemy to the lowest settings possible. It took me a while to get Killionaire though, but the points and the survival achievements are easy to get. You do have to make sure it's set to 'Legendary' difficulty though, but being invulnerable doesn't you getting them. If you get a long enough game with high point targets you should be able to get 1 million points. I recommend something with a high blast radius and a high rate of fire.
  14. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Yeah, the Firefight achievements were pretty much freebies given out by Bungie. They simply knew it'd be impossible to get some of them under normal conditions. So customized, ridiculous games in God-mode are the way to go there.
  15. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    I recant my previous statement about Winter Contingency on Mythic difficulty as being one of the toughest Halo fights you'll ever endure. This week's weekly challenge tops it by a thousandfold: Oni: Sword Base, LASO difficulty (Legendary All Skulls On). No easy skippable fights this time around, rather one intense combat encounter after another against dozens of damn near immortal Ultras, Generals, Wraiths, Banshees, Revenants and Hunters (oh my); with almost no ammo, almost no Nobles to rely on, and no crosshair to place critical hits with. All for a measly 11,000 cr.

Very exciting indeed. [face plain]
  16. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Challenge beaten, and only because its requirements are a bit misleading. Turns out it's not a pure LASO challenge since you CAN have the Blind skull off, so at least you have your crosshair and HUD available. However, that does you little good while on foot and engaging one tougher foe after another (or a whole bunch of them at the same time!). It was a very, VERY lenghty, painful and aggravating experience, even with the quick save upon death trick. Tackle it if you're feeling brave and up to the challenge, but I'd feel a lot better about it if the credit payoff was much, MUCH higher.
  17. Chance the Jedi Force Ghost

star 5
    I've just hit the Brigadier rank. Bought myself the Mark VI helmet.:D
  18. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Yeah, I figure that's my next purchase as well.
  19. timmoishere Chosen One

star 6
    Meanwhile I'm saving up for Inclement Weather. Ugh.
  20. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    How long does it take to get to that rank? As much as I want to get there I'm not sure I have the many hours it'll need.
  21. timmoishere Chosen One

star 6
    It really depends. An average Slayer match will usually net you around 1000cr, if not more. Then there are the daily/weekly challenges as well as the commendation ranks for Matchmaking, Campaign and Firefight. It can add up quickly, but it can still be frustrating to see that progress bar barely move when you get a bunch of credits.
  22. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Yeah, bear in mind two things here:

1) Rank is no longer a pure measure of skill as it was in Halo 3. Now it's a combination of how much you play the game, how well you do in a match, what multikills or feats your pull-off and other factors I can't even fathom. So don't feel too bad if you're a lowly warrant officer pitting yourself against a group of Generals or higher ranks; you might kick their asses while they only got to those ranks by playing tons of firefight.

2) The credit distances between some ranks are utterly staggering. I've just made Brigadier Grade 3. And to get up to General, I've gotta rack up over 211,000 creds. So yeah, given how much I usually play this game on any given week, I'll be in Brig Grade 3 for quite a bit. Good thing is I'll be able to afford two new helmets by the time I make General. But I think I'm giving up on getting Inclement Weather anytime soon...or later.
  23. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Yeah, see, I think it's just a bit too big. Either that or there are too many ranks.

Quick question. When doing a custom firefight which enemy gets the highest score per kill?
  24. DarkEagle Force Ghost

star 4
    Wraiths and Hunters are highest iirc, but they don't come in huge waves, so most per wave is Elite Generals I believe
  25. -Phoenix- Force Ghost

star 5
    Took me a long time to reach General, but I was able to relax a bit more after completing it. My new Security helmet and shoulder are sure nice to look at. :p
Moderators: LAJ_FETT, MarcusP2, The2ndQuest
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.