main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Halo: Reach" - Speculation, hopes and discussion.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Kakkay, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I don't think he "gets" it.

2. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    I love the Halo story when it links to the Forerunner in some way. The reason I loved Halo 3 so much was because of the Terminals and all that, and it was pretty much all about the Forerunner.

According to the games, the war between the UNSC and Covenant really pales in comparison to the massive war the Forerunner had with Flood, and frankly I find it much more interesting than what we're shown in the trilogy.

ODST was fun to play for the slightly different gameplay mechanics it brought to the table, but because it didn't link to the Forerunner and was just another humans vs. non-humans thing, it kind of felt boring.

Not to say I'm not excited for Reach, and I'm sure it will be a good game and I will probably buy it, but I'm hoping there is some Forerunner connection to be found on the planet [face_praying]

3. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    Yeah, that sums up why I'm not really all that excited about Reach. The real story arc has run its course and the human-covenant war isn't all that interesting or important to the overall plot. I mean, the Covenant was a red herring put into the first game just to distract you from the Flood.

ODST was a smart game gameplay wise, but playing it made me realize Halo is sort of boring when you leave out all of the alien politics or the Flood/Forerunners. It's just space marines killing generic aliens, something you see over and over in sci-fi.

4. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    I'm also hoping for a bit more attention paid to the Covenant in Reach, but I also just want to have Noble Team and other supporting characters well fleshed out, to give it some impact.

5. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    There IS a Forerunner connection to Reach. Problem is, it probably won't be dealt with in this game as it was in the novel First Strike. It remains to be seen how the game will alter the canon in regards to the Covenant's intentions regarding Reach. Before HR, Reach fell rather quickly as a result of a two pronged attack: Thel Vadam'ee's fleet pounded the UNSC fleet and orbital MAC statons, pouring massive waves of landing crafts with ground forces. Those that made it planet side had the sole purpose of disabling the generators that powered said MAC stations, just so the Covenant fleet would comfortably glass most of the planet while at the same time look for their precious Forerunner relics in the one spot they didn't glass.

I figure the folks at Bungie and MS have the option of disregarding the novel completely or otherwise modify the game's plot so as to fit into the established canon. If they'll disregard the novel completely or otherwise do a massive retcon, I hope then they give us one incredibly massive and epic battle just so I won't mind the retcon that much.

6. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
  7. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    One thing I noticed was "Invasion"...which could be the new "Firefight." Could "Headhunter" be a SWAT free-for-all of sorts? All they show are headshot kills -- maybe doming someone has them drop every skull they're carrying (plus one) for you to add to your collection?

Looks like Reach's multiplayer will be the best Halo MP yet. Sprinting, evasive rolling, assassination animations, jet packs, new MP modes, and whatever "active roster" is (clan support?/mini-squads in the game?). Damn. I just hope everything is balanced correctly, which the Beta will help with, at least.

BTW, could this mean we can now pilot a Phantom?

[image=http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/7938/haloreach.jpg]

8. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    I'm thinking that's probably just related to Firefight, showing the Phantom about to drop some more troops off or something. Or something related to that.

Amazing trailer though.

Also this day marks the -543 year anniversary of the end of the Human-Covenant war.

9. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Haven't seen the trailer yet and won't be able to 'til I get home, but considering how sick I am of the standard Halo MP, I hope Reach's will offer something truly worthwhile.

I've said once and will say it again, the guys behind ODST dropped the ball bigtime not offering Firefight through Matchmaking. If they saw the error of their ways and offer us a true Halo Horde mode...face_dancing]

10. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    [image=http://xs.to/image-5529_4B8EA339.gif] [image=http://xs.to/image-93E1_4B8EA339.gif] [image=http://xs.to/image-6C92_4B8EA339.gif] [image=http://xs.to/image-936D_4B8EA927.gif] [image=http://xs.to/image-C1FA_4B8EA927.gif]

I really hope there's more depth to being an Elite than what's shown in the trailer. It looked like all they can do is roll, no customization, and no perks like the jet pack. The rolling almost seems incredibly useless. Sure, you can dash across a doorway or something, but it's not something a decent player would want to get caught in during a competitive match. And with Halo's crazy melee-lunges, you'd just get beat to hell in the process anyways.

People are going to hate, but I loved the roll in Perfect Dark Zero. Now if only the Shotgun reload is as cool as that one, I'll be all set.

Anyone that has played Halo even for a short amount of time will see how much of a risk Bungie is taking with this one. In my opinion, the people that always wanted Halo to be "different" are the same people who never even play Halo, so Bungie is actually doing what a lot of haters have asked for.

11. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Saw the trailer...and in all honesty, I was left sorta like "meh".

Mein Gott in Himmel...is it possible? I'm no longer a Halo fanboy? :eek:

Perhaps it has to do with my being submerged in the awesomeness of a story heavy title like Mass Effect 2 and now a standard FPS just doesn't do it for me, but it is a ...disturbing development nonetheless. Maybe I oughta go back to Halo 3 for a month or so to see if I can shake that weird feeling off and start caring again...

12. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    I'm betting that rolling isn't exclusive to Elites and Armour Abilites aren't exclusive to Spartans. I think that's just how it's been shown in the trailer, but I think in the end they'll both balance out.

And I love Halo probably more than any other entertainment franchise, but I was one of those people asking for change. This is no longer the Master Chief trilogy. There should be no reason we can't explore new facets of gameplay. And while this isn't what I had in mind, it does look interesting and fun.

I'm not totally sold on jetpacks, but if it works, it works.

13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I figure the jetpacks thing is evocative of TRIBES. Never played that game but I think it has a solid cult fan base even today.

14. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    It's looking a lot like the jet packs are really only going to be for very short bursts of elevation, pretty much like the grav lift from Halo 3. The more I think about it, the less worried I am.

15. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, I can't figure how you'd be able to sustain flight with those things, figure it's gotta be one of those loadouts/limited ability things. And as annoying as hovering tangos might be, it's nothing that a well placed shot can't take care of.

16. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    I am betting something similar to the Mandalorians jetpacks.

17. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    Oh for sure, they'll definitely just be a nice floating target to anyone who joyrides around with one. I imagine they'll be used purely to jump up to a higher level or battle, maybe to get out of a sticky situation.

18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    That's a more likely purpose. And using jetpacks will be a risky move regardless, considering you become this floating slow moving snipeable target while using it. I figure Bungie will tweak it considerably or otherwise discard it depending whatever feedback they get during the beta tests.

19. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    So...I'm wondering who were the four "VIPs" who recently got to play Reach?

I would assume that they were top level MLG Players, but nobody knows any of them who actually live in the Seattle area. Most likely MS suits, maybe 343 people, maybe MS engineers. I really hope they weren't "celebrities," though. I still get butthurt every time I remember that Hillary Duff got to play Gears 1 before me.

[image=http://i47.tinypic.com/2lazoti.png]

Also, is this the Reach equivalent of the Sentinel Beam? Kinda looks like the "Gravity Wrench," or something like that from those old Halo 1 videos. Jeez, this game is gonna be amazing.

20. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    It better damn be! As for whoever the 4 VIPs were, lucky bastards, all of 'em. I do hope though that Bungie allows the beta to run a hell of a lot longer than Halo 3's did.

21. _Spartan-117_

_Spartan-117_ Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Holy cripes! Why am I always the last one to come to the awesome threads?
    BTW im giddy with excitement at the whole look of this game, and that GIF with the jetpack made me feel faint.

Set the awesome level at code "brown" people.

22. APOLLO608

APOLLO608 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2010
    For some reason I enjoyed Halo 2's multiplayer a lot better than Halo 3's. I hope Reach is better than Halo 3, if not I'll be super disappointed. [face_monkey]

23. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    Oh by the looks of things, this will probably the best Halo game yet, and possibly the best multiplayer on any console. I want to make an early prediction and say that Reach could be a huge contender for GOTY.

24. DarthSubZero

DarthSubZero Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    So no one here has mentioned the new differences Elites and Spartans.

You know, reading the Bungie website wouldn't hurt. [face_plain]

25. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    Ha, these days I spend as much time at Bungie as I do here. I just always forget to post updates, since there isn't a huge Halo following here.

Check out the three editions of the game though.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=25773

I gotta say, although it's expensive, I'm a huge Halo fan and love the look of that statue. Plus since this time it will come with everything also included in the Limited edition, and I just might have to pick it up. Call me a fanboy. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.